Help with Thailand trip

Mar 27th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

Help with Thailand trip

Need some help with our trip to Thailand this summer. My 2 sons (9 and 11) and I are going to Thailand at beginning of June. Need some help to decide what to do. Have 2 options on my mind. 1. Go to Hua Hin and stay there for 12 days, hotel I am looking at: Hilton or Hyatt Regency. Hilton is right in town, seems to have nice rooms, but not that charming to look at. Hyatt is a bit out of town, but could perhaps be better for the boys with water slide etc. At the end 2 days in Bangkok at Marriott resort and spa or the new Hilton Millenium.

Second option: go to Pattaya for 5 days and stay at Hard Rock Hotel, could be fun for the boys? Then 5 days on Koh Chang at The Amari hotel there. Then 2 days in Bangkok.

What would be the best, important that the boys would have a good time.
Thanks for your help.
Mar 27th, 2006, 01:35 AM

Your second option is the best IMO.

Hard Rock will be a lot of fun for the kids but don't expect too much from the beach around there. Koh Chang will be the opposite of Pattaya, quiet, nice beaches and sea.

Hua Hin for 12 days will get monotonous.
Mar 27th, 2006, 01:35 AM

12 days in hua hin seems like an eternity.

Pattaya may be more fun for the boys. There is a small ammusment park with some "adventure rides" their is also a yellow submorine that dives into the Gulf. another place for the kids toi check out may be the Riplyies believe it or not

I'm not sure if the hard rock is the appropriate place for the kids Hard rock hotels tend to cater towards adults and Pattaya sure is a meca for adult entertainment especially for men.

2 days in bkk seems very short even if your not into big cities.

Mar 27th, 2006, 02:23 AM

Orgy is right about Pattaya being a bit on the sleezy side but the Hard Rock is fine and caters to children. I often take my daughter and her friends there and never had any problem.
Mar 27th, 2006, 05:36 AM

i personaly would not stay at the hilton in HH...while it has a great and convenient location the hotel itself is not all that great and the pool is sort of in a cement bowl...

the hyatt is fabulous, even with its removed location

koh chang is very nice and the amari is fantastic..
Mar 27th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help.
First a question to Hua Hin: How far ist The Hyatt out of town, would be a problem to get transport to and from the hotel?
A question to our second option: Is there anything to do on Koh Chang in the evenings, restaurants, shops etc?

We still have a hard time trying to decide, however the boys likde fact that the Hyatt has a 22m waterslide

Any comments to Bangkok Marriott vs Millenium Hilton anyone?
Mar 27th, 2006, 07:12 AM

if the boys want water slides the is a big water park in around bkk.
---
theirs not much going on in HH any way.
Mar 27th, 2006, 04:12 PM

I replied to this inquiry earlier, but it looks like my reply got deleted.

Pattaya is rather sleazy, though I would trust Hanuman if he says the Hard Rock Hotel is appropriate for kids. If it were me, I'd spend my beach time In Hua Hin at the Hyatt. It has beautiful grounds, multiple pools, and it has activities for the kids. I agree with orgy that 12 days in Hua Hin is too long. I'd opt for spending a bit more time in Bangkok and consider a few days in Chaing Mai to take the boys to the Elephant camp.

If you are serious about Koh Chang, remember that it is one of the few islands in Thailand that are malarial risk. That's an important consideration in traveling with kids. If you are interested in going there, consult with a travel med doc before you book.
Mar 27th, 2006, 06:18 PM

first the marriott vs the hilton...i stayed at marriott....the rooms are dated but you are never in them...the hilton just leaves me cold honestly...i would never even consider staying there and the beach area is way to busy being right in town...and dirty...

the pool is nice at the marriott...there is a play area for kids and a kids club...the beach is quite nice there...the pool is fantastic and there is a medium size slide there...

the hyatt is quite a ways south, maybe a 5-10 minute drive...there are tons of tuk tuks around to take you very cheaply...so no problem....

the hyatt is more upscale...i am staying there in november...

koh chang....as far as i am concerned there is nothing to do at nite outside of your hotel...it is very dark on the road and dangereous to walk on, imo....shopping on the island is almost non-existant...you go there for the beach and water sports and your resort activities...there is some elephants in a couple of places and you can go up into the national park...

here is another issue for you...koh chang is a malaria risk area and you should have protection from this....HH is not...

the drive to HH is about 2 hours and boring...

the flight to chang is 35 minutes and then a ride of 1-2 hours depending on the ferry schedule....it is more interesting however....

with kids maybe you would be better off at HH
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all of you for your valuable information.
I think that Hua Hin will be the best place for us, and we are leaning towards the Hyatt. I will make the hotel booking within a week, plane tickets with Thai Airways are alreadey booked. Perhaps we will spend a few days more in Bangkok, however I am not quite sure what we should to there if we stay there some extra days. The boys are not especially fond of going from one shopping mall toanother, so I could need some tips regarding fun and interresting places and things to do. When it comes to accom in Bangkok, our travelagent has recommended The Bangkok Marriott by the river. It looks nice on the pictures.Do all the rooms at The Marriott have balconies? Is the pool area nice? However I see that there is brand new Hilton in Bangkok, also by the river, could perhaps be fun to stay there.
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:12 AM

The Hyatt is far far better in terms of pools and ground area / gardens than the Hilton or Marriott.
As far as location HH town center is busy and for beach an everything the Hyatt is nicer, it is just past the famous Chiva Som and before the new Wora Bura and this is a nice area. At night you get an amazing view of the huge illuminated Golden Buddha of Khao takiab from the beach area of the Hyatt.
It is under 10 minutes into the very center but the new Hua hin Shopping Mall ( mega sized, Megamax Cinemas, bowling alley, Asian food halls, Thai souvenirs and Thai market village inside, lots of restaurants, events and entertainment many nights ) is a great attraction, this is south of the Marriott so is nearer to the Hyatt.

Along the road outside the Hyatt from sunrise to sunset lime-green Songthaews ( cover pick-ups with seats in the back ) ply along the road from the Hyatt passing the mall and continue right into the central market area of Hua hin, you just flag/wave them to stop. It costs B 10 ( USD 25 cents ) per person, you can drop at the mall, under 5 minutes, from there into town they have a SF style streetcar( with wheels not track ) to and from town center and it's free(!).
After dark tuk tuks, sonthaews and taxis easily available from/to Hyatt at about B 100 ( USD 2.50 ).
Next to Hyatt is Sasi restaurant and Show, Thai dance, acrobats and things, nest to that is sasi Bar with has blues/jazz music and indoor open side bar, friendly trendy, on the street is a local food/drinks place with band.
Take the Songthaew 'south' from Hyatt through Khao Takiab Village, at the end you can walk or ask the driver to take you further ( extra B 20 ) to the elephants at takiab Bay, also the fishing village at Takiab, there is off road ATV rides in the area ( they also have kids sized one with crash helmets ), lots of sand and dust, great fun!!
North of town near airport is Go Kart track.
Monkeys at Khao takiab, a day trip to bang saphan takes about 2.5 hrs each way, includes speed boat ride to Koh Talu, boat rides around rocks for snorkeling, beach lunch, fun day out.
Sam Roi Yot National Park for caves, temples, wetlands, birdwatching etc.

Lots of very good restautrants, now more japanese restaurants have opened, but also new is American BBQ, new York deli etc in town, also Santa Fe Steakhouse, plus superb Thai restaurants, many like Let's Sea and Supatra are right on the beach, these are classy places, packed at weekends, for "let's Sea" booking essential at w/ends.
Hyatt Camp Hyatt kids club is excellent.

Sasi Dinner and show:
www.sasi-restaurant.com/Links/photo_03.htm

www.sasi-restaurant.com/Links/photo_04.htm

www.sasi-restaurant.com/Links/events.htm

In the central market also another show place, the Hua hin Thai show, cabaret some nights Thai shows another night.

Another thing you may enjoy as family is the Elephant Village where you 'work' with the elephants for the day
www.travel-huahin.com/tours/elephant_center.htm

If you like scenic flying you can also fly to Hua hin, the flight is scenic and takes about 45 minutes, it's not cheap but can be fun to do one way, 4 flights a day, single engine Cessna, adults about USD 75, children about USD 45
www.sga.aero/en/huahin.html

If yuo planned on Pattaya I would suggest Jomtien beach, close to Pattaya Park, you also have places like Underwaterworld, the Alankarn show and other things to do, lots, go kart etc, lots of shopping, some good value for money resorts in Jomtien, if you want a busy beach 'city' area Pattaya is very lively, Hua Hin is more if you want more tame and laid back and also want to get out to nature places, parks, coastline, elephants etc, they are very different.

Note the Hyatt HH gets very full, try http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/hu...gency/details/ for lots of photos of the Hyatt, should be about USD 120 range.

Mar 28th, 2006, 01:23 AM

Just adding the Hard Rock is a great 'fun' place but very busy area and not much good if you want beach, the Ambassador City at Jomtien still holds I believe the world record as largest resort, 5,000 rooms, many of the older lower priced rooms a bit worn but with a family the suites fo from around USD 75 upwards so it's a good value for money place with so many activities, large pools, tennis, lots to do though it is a mega sized complex.
Mar 28th, 2006, 02:04 AM

Why just 2 options - HH or Patt/Chang?
Why not Koh Samui-Koh Phangan-Koh Tao?
Why not HH for a few days then down to Chumphon, ferry to Tao, ferry to Phangan, ferry to Samui, then fly back to BKK?
Mar 28th, 2006, 02:20 AM

That routing down the coast is one that I often 'highly' recommend, you get to see lots but don't have to spend much time traveling, the route south of Hua Hin has great places to stop and stay, you can get a car and driver between each place, it does get you off the beatenb track but there are some top class resorts along the coast and also family hotels, Banito Beach resort at Bang Saphan is a couple of hours from HH, from there you can snorkel around Koh Talu Island, then perhaps just 1 hr 30 to either the Cabana resort at Chumphon or for more upmarket the new Tusita resort Chumphon. Then the jet Cat 1 hr 30 boat trip to Koh Talu for snorkel and scuba if you wish and then a short boat hop to Samui to end up with a lively island, then just 1 1 hr flight to BKK.
Sound rushed but not, don't have to do all, but you get a huge mix of busy beach areas plus natural scenery and coastline and islands, at June is perfect time for that coast and islands

www.beachsiam.com/sunrise_coast.html gives ideas of the coastal route. Car with driver ( taxi service ) easy from place to place.
Mar 28th, 2006, 02:34 AM

This is a simple map that puts those locations into perspective, many forget this coastal route but I rate it as tops, so easy place to place.

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/route.html

Until a few years back this was what you might call a popular back-packer route but now with lots of class resorts opened up you can spend about $50 on a/c nice sedan or s/wagon from resort lobby to the next in a few hours, or budget down and take the express bus, but with 4 a car is almost as cheap anyway. Lots of temples, villages, beaches, elephants roaming. Hotels include mid range 3 stars plus top lux like Evason Hideaway and Tusita, the Koh Talu island resort is on it's own island and although more rustic gives you a real taste of Thailand in comfort.
Just some ideas.
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:23 AM

a couple of activities in bkk for the kids are the zoo, which is quite good and the new aquarium at the new paragon mall....

teh joe lewis puppet theatre at the night market might also interest them...

HH is a good choice and i think the hyatt is about as good as it gets....we are also trying the wora bura at jamesA's suggestion this time...i would not worry about getting in and out of town...its quite easy...

there is a fun elephant camp above the town of HH which the kids would enjoy...you need a taxi to get there....they could feed an elephant and maybe take a ride...
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:39 AM

you will be very happy with the marriott in bkk as well...i have sent several families there and they are all very happy....there are not any family rooms however....its best to request two adjoining rooms with a door in between...

the pool there is fantastic, but no slide....there is a mini mall out front with tons of stuff for the kids to do on their own....also mcdonalds, burger king, pizza hut and an ice cream store, all right on the property...it is sort of a self contained place....there is a very good thai restaurant out front as well which is perfect for the kids...very cheap....its initals are KS, but i forget the full name....it is on the left as you enter the mall area from the hotel---way to the left and near the street...

the kids will love the boat rides as well to and from the skytrain (free)...

hire a long tail boat one day and do the klong tour....the kids will love the roar of the engine and the fast ride up the river....
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:44 AM

The Joe Louis Puppet Theater is fantastic. You will love it as much as the kids.

I suggest more BKK time and less HH time. The kids will love the Marriott pool.
Mar 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM

bkk

there is a children's museum next to jatajuk market.

if the family wants to do something more quot;sporty" there are bowling facilities in many malls

Mar 28th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

You are all fantastic on this forum! Thank you so much for all the great information (especially JamesA and rhkkmk). I will now print it all out start to sort out all the information and then make some plans.
By the way I spoke with some friends that came back from Bangkok some days ago. They spent 5 days in Bangkok staying at The Millenium Hilton. They wanted to stay at The Bangkok Marriot Resort and Spa but it was fully booked. The Hilton was very nice. However one day they made a trip to look at The Marriot to see if they had missed something, and they told me that to their opinion The Marriot was much, much nicer, with a lovely garden, far better pool area and lots of restaurants. And they liked that it was shoppingmall attached to the hotel. They were in no doubt, next time they come to Bangkok they will stay at The Marriot!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO