Reload this Page >

Help With Trip Itinerary Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam

Old Apr 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all-

My husband and I will be traveling to Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam from May 13 to June 8. We are trying to figure out our exact itinerary and we have the following tentative plan:

05/15 Arrive BKK at 11:50 pm
05/17 Fly to Chiang Mai
05/21 Fly to Siem Reap
05/25 Fly to Danang, Vietnam
05/31 Fly to Ko Samui
06/06 Fly back to BKK
06/08 Depart BKK to US

How does this look as far as time in each place? Any suggestions regarding changes we should make would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM

May i ask why you are doing so many countries in one trip?
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM

it's a bit rushed but some people like to travel that way. I do sometimes, when I just need a taste of everything....if that's what you're doing then it's fine, if it's not, then I'd personally save Chiang Mai for another trip and go to a more interesting beach location than Ko Samui. My 2 cents.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:27 AM

it looks busy to me, but doable....in VN, what are you doing? not many days? personally i would fly to hanoi and spend the whole time there or frankly cancel the whole VN stop and spread it around in thailand
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM

I would keep the flights for Thailand separately from the flights to Cambodia and Vietnam. Example - do the Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui first and the I would then go to Da Nanag and use Siem Reap as your final destination before returning to Bangkok(for transit only) for your flight home.

I believe you will save time and money doing it like this.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 06:08 PM

This from someone who has never been to Chiang Mai (only Chiang Saen further north) but has been to all the other places on your proposed itinerary.

I gather you want a sampling of Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia and that is why you have constructed this itinerary rather than spending more time in-depth time in fewer places.

I also gather that you have a reason for choosing Danang. I love central coastal VN, but Hanoi arguably provides more of an introduction to VN if this is a first trip.

I would steal a day or two from Koh Samui and add them elsewhere. While it is hard to advise without knowing your goals and preferences, I do think that the other cities on your itinerary are all more interesting or, in the case of Danang, close to interesting sights (beach, Cham ruins, Hoi An, even Hue). If you say more, we can be more helpful, but for most travelers I would advise shaving some time from Koh Samui and adding it elsewhere unless you have a very specific reason for spending time in Koh Samui.

Hanuman knows better than I how to reorder your flights for efficiency in travel and cost savings.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Looks too rushed to me. I'm pretty sure you'll end up sitting on airplanes/coaches most of the time. Why not skip one of those countries and save it for your next vacation?