Hotel question for Cambodia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had a very reputable guide offer to book a room for us at the Victoria Angkor Resort and Spa. The price that the guide can get is a considerable savings over the advertised price. I will need to reimburse the guide in cash for this Resort/Spa. I am concerned that I might show up and there will be no room. I was intending to carry USD to pay for the guide services and the hotel, but am a little leary about carrying much cash in my travels. Does anybody have advice on how best to handle this situation since it is a savings for the lodging?
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM

Email the hotel and confirm your reservation with them. That will ease your worries about a romm being there.

Take an ATM card and get cash from the machines in Siem Reap. They spit out dollars. I think we were able to 500$ a day. Or take crisp new $100 bills in a money belt.

Just make sure you test your ATM card before you go, and let your bank know where you'll be using it. I use a strictly ATM card- not a debit card with the visa or MC logo- so that it can only be used in an ATM machine with my PIN #.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM

Lots of people book hotels through their guides and take cash to pay. lcuy's advice to check with the hotel to confirm will ease your mind.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM

this is normal in SR and guides often offer this service....
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM

Don't be worried about the room; this is pretty standard practice.

And if you do call to check the reservation, don't be too alarmed if the reservation is not in your name...it might be in your guide's name.

ATM's are the best way to go for getting cash; if you're worried about that you can also bring traveler's checks. You can cash them for a 2-3% charge.