Hong Kong or Toyko

Search

Hong Kong or Toyko

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2016, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong or Toyko

Trying to decide between these 2 destinations for a vacation in November. Would like suggestions between Hong Kong or Tokyo. Thank you.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 09:47 AM

How long do you have? What are your interests?
Old May 22nd, 2016, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Sightseeing and discovering new cultures. Have been to Beijing and enjoyed the sights very much.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:23 AM

If your timing is right, a mid-November trip to Japan is spectacular with the koyo (fall colors). I wouldn't consider just Tokyo, but it is very easy to get around Japan via train. How much time do you have for this vacation?

photos of our November trip to Japan: http://www.marlandc.com/Japan-2013
Old May 22nd, 2016, 12:15 PM

Japan's culture is unique, but I agree with Kathie, get out of Tokyo and go to Kyoto. To visit the two, I would recommend 8 nights at a minimum. You can realistically get a good overview of Hong Kong with 4 nights, although you would not have time to venture to Macau or one of the outlying islands.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 06:42 PM

In Tokyo the shrines to modern consumerism dwarf any other shrines you will find. There is no true getting away except to leave Tokyo.

Despite the amazing forest of skyscrapers, that's not really true of Hong Kong. From the the harbor to the mountains to cultural relics and the Aberdeen floating village, HK will probalby fit the bill for you.
Old May 31st, 2016, 01:24 AM

Tokyo in mid-November is especially delightful as that's when the Shichi-Go-San festival is held: girls aged 3 and 7 and boys aged 5 are taken to shrines in traditional dress. A visit to any shrine on a November weekend (and sometimes weekdays too) will yield plenty of photo opportunities of happy, excited , unbelievably kawaii kids. And I'm sorry but that comment about Tokyo being only a shrine to commerce can only have been made by someone who doesn't really know the city. It is a vast sprawling metropolis but composed of distinct neighbourhoods with many traditional, tranquil spots. HK - where I lived for five years - is one of the greatest spots on earth but cultural sightseeing is far richer in Tokyo. It does require some work though - ie go online as soon as you have dates to book a tour of the Imperial Palace - the East Gardens are free and open to the public but you can sign up for an extended tour of areas off limits otherwise. If time permits, of course visit Kyoto/Nara or even a day trip to Nikko but if you've only got a few days, Tokyo alone is worth it.
Old May 31st, 2016, 06:20 AM

I definitely think how long you have will be a key factor. Although you could do Tokyo in 4-5 days, or Tokyo+Kyoto in 8-9, if you have longer, Japan really lends itself to itineraries of any duration, 12, 15, 18, 21 nights, however many you have, you can create a perfect itinerary to make the most of that. We have visited in Sept/ Oct and in Oct / Nov and both were lovely times to be in Japan, we finished that second trip in Kyushu which is a farther south and a little warmer than Tokyo.

I'm planning my first trip to Hong Kong (for January) and I'm giving myself a week there during which time I'll also check out Macau and some of the outlying islands. Knowing my travel style, I reckon I could spend longer there, but I'm not sure most people would do so, though that said I know many who go back again and again.

So if you have a fixed number of days available, that may be a good starting point to work from?