Search

Help with Sri Lanka Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Sri Lanka Itinerary

Hello,
I am planning a trip to Sri Lanka in 3 week (april 26-may 2) with my husband. We can only stay 6 nights and since there is so much to do, I am having trouble deciding what to choose to visit.
I think we can skip the beaches since we will staying in Maldives for 4 nights after Sri Lanka.

So far, the only thing I know I want to do is to stay two nights at the Ceylon Tea Trails, and also some nights (how many you recommend) at a national park to see elephants in their national habitat (not sure if Yala is the best one, or if you suggest others). Not sure how long it takes from Colombo to Ceylon Tea Trails, to yala, and to wherever else I have time to visit.

Any suggestions to build my itinerary would be greatly appreciated! We both love nature, scenic views, animals, and unique cultures.

thank you so much in advance!
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 06:38 AM

I'd suggest you spend your remaining nights in the Cultural Triangle. You can visit one of the national parks there to see a herd of wild elephants, and you can visit some of the most famous sites in Sri Lanka, like Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya and the Dambulla Cave Temples. I highly recommend the Kandalama for your stay there.

You might look at our photos from Sri Lanka: www.marlandc.com/SriLanka/index.htm
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 05:50 AM

Visit the main cities if your plan is not to visit the beaches. the cultural sites and temples are more in the central part of sri lanka.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:52 PM

I agree with Kathie's that spending your time in the cultural triangle area would be the best use of your time. Getting to Yala will take more time than you might think and, when we were there around the same time it proved impossible to find any vacant accomodation at such short notice. I also enjoyed Kandy and from there you could visit the Pinnawela elephant " orphanage" ( although, as the elephants seemed well cared for I am not sure how much of a rescue facility and how much it is a money making operation).

With the limited time you have available, I assume you will be hiring a car and driver to get around?
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions!
I am speaking with a travel agency which is suggesting:
first night in Wallawwa
2 nights in Tea Trail in Hatton (our only request)
3 nights in Galle in Frangipanie Tree to do whale watching, Kanneliya Rainforest, and Galle Fort.

Not sure if I like this itinerary, since I will be missing The Cultural Triangle.

I would imagine that the Cultural Triangle is much more important and impressive to see over Galle, correct? If so, is 4 nights enough to see it all?

Also, is hiring a car and driver recommended, taking into consideration that we will stay two nights at Ceylon Tea Trails where we will not need the driver?

We are a young couple and are willing to have extremely packed days in order to see as much as possible in Sri Lanka in only 6 nights.

thanks again for your help!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:45 AM

I definitely would favor the Cultural Triangle over Galle. Hiring a car and driver is highly recommended. We spent 4 nights at Tea Trails - the driver stayed nearby and was available if we needed him. It will take all day to drive from the Cultural Triangle to Tea Trails (and from Tea Trails to Galle). Plan on a 1/2 day drive to the Cultural Triangle from the airport and another 1/2 day or so between the airport and Tea Trails. From Galle to the airport is a two hour drive. There is a game park - Minneriya, about an hour from the Cultural Triangle where you can do an afternoon safari and see elephants.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 05:25 AM

I agree with Craig. Combine Tea Trails and the Cultural Triangle. In four nights (three days), you could see most of it.

We hired a car and driver for our whole time - it is well worth it.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
what Kathie said.

we too stayed at the Kandalama and loved it. you can easily combine a trip to Polonawera [a cultural heritage site] or Sigeriya with an afternoon at Minneriya.

if you had more time i'd say got to Galle which we felt had a wonderful atmosphere, but you simply don't have time.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Hi Kathie,

You want to skip the beaches and stick to the nature and wildlife for 6 days here is my suggestion.

Sri Lanka itinerary - Nature & Wild life

Day 1 - Airport – Ratnapura

Day 2 - Ratnapura – Sinharaja reserved forest (If you are a nature lover this is one place in Sri Lanka you must be in

Day 3 - Sinharaja – Udawalawe – Nuwara Eliya (You stop in Udawalawa for jeep sufari to see wild life0

Day 4 - Nuwara Eliya – Horton Plains (Check some pictures of Horton plains in internet. you would love it)

Day 5 - Nuwara Eliya – Kandy (Visit Peradeniya botanical gardens in the evening.

Day 6 - Kandy - Colombo (en route visit Pinnawala Elephant orphanage. It is unique to Sri Lanka and you wouldn't find it in any other place.

You can catch Sri Lnakan airlines male' flight which is scheduled in night to Maldives.

It is hard to do Sri Lanka in 6 days. This journey can be exhausting but you have enough time to relax in Maldives beaches.

Enjoy / Sunny