Reload this Page >

honeymoon in bali

Search

honeymoon in bali

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Denise Rish

honeymoon in bali

I am going to Bali in early November for my honeymoon and we are staying at the TuguBali and Damai. Has anyone ever stayed at either of these places?? Also, please recommend some local activities and interesting things to do/where to go and eat, etc...

Old May 26th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Steve

I am also headed to Bali in early November for my honeymoon (I can't wait). Any advice would be greatly appreciated! <BR>

Old May 31st, 2001, 04:47 PM
yuen-pitre

Denise and Steve - congratulations separately to both of you when you get married and what a wonderful place you have chosen for your honeymoon....it will be worth the long hours to get there. It took my husband and I a little over 24 hours from Toronto Canada. <BR> <BR>My husband and I went there in march and we stayed at sheraton Nusa Indah hotel in Nusa Dua - touristy...but since we were in unfamiliar territory and feeling insecure we went for the tourist locations. <BR> <BR>IMPORTANT: Do a city tour - check with your travel agent on free excusions that might come with your trip to Bali if you are on a package...do a package - will save you money...everything is in US dollars - artwork can get expensive - watch out for fakes! Ask your tour guide for advice- these guys are pretty good at giving the scoop on Balinese art and so forth. Visit the volcano, the animal/bird market - interesting animals there, if you are brave enough wake up at 5 :30 am and go to the central market in denpasar and move with the crowd when they shop for groceries...note: wear runners or risk having DIRTY feet, go to UBUD - terribly touristy and trashy but what the heck, do it so you can say you saw UBUD (celebrities cause this place to be totally over rated), I can't remember the names of the places we visit on our excusions but ask your hotel - they always have excursions available. <BR> <BR>GET A MASSAGE IN BALI WITH FRANGIPANI OIL - they guys really know how to knead one's body. <BR> <BR>DINNER - Bumbu Bali restaurant - ask your hotel concierge to call the restaurant - they will send a taxi for free to take you from and back to your hotel.....AMAZING FOOD AND ATMOSPHERE - TOTALLY ROMANTIC AND EXOTIC AS IF BALI ISN'T EXOTIC ENOUGH! $ = Moderate...make sure you go to this restaurant hungry. <BR> <BR>Second restaurant we can recommend is Pudak Cafe in Jimbaran Bay - most popular - arrive there for dinner at 5:00 no later...to watch sunset...anything after this then you will miss it! Amazing seafood - HUGE AND I MEAN HUGE LOBSTERS AND PRAWNS...THEY REALLY MENA JUMBO WHEN THEY ADVERTISE IT. You need to take a taxi to get to Jimbaran bay. <BR> <BR>CLOTHES - bring light clothes, and lots of it if you are staying for a long time in Bali -hotels charge laundry by each item (e.g. shirt is 3.50 or 5 dollars US - this was the case in our hotel- 5 star hotels do this), bring your own detergent and clothes that will dry quickly, also avoid DARK colours!!!! Bring a hat. If you're BALD and go without a hat - YOU'RE IN BIG TROUBLE!!! <BR> <BR>

Old May 31st, 2001, 04:47 PM
yuen-pitre

CONTINUATION: <BR> <BR>ETIQUETTE: Never ever touch someone's head in Bali - this is disrespectful - their religion believes that the head is closer to heaven and therefore should be treated with utmost respect. important: when you enter their temples please cover your shoulders and knees - buy a sarong when you get there...please do not disrespect their request to do this. <BR> <BR>TIP: yeah tip these guys as even 2 dollars US is a BIG DEAL to them. If we can tip waiters a 10-15% gratuity can't we do the same for these people? <BR> <BR>MEDICATION: bring Gaviscon or TUMS, bring anti diarrhea capsules...you are going to need it. drink sealed, bottled water only....drink lots of water...heat and humidity is intense...this starts early in the morning. Go slow on the food - yeah it's terribly yummy but remember to go slow. Also go slow on the sunbathing...like I said - sun and humidity is intense...if it doesn't get you in 2 days it will later on. <BR> <BR>LAST THING: bring a digital video camera - it is a colourful island - if you don't have one - invest in one afterall this is your honeymoon. Denise - one advice - buy the traditional bangles in Bali - they cost a bundle in the states and canada, if you read instyle magazine there is an ad of a guy who sells these balinese bangles for $700-1000+ US. You can easily find one for $145 US in Bali...that is if you like bangles...this was one of my greatest mistakes - I waited and bargained with the lady in my hotel and lost it to another customer when i went back the next day....I never found one my size in the traditional thick balinese bangles. they have two thick decorative knobs where the ends meet. It looks like an intricate woven rope. Anyway, as you can tell, I am still kicking myself for this! <BR> <BR>Denise and Steve, I hope I gave you some ideas....above all, enjoy everything that you can do in Bali - don't hold back on visiting other places, it truly is exotic...have an awesome time. cheers!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 12:57 AM
Made

Bali is a fantastic place for a honeymoon because it combines beautiful romantic scenery with the amazing Balinese Hindu culture and friendliness of the people. The Tugu is a new hotel but the branch in Java is very famous, it should be wonderful. There are so many 5 star hotels in Bali its difficult to pick and choose. <BR> <BR>Things NOT to do: First of all do not take any of the organized tours. They are designed to take you to the large commission galleries in Mas and Celuk where things are priced in US dollars and you will pay several times the real going price. Example: Painting is priced at US $500. You bargain for 50% off and receive it for $250. You think you got a great deal but what you don't know (because the tour busses and guides won't take you there) is that if you went with a regular driver the painting should have been $75 (for example). Silver jewelry such as the bangles are really much less than $100 dollars - even at 92.5 sterling silver. <BR> <BR>Also, Ubud is wonderful - just get out of the center of town and go north a little to see the river valleys and the exclusive hotels in Sayan. Great restaurants and you could do several days here alone. <BR> <BR>My suggestions of do's: <BR>Romantic dinner: La Lucciola <BR>Temples to see: Goa Gajah - elephant temple , Tanah Lot and sunset, Gunung Kawi - monolithic carvings in rock faces, Bedugul (temple in the lake) <BR>Rice padi views : Tegallalang, Jatiluwih <BR>River valley views: Ayung River <BR>Walks in Ubud: Rice padi walks from Sanggingan through Sayan. Keliki Art walk in Payogan Village. <BR> <BR>Museums: Bali Museum in Denpasar (if interested in art history) <BR>Paintings: Neka Museum, Puri Lukisan both in Ubud <BR> <BR>River Rafting in Ubud, Drive through the Botanical garden. <BR> <BR>Dance performances: Do not see them in the hotels. Go to the Palace (yes a real palace the royal family still owns) in Ubud for the nightly shows. My favorites: Barong, Legong, Kecak. Cost to see dances: About US 2. for a 1 hour performance with fabulous performers and full gamelan orchestra. <BR> <BR>If you need more information or want to know how to hire private drivers send me an e-mail at [email protected]. My husband used to be a driver and has lots of friends who are drivers. A private English speaking driver with airconditioned car including gas will be about $30 per day plus $1 for his lunch. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Di

we are also considering doing a Bali honeymoon in March and would some advice on where to stay- I have been doing quite a bit of research and have found that there aren't that many luxurious beachfront type villas- am I correct? All I have seen have been located in hilltops and valleys and garden- they all seem beautiful but we are really stuck on a beachfront place? Any suggestions??

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 09:54 PM
Made

Depending on your budget, there are many beachfront villas. Highly recommended are the Four Seasons, Oberoi, Amankila, and Serai. All have sister hotels in the Ubud area.