Hong Kong restaurant with best view?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to piggy pack on my last queston. What restaurant in Hong Kong would have a dynamite view at night? I think I am going to save some money on my hotel room and spend it on a great meal instead. I don't mind spending money for one special meal while I am in Hong Kong. Any suggetions?
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Consider Felix in the Peninsula.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 05:29 AM

(oops, hit post too soon)

Or Margaux in the Kowloon Shangri-La.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:14 PM

There are many places to choose from. You also have to chose WHICH view you want as you have three to choose from: the harbour view from the Kowloon side, the harbour view from the Hong Kong side down on the waterfront, or the harbour view from high up on the Peak on the Hong Kong side. The first and last are probably the best, and either are spectacular at night. Would be hard to decide. Hope you get a clear night (we are having a typhoon right now so no views at all).

Also, type of food might be a consideration. You don’t have to spend a lot of money, but you certainly can if you want. Some suggestions are below:

Expensive, great food and a great view, Kowloon side

Felix
The Peninsula Hotel
Salisbury Road, Kowloon
(852) 2920-2888
http://hongkong.peninsula.com

Top floor of the new wing, design by Philip Stark. Asian-Fusion. Great views IF you get a window table. Must see the bathrooms. They have a pretty lively bar too.

Nobu
Intercontinental Hotel
18 Salisbury Road
Kowloon
852 2721 1211
http://hongkong-ic.dining.intercontinental.com

Sushi restaurant, part of the chain. Neither Nobu nor Spoon have quite the open expansive views of Felix, but still quite nice views, ask to be seated as close to the window areas as possible. Very expensive.

Spoon
Intercontinental Hotel
18 Salisbury Road
Kowloon
852 2721 1211

Alain Ducassse restaurant. French and Asian-fusion. Quite expensive.

Moderate, Great Views, Kowloon Side

Aqua/Roma
Hutong
One Peking Road
Kowloon
Tel: 852:3428-8342
www.aqua.com.hk

This is three restaurants at one location, an Italian, a Chinese and a Japanese, all with great views. They are all good, the Chinese is Beijing style food and is very good. This group has several other restaurants in Hong Kong

Harbourside
Intercontinental Hotel
18 Salisbury Road
Kowloon
852 2721 1211

This is the hotel’s casual coffee shop restaurant. Great views. They have Asian and Western dishes, sandwiches, salads, etc and a huge buffet. Can please every taste. Open late. Good for pleasing a crowd. Generally do not need a booking, except if you have a very large group. Good service.

Casual to Moderate, Great Views at Windows, Kowloon side

Habitu -The Pier
Shop 63
Ground Floor, Ocean Terminal
(waterfront opposite Star Ferry)
Tel: 852-3101-0901

Good Italian, pastas and pizzas. Casual, modern decor, wood floors, a bit of a nautical theme. The attraction of this place IMO are the superb views, esp from the deck (they have heaters and umbrellas) which are only slightly marred by the Star Ferry piers but generally great. A deck seat or an inside table nearest the deck is really why you would want to come here; the food is good but I don't think I would travel here otherwise just for Italian food or if you could not get a window seat. The restaurant is on the ground floor of Ocean Terminal, about 100 yards to the right of the Star Ferry piers. Facing the Star Ferry piers, turn right and follow along the edge of the water, you will then come to/see a big flight of steps leading up on your right, stay to the left of these and on the ground level, and you will see the deck and restaurant on your farther left.

Quarterdeck Club Seafood Restaurant and Grill
Shop 53 ,Ground Floor
Ocean Terminal, Harbour City
Kowloon
Tel: 2735-8881

Good seafood but also steaks, pasta, pizza and burgers were all in evidence. Great deserts like Chocolate pie and Mars pie. Big portions. No outdoor area but get a seat right at the windows and you will have very good views. They have an outlet on the Hong Kong side with an outdoor deck right on the water with excellent views as well.

Expensive, great food and a great view, Hong Kong side

Restaurant Petrus
Island Shangri-La
Pacific Place,
Supreme Court Road
Tel: 852 2820 8590
http://www.shangri-la.com/hongkong/island/en/index.aspx

Excellent French food, wonderful service, crystal chandeliers and the works with a great view high over Central. Huge wine list. Jacket required for men.

Caprice
Four Seasons Hotel
8 Finance Street
Central
Tel: 852 3196-8888
Fax: (852) 3196-8899
http://www.fourseasons.com/hongkong/index.html

Very good French in a modern eclectic upscale French bistro type deco (you will understand when you see it). You probably should e-mail now for a booking if you are interested, esp for a weekend, as it is new and very popular. Very nice views if you get a window table. Prices are between HK$300-400 for lunch, but they have set lunches at HK$380 for 2 courses and HK$450 for 3 courses which would be a good value. Dinner appetizers average around HK$250, and entrees average about HK$500 (but are all over the map from HK$380 to HK$700). They have prix fixe dinner at HK$780 for 3 courses. They have a tasting menu for HK$1080, but the whole table has to order the tasting menu. Finally, they have a chef’s table in the open kitchen where the chef cooks in front of you a set meal he picks and the price is HK$8,000 per person (that’s just over US$1,000 and while I believe that includes wines I don’t think I will be ordering that one too soon myself….) I think the menu and prix fixe prices would be similar at the other restaurants in town.

Man Wah Restaurant
Mandarin Hotel
5 Connaught Road, Central Hong Kong
Tel 852 2522 0111
mandarin-oriental.com

This was just refurbished along with the rest of the hotel, and I think this is the most beautiful Chinese restaurant I have ever been in. Not glitzy with chandeliers and lots of gold, just nice clean-lined wooden furniture and soft colors. Shanghai cuisine. On the top floor of the Mandarin. It is small and elegant. The tables along the eastern wall (Chater Garden side) would have the best view, so try to book those. Very quiet and romantic, not for a noisy party, but good for a small celebration or quiet dinner. Very good food and service of course. Have a drink at the M Bar next door before or afterwards for the view as well.

ISOLA bar and grill
Shop 3071-75
IFC 2, 8 Finance Street
Central
Tel: (852) 2383 8765
http://www.isolabarandgrill.com/

Huge double-height windows, great outdoor terrace with nice harbor and city views. Expensive but good Italian. Pizzas are about HK$130 (US$16), so would be doable for lunch, their entrees start at about US$25. Great deserts. Nice bar. Personally if I were going to spend that much money for dinner, I would go elsewhere, but lunch here would be a nice idea, or a drink at sunset.

Moderate to Expensive, great food and a great view, Peak

Pearl on the Peak
Level 1, Peak Tower
128 Peak Road
tel: 852-2849-5123

This is a branch of the Pearl restaurant in Melbourne. Views are great, space is very nicely done up. Make sure you DON’T get the table by the big air conditioning unit; request one over the tram tracks for maximum views. Nice little bar. There is a small outdoor space which may work too. Seafood and other continental. Very good deserts, unusual selection. Prices around HK$300 for entrees and around HK$220 for appetizers. Nice wine list, predominately Australian.

Moderate, Great View, Peak

Café Deco
Peak Galleria
118 Peak Road
The Peak Hong Kong
Tel: 852.2849 5111
http://www.cafedecogroup.com/cafed/v_deco.asp

On the Peak in the mall across from the Peak Tram, a more casual place with an extensive menu of Western and Asian dishes. Great views IF you get a window seat. They have a small balcony where they serve as well. View is somewhat better than the food.

Moderate to Expensive , Great View, Hong Kong Side

ToTT's Asian Bar and Grill
The Excelsior Hotel
281 Gloucester Rd
Causeway Bay
34th floor
852-2837-6786
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/517000040.asp

A perennial favorite Asian-fusion that is hip with a an excellent view in Causeway Bay. Try for a window seat. They have a tiny outdoor bar area to take a quick drink and look. A fun place.

Harlan's
Shop 2075
IFC Mall
tel 2805 0566
http://www.harlans-ifc.com/serv_menus.php

Eclectic menu of continental and Asian, with some Tapas, pastas, and wood oven pizzas. Good deserts too. Very nice harbour view although only from a lowish elevation. Cigar bar and oyster bar. I think this place is better for lunch than dinner. He has sort of a private kitchen restaurant upstairs called H One which may have views too, I have not been.

Lumiere/Cuisine Cuisine (Sichuan and South American)
IFC Mall
8 Finance Street
Central, Hong Kong
Tel: 852-2393-3933

Lumiere is Sichuan and South American (yes, hard to believe), pretty good harbour views, although only from the third floor. Nice ambience and décor in both, good service.

Casual to Moderate, Great Views Outside on Deck, Hong Kong side

Quarterdeck Club Seafood Restaurant and Grill
Fleet Arcade Branch
Fenwick Pier
1 Lung King Street
Wanchai
Tel 2827 8882

This is the sister restaurant of the Quarterdeck which is on the Kowloon side as well. The Fenwick Pier outlet is the only place with outdoor seating right on the waterfront on Hong Kong Island. It is literally on the water and views are excellent.

There are also many many great restauarnts here which don't have any view, but have wonderful food. You will be spoiled for choice.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Besides the aqua restaurants, there are a few more cheaper eateries at 1 Peking Road. They're on lower floors, but still have good harborview.

10/F is Chao Inn. Pretty decent Chiu Chow cuisine. Only about HK$100 a person. Can be very busy.

8/F is San Francisco Steak House.

7/F is Kung Tak Lam, a Chinese vegetarian restaurant. Also about HK$100 or so per person.

I don't think any of these restaurants will qualify for the OP's "special" meal. Just want to add to the excellent list of "restaurants with a view" compiled by Cicerone.