Search

Hong Kong for 3 days with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong for 3 days with kids

Hi,
We are going to HK on a 3 day stopover with 1 seven year old and a 14month baby.
I would love to hear suggestions what to see and particular any great places to eat.
many thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

We will be there late December 2006!!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:34 AM

great dim sum in the restaurant in the lower level of the kowloon hotel...
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:12 AM

We went in 2004 with a 8 and 5 year old, then again in 2005 with a 9 and 6 year as there was so much to do and they loved it so much. There is a new Disneyland that has just opened but we went to Ocean Park which was fantastic - just go on a weekday! Saying that the boys loved the shopping in HK even though they normally will use every excuse not to go. They also liked the Peak and going to the Islands - the list go on.
Where are you staying - it would help with places to eat?

Kate
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Well, you have picked the best month IMO to come to Hong Kong as the weather is fantastic and the skyscrapers will be lit for Christmas. Temps will be in the mid 70s F in the day, with lots of sun and virtually no rain. Temps can get cool at night so bring some layers, also for boat rides if you take them, see below.

The Hong Kong Tourist Association has put together a list already, take a look at http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...ly/index.jhtml, it probably has a zillion other ideas beyond mine. Here would be my suggestions, in no particular order:

1. The Star Ferry and the Peak Tram are like theme park rides, esp the Peak Tram, so I would definitely put those at or near the top of you list of things to do. There is a flat and very easy walk from the top of the Peak Tram that gives some great views, the walk takes about an hour and circles from Lugard Road to Harlech Road and back to the Peak Tram station. Standing with the Peak Tram station on your right, and the Peak Galleria mall on your left, look to your right and see the three streets leading off from the end of the Peak Tram station ahead of you. Take the pedestrian-only road on the furthest right, this is Lugard Road and just follow it around as it circles back to the Peak Tram station where you started.

2. In addition to crossing the harbour on the Star Ferry, you could take a longer ferry tour of the harbor or go to some of the outlying islands, the Star Ferry runs several, take a look at http://www.starferry.com.hk/new/en/index.asp. The Hong Kong Tourist Association has a tour by a "junk" every Thursday, look for info on their website, take a look at http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.jsp. December is a good month for seeing the pink dolphins which are native to the waters of Hong Kong, take a look at http://www.hkdolphinwatch.com.

3. A tour by boat of Aberdeen Harbour would be fun in a little bumboat, you can rent these with a driver for an hour or so from the "floating" restaurants. The floating restaurants are quite touristy and I think the food is somewhat average, however, one place I do like is the Top Deck at the Jumbo restaurant

Top Deck at the Jumbo
Jumbo Kingdom
Shum Wan Pier Drive
Wong Chuk Hang
Aberdeen
Tel: 852 2552 3331

4. I think the double decker bus ride over to Stanley is a hoot and kids would love it. Sit upstairs in front for the best thrills. There is a beach at Stanley where the kids could be entered when one adult is shopping, and there are several good restaurants along the water. Take the #6 bus from the Central bus terminus at Exchange Square ( you do NOT want the bus going through Aberdeen Tunnel, or you will miss some of the best hilly portions; have the hotel check as the bus numbers change from time to time). Costs about US$1.20 each way.

5. There is a water park and ocenaium on Hong Kong Island with a dolphin show and pandas, etc and you get to take a cable car to reach it, which is fun. It is called Ocean Park. It is accessible by bus or taxi from Central very easily. Take a look at http://www.oceanpark.com.hk/f_index.html.

6. There is a small zoo and botanical gardens in mid-levels just above Central on Hong Kong Island and there are some playgrounds here as well. There is a very nice outdoor aviary in Hong Kong Park which is located basically adjacent to the bottom entrance to the Peak Tram and is a nice park for strolling, there may be a playground near to the aviary as well. The park backs up to Pacific Place Mall and is reachable by tram or the MTR or walking, look on a map for the exact location. There is a small museum of tea ware that is kind of interesting.

7. There is a giant Buddha on Lantau island which you can visit and there is a monastery there and a vegetarian restaurant. This has never been a favorite trip of mine, but the Buddha is certainly impressive and in December the weather would be great. Also, by then the cable car up to the Buddha should be done which would make the trip fun, plus you could then do the easy walk downhill to Tai O and have a seafood lunch if you wanted. This trip is described in almost every guide book, so take a look you can probably find on line descriptions or look at the Hong Kong Tourist Association site. The monastery is called Po Lin.

7. Finally, I am not sure if you know this, but Disney opened a park here in September. It is basically the Magic Kingdom plus a few rids (I have not been myself), so it may not appeal, and I personally don't know if I would spend any of my precious 3 days at Disney, but take a look at – for info and prices. It tends to be crowded, esp at weekends, so go on a weekday if you decide to go.

Some kid friendly-restaurants to keep in mind:

Al's Diner
27-37 D'Aguilar Street
Lan Kwai Fong (Central)
Tel: 2869-1869
In Lan Kwai Fong, the trendy bar area on Hong Kong Island, they serve comfort food like grilled cheese, burgers, etc. Good for lunch or dinner. More of a bar than a diner, but the bar really does not get going until late so it is fine to bring kids for an early dinner.
Grappa's
88 Queensway
tel: 2868 0086

Casual, good Italian, in the Pacific Place mall. No view.

Spaghetti House
http://www.spaghettihouse.com/spaghetti/eng/index.html

Basic Italian fare and pizzas. I have to confess to never having eaten at one, but they always seem full. Several locations in town, check the website.

Flying Pan (esp for breakfast)
Ground Floor
9 Old Bailey Street
Central (Hollywood Road area)
Tel: 2140-6333

3rd Floor
81-85 Lockhart Road
Wan Chai
Tel: 2528-9997

Two branches, both open 24 hours, serving the "all day breakfast. Eggs, French toast, good bagels. Also has grilled cheese, etc so good for kids. Also good for lunch. Good prices.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:34 AM

The cable car to Po Lin Monastery will be open June 24. It goes from the Tung Chung MTR station. They've also built a mini themepark at the upper terminal, called Ngong Ping 360, near the monastery. You can buy individual cable car tickets or package.

Hopefully, by December, most of the locals will have ridden it, and you won't find large crowds or long queues.

www.np360.com.hk
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:35 AM

FYI - Kowloon Hotel concierge told us that the Dim Sum restaurant is closed as that level is renovated.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:38 AM

PS My 6.5 year old loved Fat Angelo's and only wanted to eat there after our visit. The kids' meal comes with a free token for the prize machine.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:15 AM
agent101

Disneyland and Ocean Park are the best for 7 year old kids but it's kinda rainy these days in HK so watch out for the weather forecast. Not good for children.
You can also enjoy shopping at mongkok (night market) for cheap toys made in china and good RTW items for you, of course.
You can also have a stroll at the Avenue of the Stars (though kids might not enjoy this) but there's also a restaurant strip there that offers good selection for dinner.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM

his site is very useful, non-commercial with photos and tidbits to make your travel much more interesting...
http://hongkongdailyphoto.blogspot.com