Hoi An Trip Summary

Search

Hoi An Trip Summary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoi An Trip Summary

A group of us just returned from 4 days staying at the Hoi An Pacific Hotel. It was not our first choice but one selected by our travel company. We found the hotel to be inexpensive, clean, generally comfortable but quite basic in amenities. Some of the room supplies were inconsistently provided (e.g., face towels) but when requested, the service was quick and done with a smile.

Staff: Most everyone we dealt with at the hotel was friendly, polite and tried to be helpful. They spoke some English but we found it was difficult for many of the staff to actually understand English being spoken back. This made for many redundant conversations and interesting results. The daytime staff was more fluent than the night crew.

Facilities: Some of us went to the "spa" for manicure/pedicure treatments and were very disappointed. Attracted by the low prices (4 US$), the ladies found the quality of the work and the cleanliness to be very poor. Better to go to the resort hotels or in town spas.

Dining: Restaurant and bar are located on the top/6th floor. There is an outside balcony that is quite nice and offers a lovely view down onto the town. The breakfast buffet is not bad, with fresh omelets and pho noodle soup available. Salad, fruit, breakfast breads and pastries, juices, and several hot dishes rounded out the selection. Lunch/dinner menu is quite broad on paper but we found several listed foods not available when we ordered (e.g., crab, snapper, etc.) What we did order was tasty.

Room: We all had double rooms with twin beds that were amazingly comfortable. I usually have problems sleeping in hotel beds but these were great. The bathroom was good size. Again all very clean. The air con made the room very cold and we had trouble with the controls so we kept needing to switch it on and off because when off, the room became very stuffy and warm. Ask for a quiet back room. Our first room was facing the street in front of the hotel and I discovered the outside noise (scooters, talking) could be easily heard plus people in Hoi An became active very early in the morning (5am). The staff was able to switch our rooms with no problem. On our last night, a large group of teens checked in and created quite a lively ruckus into the night...no fault of the hotel but it did point out how thin the walls were. That same night, a loud thunderstorm poured buckets of rain which also disrupted our sleep.

Location: Hoi An is a 45-minute ride from Danang Airport. Danang to Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City airports is one hour. The hotel is situated in town, 2km to the Old Quarter and 2km to the beach resorts. Hotel shuttle is available but runs infrequently. However, you can always pay for the shuttle to take your group into town ($3 US) or request a taxi ($ 1.50 US). It's really not that difficult to get to and from the hotel.

Weather: It was extremely hot and humid when we were there last week (Oct 6-10). As such, I did come down with a bad case of heatstroke one day as I was not used to the conditions and was a bit dehydrated from flying the day before. Bring bottles of water with you everywhere and drink, drink, drink. (Note: each of the many tailor shops will have a restroom in the back.)

Currency: The local currency is "dong" and there are a lot of zeroes attached. 1 US dollar converted to about 16,000 dong. Many shops list their products in US dollars and prefer that over the dong. I brought small US bills with me with this in mind. Interesting tidbit is that the Vietnamese love $2 US bills...they consider them "lucky". Every time I used one, the recipient would burst out in a smile. If you use $USD, you will probably still get dong back in change. It is helpful to print out a currency conversion chart (both ways) to keep in your wallet because the exchange calculations can be very confusing.

Credit cards: Not all shops take credit cards. Visa and MasterCard seem to be commonly preferred with American Express less so. Always ask first before doing any transactions. We went into one shop whose website said Amex was ok, but after ordering a lot of clothes, was told they didn't accept the card. My friend had to hop on the motorbike of one of the staff and be taken to several banks to get money to pay.

Restaurant recommendation: We went to the White Marble Wine Bar which is located one block from the river. It was a fun place to sit and people-watch. The menu is small but offers delicious tapas-like dishes to share. Very inexpensive! Also went to the Victoria Beach Resort for lunch, which was lovely and right on the beach.

Tailors: The main tourist activity in Hoi An appears to be having your clothes custom-made. This was one of our objectives in going there. While this can be fun, it can be exhausting too as there are over 100 of these tailor shops in town. You can have almost anything copied, usually within a day, including shoes. It's hard to know the difference between the shops without doing research ahead of time. Prices vary, with the more well-known shops being more expensive...however, to keep this in perspective, you will still pay much less to own a custom-made outfit than to buy one off the rack back home that doesn't fit as well. Shops will vary in the selection of fabrics and quality of workmanship.

We took our business to Yaly Couture and Thu Thuy, but made most of our clothes at Phuoc An because of their wide selection and good pricing. These are probably some of the higher-priced shops but are known to produce good work. A list of others: http://www.hoian.co.uk/tailor_shop_guide.php

It's overwhelming unless you prepare beforehand by creating a list of what you're interested in making, along with photos/pictures and even color/fabric choices. You are greeted by shop ladies dressed in "ao dai", the traditional Vietnamese garment. You will be asked what you'd like to have made, taken around the shop to look at fabric, then measured from head to toe. You can ask for the prices as you discuss items and you can always bargain...it's a polite process unlike what I've encountered in China. When I received the total tally of all my items, I asked for a discount off of that amount and was able to negotiate the discount down even further. The more you buy at one shop, the more leverage you have to bargain. Example of prices: beautiful silk jacket for $40, silk shell top for $20, long wool coat for $75. This may still sound high but again these are all custom-made to fit you. You could shop around for lower prices if you have the time and energy.

Fittings are extremely important. Allow at least 2 days for the process. Go early the 1st day and order your items. You'll be asked to return that evening for your fitting. If all goes well, you'll have your new clothes in hand. Most likely though, you'll need something tweaked and have to come back the next day. I had to return 3 times for a couple of my items unfortunately. Each time you return, you might be tempted to order more too. It's helpful to have a friend accompany you when you have your fittings because they can help you check the fit, the seams, the length which you can't always see in the mirror for yourself. If you want something changed, be polite but firm. When they pin you for alterations, they will chalk the clothes and these marks are sometimes still visible when you pick up your items. You should be able to brush the marks away but if you have any concerns, ask. Also ask how to wash your clothes as many silks these days can be hand washed instead of dry-cleaned.

You'll be amazed at what these tailors can do. You can ask for the collar from one photo, the sleeves from another, and change the length altogether...it can be a lot of fun to have your personal tailor attend to you. I brought some fabric with me to make a special jacket. My friend brought some tops that she wanted to have altered to fit better. Another friend had pants made and then used the same fabric to have mules (shoes) made to match. Another friend had cream colored leather boots made to match the wool pants she had made.

Last but not least--traffic: Watch out for the frenzy of scooters everywhere. Always look around you as you walk or cross but don't stop suddenly...it's better to just walk slowly so the bikes can try to go around you. Cars will honk as they come up on scooters from behind which can get annoying after several days of this. Though lanes are marked on the roads, vehicles don't pay attention all that much to staying in their lanes. You'll see scooters with piles of people or loads of "stuff" hanging over. A helmet law was passed recently but there are still many kids who ride without them.

Hoi An is a good jumping off point to see:
- Hue
- Marble Mountains
- My Son

I hope this information will be helpful to others. I've always appreciated the advice shared by others on this Forum.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Thanks so much for the report! I am heading there next week! Can't wait!
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

A couple more comments on currency:

- It's a good idea to get some dong bills, even if you bring dollars. Get smaller denominations if possible.

- The Vietnamese do not like torn bills, even small tears. Some shopkeepers will refuse to take them (whether you have dong or US$). They will ask you to go to the bank to change the torn bills although you can vehemently insist which may or may not work. When you receive any dong bills, look them over carefully so you don't get stuck.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:19 AM

thx so very much for your awesome report...hints on $$$ well taken.
going in a few weeks. have been checking weather (our friends were evacuated last year in november due to a major monsoon)and it seems like daily heavy rain every day in october so far..you didn't mention a problem w/ that. was it very rainy?? staying on the beach and crossing our fingers. you also mentioned that you went to thaly and thu thuy but then took your business elsewhere?????? are the former two that much more expensive. those are the two i had sort of decided to go to first.
thx
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

We were fortunate for the 4 days we were in Hoi An as it did not rain at all, even tho the weather reports that I checked beforehand said it would. On the last night before we departed for Hanoi, though, it poured buckets. In the morning, it was still raining lightly. This did not stop the locals from going about their business. People wore rain ponchos as they rode their bikes and scooters. I was told that it can be difficult with monsoon storms because the rain falls so hard and so quickly. Weather-wise, the hardest aspect for me was the heat and humidity. If you do a lot of shopping, you'll find the inside of the stores can be quite hot. I'd recommend taking breaks and drinking lots of water. I brought a light umbrella that I used for shade when walking outside, plus a foldup fan. I saw many folks purchase the Vietnamese cone hats to wear.

About the tailor shops: There are over a hundred tailor shops in Hoi An if you have time to look around. This was my first experience with Hoi An tailors so I relied on my friend who visited last year and had used several of the shops such as Yaly, Thu Thuy, and Phuoc An. These tailors seem to have a reliable reputation for a broad selection of fabrics and good workmanship. We each had a list of pieces that we wanted to have made and with only a few days to shop, so we did not use other tailors though we did check into a few places while there just to compare. Even among these 3 places, the prices can vary.

You can always bargain and there are different approaches. Sometimes if you just walk away, they might reduce the price. Or if you buy several items from the same store, you can usually talk them into lowering the prices. Or you can state a price you want to pay (that's reasonable) and see if they will accept it. My friend really liked a tweed fabric in Thu Thuy for a jacket. The first time they quoted her $65 which she thought was too high. After visiting several other shops, she couldn't find another material she liked so we went back to Thu Thuy. Tho they once again quoted $65, I spoke up and asked, "Will you take $50?". They countered with $55, which my friend agreed to. It's all a bit of a game.

On our first day, we went early in the morning and visited all three shops to ask how much they charge to make certain items and to look at their fabric inventory. This gave us a better perspective rather than committing to one store right away.

To give you some idea of pricing: at Yaly, I had a grey tweed wool long coat ($75) and black chiffon evening pants ($35) made. At Thu Thuy, I loved their silks, so I had 5 silk tops ($20 each) made. Every thing was fitted and very tailored. At Phuoc An, I had a long list of clothes made that I just love (jeans, jackets, dresses).

The process is: you walk in and one of the shop ladies immediately attaches herself to you, to work with your order, guide you through material selection and to take your measurements. When you return for fittings, she is the one who will help you. The actual seamstresses and tailors are located in some other building. I literally had the dress I was trying on, taken off me and given to a guy on a scooter who zipped away to get it re-altered.

You do get tired of having fittings done because sometimes they just can't get it right, but these are very necessary. If you have limited time, do let them know.

I loved being able to "design" the clothes I wanted and getting a wardrobe of unique clothes that actually fit me.

Here's a site to check:

http://www.hoian.co.uk/tailor_shop_help.php

http://www.hoian.co.uk/tailor_shop_guide.php

Good luck and have fun!
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 04:29 AM

thx so very much for that amazing amount of info... i have printed it out to accompany me. quick question. did you ship your clothes home. we are going to SEA for 3 weeks and travelling quite a bit and i plan on taking clothes that i can just throw out as i wear to make room in my duffel , but it sounds like you had an "extreme makeover" (love it!!!). and also, did you have any massages in hoi an?? anything to recommend??? while we are at it, your favorite restaurant there?? thx again. you have been so helpful and i am so excited/
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

My friends and I did as you are planning which was to bring just a small number of clothes that we didn't care about and we threw out some to make room for the new clothes. I brought some of those plastic bags that you can squeeze the air out of to compress everything down, which helps with the storage in your suitcase but not necessarily the weight. We bought quite a lot of clothes but managed to fit it all in our bags so no need to ship anything. However, we did check our bags for our flights, so if you're planning to just have carryon, you may want to ask about shipping.

One place I mentioned above to eat at was "White Marble Wine Bar which is located one block from the river. It was a fun place to sit and people-watch. The menu is small but offers delicious tapas-like dishes to share. Very inexpensive!"

Some one recommended to us a restaurant called Morning Glory which is also a cooking school. We didn't have a chance to go there. Walk along the river and you'll see a number of restaurants that look pretty good.