Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Wanchai

Search

Hong Kong Wanchai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Tony

Hong Kong Wanchai

I will be in Hong Kong, Wanchai district, next week. Could someone recommend a good mid priced restaurant. I don't want to make a bad choice first night out ! Authentic chinese please.<BR>Thanks

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Wanchai

I used to go to Wanchai all the time. But not for Chinese food. I cannot think of a good Chinese restaurant in Wanchai at the moment. Wanchai is mainly a bar area, and a lot of tiny Chinese restaurant - usually don't look so clean according to American standard. But I definitely recommend you to walk a little bit further (or take the subway to the next stop) to Admiralty. There is a big mall called Pacific Place (the subway has an exit to its restaurant level). Every restaurant there is excellent. Enjoy!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Wanchai

Ok, forgot to mention in my last reply about "mid priced." In general food is really cheap in Hong Kong. I don't really know the price level in your mind. In the Chinese restaurant in Pacific Place, for 2 persons, it is usually US$30-40. Remember people don't tip in HK.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Tony

Thanks a lot for the info,Pacific Place it is then !<BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Ada

Like the other author, I can't think of any restaurant names in Wanchai either. One place I think is easy to find and good is at Time Square (big shopping, office, restaurant building) in Causeway Bay, right next to Wanchai. Take the glass elevator on the side to get to the restaurant floors- there are a quite a few Chinese and non Chinese restaurants, all clean, decent looking, mid-priced. Time Square is a very popular place for locals, so I guess it should be "authentic"!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:54 PM
John G

I found some really great dim sum parlors in the residential neighborhood of Hung Hom. You can take the Star Ferry over from Hong Kong in 15 minutes.<BR>There were two that were near the famous shopping mall in Hong Hom, which is within easy walking distance from the ferry pier. I can remember paying about $7 and being stuffed at both places. The best thing was that there weren't any Occidentals in these restaurants and everything was authentic.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:22 PM
Fred

There is a very traditional, authentic neighborhood restaurant in Wanchai called, believe it or not, American Restaurant. It actually serves Beijing style food in a very old-HK atmosphere.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:34 PM
Keith

Try Lao Ching Heng restaurant in basement of Century Hotel ... great Shanghainese food.