Reload this Page >

Hong Kong: Is it really worth a visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Ben

I loved Thailand and am thinking of visiting Hong Kong for a few days and perhaps Thailand again. Is H.K. really that good? The hotels seem quite expensive so I'd be going there with very high expectations for the city. What do you think?

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Jean

Is Hong Kong worth the trip. Hong Kong has THE most beautiful harbour in the world, vying with Sydney for beauty, though I put HK first at night. <BR>The people are wonderful, happy, friendly. The night market is fun, though Chiangmai comes first in that category. <BR>You do not have to stay at the most expensive hotel in HK, though I know HK is on the top of the list for expensive cities. There are many less expensive places. If you are adaptable, then do not even book ahead, trust the hotel desk at the airport to get you a discounted room. You could save one/third of what you are being quoted now. <BR>Just returned from Thailand, love it. But Hong Kong is my favourite.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Diane

I was there 6 years ago for a week and loved it -- exciting, vibrant city. Haven't been to Thailand yet, but would return to Hong Kong without a second thought.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 06:28 PM
lynn

Ben - <BR> <BR>In my never to be humble opinion, HK is a must for SEA travel. Even if you never go back, you must see that skyline at night at least once in your life. <BR> <BR>As for hotels, try the YMCA on Kowloon. We stayed there once with a harbor view of the Hong Kong Island skyline. Only $115 a night. Don't be put off by the YMCA part. If you didn't know, you would just think it was a regular hotel. You get a regular room with a bathroom etc. <BR> <BR>Try the following sites for decent Asia hotel deals... <BR> <BR>planetholiday.com <BR>asiatravel.com <BR> <BR>HK is very different from BKK in many way. One thing you'll notice right off is that there are no touts walking up to you and telling you that everywhere you want to go is closed. Another thing is transportation. HK has a very nice subway that isn't difficult to use. <BR> <BR>My husband and I have both been to HK twice and BKK twice. We like both cities very much. We generally prefer BKK because of the great deals on food, hotels and shopping but HK has it's own charms. Well worth seeing at least once. You haven't lived until you've seen the sun set from up on the Peak and watched all the city lights come on. Breathtaking. <BR> <BR>I would recommend doing a combo trip to include 3 days in HK. That way, if you don't like it, you won't be there long. And if you do, you can schedule a longer trip next time. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 07:46 PM
Tri

Lynn, <BR> <BR>You are so cool for what you have done for all of us with your helpful reports and insights. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Cara

I would also recommend the YMCA. We stayed there last fall and found it to be a great location for getting around (right next to the Pennisula hotel) and was clean. And you can't beat the price when compared to the typical lodging costs in Hong Kong. <BR> <BR>Definitely make a stop in Hong Kong if you're going to be traveling in that region. The island has so much to offer for a traveler. Great food, beautiful scenery...

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 08:23 PM
lynn

Thanks, Tri. <BR> <BR>I appreciate the kind words. <BR> <BR>My husband thinks I'm going crazy emailing everyone my report. I keep explaining to him that I enjoy helping people and everyone seems to get a kick out of reading it. <BR> <BR>I'm happy to be able to pass along a few things we learned if it will help people have a better trip. <BR> <BR>Besides, I love talking about travel! <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR <BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 04:03 AM
Shelagh

Hong Kong is absolutely worth a visit. I am living in HK for five months - the people are friendly, the setting is incredibly beautiful, the food is marvellous, transportation is plentiful, cheap, and efficient. On top of that, there are hiking trails all over. On top of what everyone else has recommended if you have time, a visit to Kai Sung on a beautiful day, is a must. There is one downside, though, and that's the weather. While it hasn't been raining, it's been foggy and misting much of the time, as well as quite cool. Apparently, this changes in March, when it heats up...but it is tropical!

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Burta

Shelagh: <BR> <BR>I'm headed to Hong Kong in a couple of days. Can you tell me where Kai Sung is and how to get there? What is there to see there? <BR> <BR>I've been to Hong Kong many times, but not in a few years. Any new "must sees"?

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Ross

I think Shelagh most likely meant 'Sai Kung', not 'Kai Sung'. Sai Kung is a former fishing village that's now developed into a small suburb/city. It's got an almost mediterranean feel to it, with excellent seafood restaurants on the waterfront. <BR> <BR>The name Sai Kung also refers, however, to the very large and almost completely undeveloped country park area that lies mostly to the north and east of Sai Kung town. I hike there regularly, and can recommend it very highly indeed. It's mountainous and has some remote valleys and coastal areas that it seems couldn't possibly exist in Hong Kong. <BR> <BR>You can get there by taking the subway (MTR) to Diamond Hill station, and then getting a minibus or regular bus.