Hotels and Travel Agents in Delhi

Apr 24th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Hotels and Travel Agents in Delhi

Can anyone recommend a decent, centrally located hotel in Delhi that is clean and has a pool but is less than $100. I am surprised at the high price of hotels in Delhi and it does not seem to have a large selection of mid priced hotels. I've looked on Tripadvisor.com and some of the reviews of supposed 5 star deluxe hotels are downright scary. I have also been told that I could possibly get cheaper rates by going through a travel agent in India. Can anyone recommend a good agent who could help with hotels and domestic travel? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Apr 25th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 4th, 2005, 04:12 AM

I certainly think you should be able to get any number of decent hotels in Delhi for under $100; which ones have a pool, however, I wouldn't know (in five weeks in India we only stayed at one hotel which had a pool, and that was in Jaipur; but it was still only about 750 rupees for a double!)

I think maybe I can help you with a travel agent; send an email to Sanjay at [email protected]. I can't quite remember how we managed to stumble across Sanjay; I think we were just surfing the net for Delhi hotels and we sent several emails to people asking about prices. He was easily the most attentive of the lot, sending us about eight or ten emails to make sure he had what we wanted. And he found us quite a bargain (but no pool!) as the hotel he put us into was affiliated with his travel agency, and so he got us special rates ($15 a night for an air-conditioned room with ensuite, frig, and colour TV). But the great thing about Sanjay is that his attention didn't stop when we made the booking; he kept in touch with us by email, found out when and where we were arriving in Delhi, made sure we were met at the railway station, even though it was after 10 p.m., and then -- best of all -- when we arrived at the hotel, there he was at the front door, waiting for us to make sure we were comfortable and happy (cups of chai at the ready). The next night he called in on us again to see if there was anything more he could do for us (more chai). We needed cheap transportation at the airport at an ungodly hour to catch a 6 a.m. flight.... no problem, his driver was there waiting for us, at a pre-determined price. And he was there, too, to wish us well.

I don't know the name of the agency he works for --maybe it's "Access India", from the email address -- but it's just a tiny place -- one room with three or four computers; and although I know he organises tours as well as booking hotels, I can't tell you anything more about those tours, as all we took from him were two nights' budget accommodation and four cups of chai. However, he still sends us emails, just to say hello, and I always think of our meeting him as one of the nicest things that happened to us in India. Maybe he will do something good for you, too. You can certainly use my name as an "introduction" if you decide to email him. Good luck!
May 4th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Alan thanks for the great info.
May 5th, 2005, 06:08 AM

The intercontinental is really good. We stayed at the one in South Delhi in 2003 and paid $85 USD. If you want to stay in Central delhi (Connought Place) try the Nikko hotel which is pretty good.