Reload this Page >

Hong Kong - Stanley Market Etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Michele

I will be in Hong Kong about 12 hours. <BR>I am looking to see: <BR> Victoria Peak <BR> Stanley Market <BR> Wong Tai Sin Temple <BR>About how long does it take to get to Stanley Market? By bus? By Taxi? Any ideas on how much it would cost by taxi? <BR>(ie is all this doable in 12 hrs) <BR> <BR>Any ideas on Repulse Bay vs Stanley Market. <BR> <BR>Any other things not to miss in Hong Kong? <BR> <BR>Thanks,

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 08:59 AM
charlie

You should go Lan Kwai Fong area and Wan Chai area too. <BR> <BR>If you want to know a more information, pls let me inform to my email adress since I can easily notice your suggestions. <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:52 PM
gayle

Hi Charlie, can you please post any info to help Michele on this forum also. I would be interested in your reply as we are leaving in a weeks time for China and Hong Kong - thank you

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 04:43 PM
lynn

Michele - <BR> <BR>If you only have 12 hours I don't think Stanley is worth the effort at all. <BR> <BR>You must see Victoria Peak and ride the Star Ferry across the harbor. For good shopping, check out Ladies' Market (Open after 12 noon) and Temple Street Night Market which opens at sunset. Much more interesting (not so touristy as Stanley) and pretty cheap. Wanchai also has some sample stores with things for sale. <BR> <BR>If you have time, try the Peak Cafe for dinner. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 08:46 PM
charlie

Gayle too: <BR> <BR>Just remember that HK is small to get around. <BR>HK is divided into HK island and Kowloong and ferry is back and forth it's two land. Metro is too. <BR>HK island's main metro is central, admiral, wanchai, causeway bay. <BR>You can get anything just nearby these 4 metro. REMEMBER! <BR>Also you shouldn't miss Kowloon, especially Chimsachui area. <BR> <BR>If you need any more info, pls let me know to my email(more detailed info) or this post. <BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 05:40 AM
james

hk in 12 hrs: park your bag at the airport luggage storage, take airport express train (do not take the bus) to Central (takes 27min). from Central, take Star Ferry over to Kowloon and walk along the path next to harbour for geat view of hk island. Take the ferry back to HK island, not much to else to see in Kowloon and damn too crowded. from central, take a cab (cheap, do not take bus, cost about usd 15) to stanley mkt (nice drive), see the shops and walk around the main street. for lunch, take a cab to happy vallye for dimsun at Dimsum Restaurant (shing woo road, i believe). aft lunch, cab it to holleywood road for antiques and walk to the end (nice chinese temple ). from there, cab it to Tea Museum in Central, good tea parapenaria for reasonable price, then walk to Peak Tram to victoria peak. go to peak before sunset so you could look around the park. then when it get dark, the best time to view hk. then come down on peak tram and cab it to central and then to Airport Express. If you got time for dinner, take a free boat from Rainbow Rest that land at Queen`s peer in central to pick up customers. this will take you to lamma island 30min away , have seafood dinner, take the free boad back. walk to Airport Express and take off. Call Rainbow Rest for times, i think it pick up every 30 min or so. there is no way anyone can get lost in hk, ask anybody and take a cab (it`s cheap and most everyone speak english)

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Ross

Well, Michelle, I'm going to assume you really want to do want you've proposed (I think it's a very good one-day itinerary) and avoid giving you too many other alternatives! <BR> <BR>I'm assuming you'll arrive first thing in the morning. You can take the airport express train to Central, then take the MTR to Wong Tai Sin. It's a superb temple -- colorful, extremely busy and very representative of HK traditional religious practice. The morning is often the busiest time. You just follow the signs provided in the MTR station, and you'll come up from an exit to street level right by it. It's hard to miss. <BR> <BR>Take the MTR back to Tsim Sha Tsui, on the Kowloon side, and just have a passing glance at Nathan Road, the HK tourist mecca, as you walk down to the Star Ferry. A previous poster was right in that you really must ride it at least once. <BR> <BR>You'll land in Central. From there you can either take a cab to Stanley from right at the Star Ferry Terminal, or, if you've got a bit more time, take the number 6 or 6X buses. Their terminus is in Exchange Square, which is just five minutes' or so walk from Star Ferry. The bus ride itself is more fun than a taxi to Stanley, since you can sit in the upper storey of the bus (on the right hand side!!) and get great views of the scenery along the way. It'll take 30-40 minutes or so, depending on traffic. <BR> <BR>A couple of hours in Stanley will likely do you quite well, and there's a wide range of restaurants there -- Chinese, other Asian and western. I disagree with the previous poster who suggested Temple Street was a better choice than Stanley. Temple Street is an experience, but the quality of merchandise you'll find there is lower than in Stanley, and it's less scenic and pleasant to visit. It also doesn't really get swinging till at least 8 or 9 pm, which may not work with your schedule. Also, if I had only 12 hours in HK, I'd go to Stanley, not Repulse Bay. There's more to do in Stanley, with the market, and if you take the bus you'll pass right through Repulse Bay on your way to Stanley anyway. RB features a decent beach, a very grand hotel, and a lot of upmarket housing. <BR> <BR>From Stanley, get back to Central (at this point you might indeed want to taxi it to save time). Take the Peak Tram up to the Peak. Don't stay in the Peak Tram station; it's an architectural abomination and it's filled with tacky shops and "attractions" like "Ripley's Believe it or not". Instead, get out on the road behind the Peak Tran Station, and find a broad paved walking path you'll see going off into the trees to the right. It's called "Lugard Road", and I believe there's a sign for it. You'll walk for 15 minutes or so and just see glimpses of the stupendous view off to your right, but then suddenly the trees will clear and you'll be looking out over one of the best vistas in the world. Doing this little walk is the best right at or just before dusk; you can see the city in the daylight, and then watch the night time view emerge -- I think it's better at night. <BR> <BR>If you have just a little extra time for refreshment before getting back to the airport, you can stop at the Cafe Deco in the shopping mall opposite the Peak Tram station. If you've got time for dinner, you can go back down into town. Do a little research and try to make your choice memorable, since food is such a big part of the HK experience. You could pick a restaurant anywhere in Central, Wanchai, Causeway Bay or Tsim Sha Tsui and still have no trouble getting back to the airport in time. <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage!

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 09:15 PM
Gary

I took a cab from Central to Stanley Market, about 30 minutes, about $20 or so.