Honeymoon help

Search

Honeymoon help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon help

I am new to posting, but am fascinated by the amount of knowledge that gets posted on this site. Thanks to all!

I am just about to launch into a project that takes me to Delhi once a month. The even better news is that I am getting married in mid-April. After the wedding we are planning a week-long vacation, somewhere, and then 2 weeks in Delhi (she gets to explore while I work...)

The big question is, where to honeymoon? We definitely want an element of sun/beach/pampering, etc., and I would love to limit the amount of time that I am in the air or in airports. So far it seems that flights from BKK to Delhi are the best bet to fit that bill (Phuket? Koh Samui?). Are there any other good suggestions about what might work in this situation? Sri Lanka?

My budget is around US$200-$300/night for lodging.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:05 AM

Greetings from an American woman who lives on/off in Delhi! Congrats on the project and on the the big-wedding! About your honeymoon, being that you now have a connection to India, you may want to consider somewhere in India, either the beach state of Goa or the state of KERAla, where there are both gorgeous properties, just a suggestion. Other EASY AND viable options flying from Delhi are going to either Thailand, Sri Lanka or Malaysia, each with wonderful beach destinations. I will let others chime in about the various beach options in these areas as i am not really a beach sort, but i can say that Thai airways flies daily delhi-Bkk and the trip is about 4 hours and cost about $450 US in economy. I take the flight often and am actually/presntly in Bkk, a city i love and come to very often! take care, aND feel free to be in touch. I Can certainly give you some suggestions/help in/out/about delhi. [email protected]
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM

gtobe, Congratulations! Bali would be a good choice. You can connect to Denpasar (Bali) through Singapore. You will find a wide range of accommodations in your price range. My personal favorite is the Legian on the beach.

You could also spend a few days inland in the cultural center of Bali. Again there are many, many resort choices. For a honeymoon, I'd suggest Kayumanis.

Bali is quite depressed right now and prices are very negotiable.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:35 AM

First congratulations on your impending marriage. Also, I am a little confused by your message. You are getting married somewhere (not India?) and then heading to India where you want to go someplace for a honeymoon for a week and then back to Delhi for 2 weeks, is that correct?

OK, with that in mind, some thoughts. First, getting flights into and out of Delhi is sometimes very difficult, there are too many people and too few flights. Whatever you do, you should start booking soon.

Second, you are going to have a little bit of an issue in late April and early May with a beach location around India as the southwest monsoon will be starting to arrive up from the Indian Ocean. So, if there is any way you can take a beach vacation closer to where you are getting married, you may have a chance of better more beach-like weather. Your message does not say where you are getting married. Otherwise, see some thoughts below.

My first suggestion would be the Maldives. Good time of year (but watch rain starting towards the beginning of May), easy flights from Delhi (about 5 hours). Really, really spectacular beaches, these are the best beaches you will find in Asia, IMO. They definitely surpass Bali and Phuket, as well as India. This is the white sand and turquoise water you dream about. (In a nutshell: Bali is about culture, religion and the beauty of the inland areas, beaches are pretty, but no reason to fly 10 hours. Thailand beaches are very very nice, but IMO don't compare to Maldives; but the Thai people are lovely and food is great. Goa and Kerala are beautiful in kind of a rough and wild way, Goan food is terrific, and Kerala of course has the inland waterways, very romantic.) You can find hotels in your price range. ( If you are coming from the East Coast of the US or Europe, you can even fly to the Maldives there on your way to Delhi. From the West Coast of the US, you can go via Singapore as well.)

I think Goa or Kerala are also a good choice, certainly very easy to get to from Delhi, one quick flight. One issue you are may run into is the beginning of the very hot season pre-monsoon. Of course at the beach you may not mind the heat, but you may get more overcast skies than you want. I have not been to either place in late April, early-May perhaps others can speak from experience. Also take a look at weatherbase.com for historical info on all the places you are considering.

Bali is a great choice, but IMO it may be a bit too far to go from India for a only a week. The flight time is about 10 hours, and there are no direct flights. That's a long flight for a week, and with connections it could be longer. (If you have not yet discovered it, many international flights from Delhi take off at very strange times like 2 am, making long flights seem even more long and terrible.) The weather is good in April and May, which is a plus, so you could think about it, but I am not sure if I would do that for a week on top of whatever flight you have to take to get to India after the wedding. (If you can get to Bali on the way out to India after the wedding, i.e. from the West Coast of the US, then this would save backtracking and might make more sense.)

Sri Lanka is another possibility, but Galle and places in the south will be quite wet in late April and May as the monsoon is breaking just about then. Not sure this is the best month to go as you may have/want to avoid parts of the island.

Phuket would be tending toward the rainy side on late April and May. However, Koh Samui on the other side of Thailand would be better weather-wise, but the flight time is not much better than getting to Bali. IMO if you are willing to fly all that way, you might as well go to Bali.

FYI, April and early May in Delhi can be brutally hot. This may be a somewhat harsh introduction to India and Delhi for your wife. I have been there in April when it was literally 115 F, the sun is quite unbelievably strong. You might consider hitting the hills of Shimla on the weekend.

I assume you are working on a tourist/dependent visa for your wife for India.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the congratulations and the very informative responses. To answer Cicerone, I will be getting married in the states (Oklahoma), then going to ? from Dallas, on to Delhi for two weeks after a week or so in ?. It sounds like I can't go wrong with the Maldives, but Koh Samui might be a bit drier.
I know that Delhi will be brutally hot at that time, but who wants to separate immediately after their honeymoon??? She is from Oklahoma, so she is used to the heat.
Thank you all again.