Honeymoon in Thailand

Search

Honeymoon in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in Thailand

Hello- My husband and I are traveling to Thailand for our honeymoon - we depart on 12/19 for Chiang Mai. We expect to spend about 4 days there. From there we head to Bangkok and will spend about 6 days there and around the surrounding area. For the remainder of the trip we will be in Phuket, where we depart for home (Philadelphia) on 1/8.
While I do have many questions, at this point we are trying to book a hotel for Phuket as we have been advised that hotels book up quickly as it is peak season.
Do you agree that we are best off having a reservation ahead of time as opposed to arriving there and then finding a place?
In terms of Phuket we are thinking about staying in the Karon/Kata region to avoid the hecticness of Patong. Recommendations?
Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 04:53 PM

I would say that reservations would be a MUST for that time of the year. I would not want to just "appear" there and try to find something.

I suggest you try the Katathani Resort or Mom Tri's Boathouse or Mom Tri's Villa Royale. All three are in the Kata Beach neighborhood, where it is much quieter than Patong. Prices are going to be at their highest though. Good luck to you.

Carol
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:45 PM

No question, reserve your hotels today. You may even find that some places you are interested in are already booked, as this is the busiest time of the year.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:46 PM

from about dec 20 to jan 5 reservations and prices are at the peak...DO NOT GO WITHOUT RESERVATIONS...

try this site:

www.huahin.20m.com

they have hotels in every part of thailand...all are prepaid and include tax/service (17.7%) and usually breakfast---a huge savings...

do it now however...

do not know your budget, but may i suggest the marriott resort and spa to you in bkk...it is fabulous...slightly more expensive is the penninsula, oriental, shangri-la hotels....all on the river...
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:05 AM

Book now ! be prapared for you chosen choice to be full, if you go to the site Bob mentioned you can click a box for alternatives so if your choice is full they will come back with alternatives, you can try for rooms at many without giving any credit card details, only once they have found rooms and made you a confirmed offer do you need to choose and then confirm the booking.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:04 AM

Another vote for book NOW!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 06:06 AM

It's unanimous book NOW. You didn't mention it, but you should also book your lodging in Chiang Mai and Bangkok NOW, as well. My wife and I and my son and his wife will be in BKK 12/25-12/29/05. We're staying at the Royal Orchid Shearton. We booked back in May.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. We are in the process of booking NOW.
Any recommendations for hotels in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Also, how many days/nights would you recommend for both cities and surrounding area. Our total trip time is about 18 days.
Thanks again!
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Tulajack-- what's your budget; what kind of hotels/atmosphere do you like and what are your interests -- what kind of expereinces do you want to have?
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,
We plan on being very active for the first part of the trip, seeing as much as possible in and around Chiang Mai and Bangkok. When we are in Phuket, we would like to see the surrounding islands but other than that we expect to just relax.
One thing we would like to do in every city we travel to is take cooking classes to experience the different regional flavors of Thailand. My husband and I love to eat and that is a priority on this trip.
In terms of hotel expenses Phuket will be where we spend the most. However, in the other cities we would like to spend in the $20-45 U.S. range per night - accomodation wise we are on a budget, but we don't want to share rooms or bathrooms as in hostel-type accomodations.
We are not into the raging night life scene but we do want to experience all things Thai, and really submerge ourselves in the culture. We plan to visit all the famous Wats and markets, and cover as much ground as possible.
Any thoughts?