Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Japan

Search

Honeymoon in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Karen

Honeymoon in Japan

I just recently began planning my wedding and my fiance and I have decided to go to Tokyo on our honeymoon. Our wedding is planned for May 10th 2003. Are there any interesting festivals or events during that time? Also my fiance is a huge fan of video games and electronics, which I know Japan is well known for. Any places we should go to that he'd like? How about romantic places? I'm interested in any fun ideas since I really don't know much about Tokyo. Thanks!!

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Ice

Karen,<BR>Tokyo is an interesting pick for honeymoon, but i think it's an unique experience particularly if you've not been to Japan before - i like your choice. As far as electronics and video games, I can't think of a better choice than Tokyo; he will be in heaven. One famous place to go see is Akihabara, famous for the latest high-tech consumer electronics you can ever dream of. It's literally several city blocks full of nothing but electronic stores, many of which has duty-free for overseas tourist; make sure to look for the signs. Akihabara station is on the Yamanote line (the green subway line that runs in circle in central Tokyo) and it's very easy to find.<BR>As far as for romantic place, I immediately thought of Nikko; a side trip about 2 hours from Tokyo with beautiful waterfall, temples, and natures, in my opinion very spiritual and romantic. I can't remember which train exactly to take, but it's all over any travel guide.<BR>Overall, Tokyo is more like a amusement park atmosphere than romantic.. but I think it's a fun fun fun choice for honeymoon. <BR>Best lucks.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 09:01 AM
greg

Tokyo is a good choice for electronics (be sure to get the model compatible with your home country), but Kyoto is a better choice for romantic places. Kyoto retains the traditional Japan much more than Tokyo.<BR><BR>For festivals, here is one place you can go to find major festivals.<BR><BR>http://www.seejapan.co.uk/seedo/events.html<BR><BR>under Festivals, click download a calendar

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Florence

Bonjour Karen,<BR>congratulations on your marriage. Is it really May 2003 or 2002 ? if 2003, mid-May will see the fantastic (I wouldn't call it romantic though) Kanda Matsuri that takes place on alternate years and Sanja Matsuri in Asakusa. Near the end of May, many traditional areas of Tokyo will hold small local "Flower festivals", like for example in Yanaka, where the local associations have food stalls, singing contests, flowers sales, etc. in Yanaka Cemetery during 2 days. Nothing sinister (except the zillion calories in the food), just good fun geared towards the neighborhood, but visiting foreigners are always welcome (and I might even be there helping with the preparation of "Takoyaki" with the Yanaka Kendo Dojo associatin).<BR><BR>There is more of traditional Japan left in Tokyo than what everybody thinks, although it is concentrated in Shitamachi, the "low city" and concerns mostly the areas peopled by laborers, merchants and craftsmen during the Edo period like Asakusa, Ryogoku, Ueno or Ogikubo, meaning there are less prestigious original buildings left than in Kyoto. I was just reading letters by French diplomats and tradesmen in the period just following the opening of Japan to the World ("le voyage au Japon" an anthology of French writings 1858 - 1908), and I've been surprised at how little the area around Asakusa Kannon temple has changed from that time. <BR><BR>In addition to strolling in Akihabara for electronics, all the main electronics companies have showrooms where you can try almost all their products (Sony on Ginza, Yamaha, NEC, Matsushita, ...). Great fun but beware: once in, you never know when you'll get out!<BR><BR>Get your hands on the book "Tokyo for Free" by Susan Pompian (Kodansha, isbn 4-7700-2053-8). It has a list of everything you can do, try, taste, and visit for the price of a subway ticket. <BR><BR>You can also consider the Tosho-gu festival in Nikko, usually around mid-May too.<BR> <BR>In Kyoto, around May 15 is Aoi Matsuri, a beautiful reproduction of past imperial processions, then Mifune matsuri (3rd sunday) a ancient boat festival on the Oi River. There are also lots of antiques, crafts and fleamarkets. <BR><BR>There is also the Hamamatsu (Shizuoka prefecture) kite-flying festival at the beginning of May, where some of the biggest kites in the world are flown. Not exactly romantic, but definitely something worth seeing.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Diane

I agree with the others-- Kyoto is much more romantic than Tokyo. Tokyo is great for going out, shopping, and having a good time but Kyoto is much more quaint, beautiful that time of year, and much more Japanese.<BR><BR>Have fun!