Hong Kong restaurants

Jan 27th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Hong Kong restaurants

We will be in Hong Kong in February and would appreciate knowing an updated review of Gaddis. What is an approximate cost for dinner? Is it a better choice than Petrus for a special occasion? In addition, I would appreciate other recommendations for mid price dinners, especially in or near Pacific Place. Thank you!!
Jan 27th, 2004, 11:27 AM

I last ate at Gaddi's a little over a year ago. A three-course set lunch was HK$340 (US$44) per person, including a glass of house wine. The four to six course dinner menu with wine was HK$650-HK$950 (US$83-US$122). The menus is French with inventive additions from chef Philip Sedgwick?s sojourns at various Michelin-starred restaurants around Europe. Typical dishes are such as the roast Boston lobster with black taggiasche olives and fondant potatoes, and twice-cooked suckling pig with olive oil-braised shallots, baby artichokes and fondant potatoes in an aged cider vinegar sauce, all served in a smart chandeliered, blue and gold space?a Hong Kong institution which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2003.

If you think this 'mid price' then you have plenty of choice in Hong Kong. At The Peninsula there's also Felix on the 25th floor. It's more casual than Gaddi's, and the food is pan-Pacific fusion (chef Dee-Ann Tsurumaki is Hawaiian), but the views and Starck's bizarre interior design will both help to make it an occasion.

Much nearer to Pacific Place there's what I think is still Hong Kong's best Italian (despite fairly intense competition), which is Grissini inside the Grand Hyatt (about US$70 per person). Further west on the island M at the Fringe is perennially popular, with its arty interior and continental menu with hints of the middle east (about US$45). I also like Veda, which is excellent Indian food covering cuisine from Tamil Nadu to Kashmir, presented with French style and subtlety in an ultra-modern interior (about US$50). Wine not included in these prices.

Obviously the best thing to eat in Hong Kong is Chinese food, but from the enquiry I'm guessing something else is wanted.

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Peter. I didn't make myself clear. I was also looking for other restaurants (chinese preferably) that were not as expensive as Gaddis. Any suggestions would be appreciated !!
Jan 27th, 2004, 10:29 PM

A few personal favourites:

Fifty-year-old Yung Kee, 32-40 Wellington St, Central (2523 1624), which won a 2001 Best of the Best award for prawns with mini-crab roe wrapped in tofu skin, but is better known for its barbecued goose with thick plum sauce. More intriguing are the fried toad legs with pepper and salt. HK$200.

The City Hall Chinese Restaurant, 2/F Lower Block, City Hall Central (2521 1303) won the judges? attention with its deep-fried crispy chicken with garlic sauce, but is best-known for the Cantonese speciality, dim sum--plump and well-crafted har gao (wrapped prawns), siu mai (pork dumplings) and other standards. HK$100.

Dim Sum, G/F 63 Sing Wo Road, produces the Rolls-Royce versions in an interior reminiscent of 30s Shanghai. The leong har gao have not merely shrimp, but lobster inside, and the siu mai include shark?s fin?all delicious. HK$150.

Tung Lok Hin, 2/F Oxford House, Taikoo Place, Quarry Bay (2250 5022) is a a new type of Chinese with the simple, understated modern interior adopted by many Western restaurants. The menu is of Cantonese classics, far plainer than expected, and not smothered by overly syrupy sauces. An attentive sommelier presides over a startlingly sophisticated wine list. HK$400.

The same simple perfection is brought to a pan-Chinese range of dishes at the Grand Hyatt?s One Harbour Road, (try camphor tea smoked duck) which splendidly recaptures the style of eating on a taipan?s terrace, and also offers an as yet unpublicised chef?s table tucked inside what was his office (2588 1234). HK$600.

The Peninsula?s Spring Moon (2315 3160) also lets a few visitors go behind the scenes of its Art Deco stained glass and dark wood interior, recently retrofitted to the style of the hotel?s 1928 opening. The roast pigeon with cinnamon is splendid, best taken with one of a choice of 25 teas in extraordinary teapots. HK$600.

The quiet Moon Garden Tea House, 5 Hoi Ping Road, Causeway Bay (2882 6878) can offer 70 teas, including a number of rare specimens, together with demonstrations and explanations in English. There?s no menu, but those who want to eat lightly during the day can sit amongst elaborate traditional Chinese furniture and sample a variety of northern and southern snacks from whatever?s fresh. HK$200.

Chiu Chow dishes from northeast Guangdong are common in Hong Kong. Tung?s Kitchen, 32-34 Lock Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon (2191 9928), also likes to cook with tea (try sauteed sliced chicken with water chestnut and Saimao tea leaves). Its classic Chiu Chow dish is soya goose meat slices rub in five spice powder. HK$140. I did hear this has closed, so I'd call ahead and check.

In terms of a 'special occasion' Tung Lok Hin (east of Pacific Place), One Harbour Road (the nearest), and Spring Moon would be the right choices, but as you see, you pay for what you get. Bustling and colourful Yung Kee in Central would be a compromise choice.

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:16 AM

There are many excellent restaurants in Admiralty (where Pacific Place is). Try walking to the Citic Pacific Tower and have dinner at Victoria Seafood. The chinese restaurants in both the Shangri-la and Marriott are also very good. For variety, there is also a Shanghainese restaurant in Pacific Place which serves decent food with live entertainment at night (at least used to but not sure about now). For other suggestions, please check www.chowhound.com.
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:26 AM

two favorites of ours are: in wanchai---italiean ---amaroni's little italy

and dim sum---the basement restaurant in the kowloon hotel...directly in back of the peninsula hotel and owned by them...