Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Bali-Phuket - Need Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Pete

Hi...am planning a honeymoon for Nov, with 10 days in Bali (5 Ubud, 5 Jimbaran) and 5 days in Phuket. After reading a lot of comments...I am losing confidence in Phuket...is it THAT bad???<BR><BR>My original plan was Amanpuri, Banyan Tree, or Chedi, but I'm only looking at websites and they all look outstanding. Any thoughts or recommendations??? <BR><BR>We are not wealthy at all, but this is our once in a lifetime trip so I'm not letting price be a concern, but we want paradise!!! Any help????

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Michael From New York

Spent two weeks in Bali in Oct/Nov 2000<BR>Spent two in Phuket in Oct/Nov 2001<BR><BR>Phuket is fine. I thought it was fabulous. I stayed in three different areas/resorts -<BR><BR>A) Amari Coral just out side of Patong. Hotel was wonderful. But Patong the town is a place where alot of men go for adventures - <BR><BR>Stay anywhere else on the island Kata, Karon, and you'll be fine.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 12:33 PM
ryan

Pete,<BR>I did the exact same itinerary in the Spring of 2000 on my honeymoon. My wife and I actually preferred Phuket to Bali. Initially, I was reluctant to go to Patong as I thought she would be bothered. It was fine and we actually went several times.<BR><BR>Patong does have its seedy parts. But, that is a small part of the town and an even smaller part of the island. In fact, one of the best restuarants on the island, Baan Rim Paa is in Patong. <BR><BR>Like much of Asia, you will be asked by every vendor to "buy" something. Just smile, say no thanks and keep walking. That will happen in Bali just as frequently as Patong.<BR><BR>In terms of the hotels, we stayed at the Chedi and had a great time. We orginally had planned to stay at the Amanpuri and even had a reservation. <BR><BR>However, my wife's colleague told us that he left the Aman after 2 nights and moved to the Chedi. The reason is that both hotels share the same beach and several facilities (like the gym) and he felt that it wasn't worth the extra cost for the Aman.<BR><BR>In fact, I would say that the beach on the Chedi side is actually much larger and much closer to the bulk of the rooms. (You have signing privaleges at either hotel and can easily use facilities at the Aman.) <BR><BR>While cost was not a big concern for <BR>us, we liked the fact that we could get a room right on the beach at the Chedi for the same price as the lowest class room at the Aman. That, and the recommendation, made the Chedi a better choice for us.<BR><BR>The Banyan Tree did look nice when we stopped by. However, we decided to stay elsewhere because I didn't like the fact that the Banyan Tree was part of a multi-hotel complex. Some of the hotels are more moderate in price and to me, the hotel didn't offer the same seclusion as the Aman or Chedi. If you go to www.phuket.com, you can judge this for yourself.<BR><BR>As with every location, some people will dislike it. Hell, I couldn't stand St. Lucia and some people think it's the best place in the world. <BR><BR>I had a great experience in Phuket and would go back without any concern. Go, have fun, and definately eat dinner at Baan Rim Paa.<BR><BR>P.S. You will definately want to think about a day trip the Phi Phi Islands. Several speedboat tours go there and it is a blast.<BR><BR>Again, have fun and let me know if you have any more questions. <BR> <BR> <BR><BR> <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:51 AM
Audrey

We stayed for 8 nights at Le Meredian Phuket (about 45 mins from the Airport) and we thought it was fantastic. Phuket town is a dump but this hotel has it's own beach, numerous restaurants, shops, etc etc... on site and was full of honeymooners. I would definately recommend it but then I've not been to Bali

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:31 AM
jim

Regarding Bali, we stayed at Jambaron Bay, Interecontinental Hotel, enjoyed every minute and is one of the best room hotel arrangements I have experienced. It is much more secluded then the more popular Kuta beach side, with a nice beach. this was four years ago, at that time they had entertainment every night centered around Balinese dancing which certainly fit the atmosphere. The rooms were "teak" with balconies and ceiling fans, and very comfortable.