Help with Rajasthan honeymoon itin

Nov 21st, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Help with Rajasthan honeymoon itin

Hello folks,

My fiancee' and I are Indians working abroad and have never traveled to Rajasthan/Agra. I found this forum last week and was pleasantly surprised by the amazing posts. Our trip is in Jan 06, and we're not signing up for any organized tour, just making flight/train bookings and rest we'll play by ear. We're getting hotel rooms as a wedding gift from family friends that have a timeshare with the properties listed. Please critique the proposed itin. I would like to know
- of any idiocies of mine that would make the itin too hectic/unsafe
- whether any of the properties listed should be avoided (we might make alternate hotel bookings in that case)
- whether there are any essential/romantic places to see that are an easy detour from the itin

Day 1: Arrive PM in Udaipur, check into Paras Mahal, do some local sight-seeing

Day 2: Hang around town/possible day trips to Chittorgarh or Mt. Abu

Day 3: PM rent car to Luni (nr Jodhpur) and check-in at Ft. Chanwa Hotel. Spend evening in Jodhpur or Luni (Question: Is there a convenient train from Udaipur to Luni instead of driving?)

Day 4: AM Car trip to Ranakpur temple & back. Check-out PM and kill evening in Jodhpur prior to taking late PM train to Jaisalmer

Day 5: Arrive in Jaisalmer early AM, check-in to Heritage Inn. PM sand dunes, camel rides

Day 6: Spend AM in Jaisalmer, then take 3PM train to Jaipur.

Day 7: Arrive Jaipur early AM, check-in to Mandawa Haveli. Spend day seeing Jaipur.

Day 8: Early AM car trip to Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary & back. Spend PM seeing rest of Jaipur. (Question: Would it be worth going from Bharatpur to Agra (Taj Mahal) and back to Jaipur the same day?)

Day 9: AM Fly from Jaipur to Bombay.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Guni
Nov 21st, 2005, 08:54 PM

Your itin. needs improvement. As this is your honeymoon trip, cut down on travel time & distances.
a. Make a day trip to Chittor, if you are steeped into the gallant Mewar history. Mt. Abu is 180km from Udaipur, though the Delwara temples have to be seen to be believed.The temple closes down for visitors quite early. You cant do it in one day...better not.
b. Luni is short of Jodhpur so stay overnight at Chunwa Fort. Also while driving up, you can see Ranakpur jain temples.
c.You can't do Jaipur-Agra-Jaipur in one day; 500km plus sightseeing!!
d. You may go to Ramgarh lake for bird-watching but may be you just see coots on the waterfront - On a lucky day I counted 76 Bar headed geese, 12 Mallards & my little daughter enjoyed kite flying on the sandy beach, directly opposite the Taj Ramgarh lodge.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Mr. Singh,

Thanks for your feedback! Its a great help. Regarding day trips by car, is it possible to play by ear, i.e. get to the destination and then reserve?

Also do you have any recommendations for reliable companies/drivers? I was leaning towards going with the RTDC wherever possible but its not clear if they offer last minute reservations.

Thanks
Guni

Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

I've revised my itin for two reasons: the timeshare option didn't pan out, and second: I figured we'd simplify things by avoiding jaipur on this trip. A couple of questions with the itin below:

1. Are the properties listed good options?
2. Is it easy to get a car from jodhpur to udaipur?

Here's the current itin:

Day 1: Fly into Jodhpur, stay at Ajit Bhavan

Day 2: See Jodhpur, take night train to Jaisalmer

Day 3: See Jaisalmer, stay at Narain Niwas (any other lodging suggestions?)

Day 4: See more Jaisalmer. Take evening train back to Jodhpur, stay night at Karni Bhavan (again, any other suggestions?)

Day 5: Proceed by car to Udaipur, stopping at Kumbalgarh and Ranakpur. (Possibly spend night and morning at Devigarh)

Day 6: Udaipur; stay at Lake Palace (suggestions for better values welcome)

Day 7: Drive to Mt. Abu. Stay at Cama Rajputana.

Day 8. See Dilwara Jain temples, Nakki Lake etc. Return to Bombay.

Thanks for your help!
Guni
Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Hey folks,

Made some more changes to the itin based on talks with Mr. Dashora of Parul Travels. He's everything you guys said he was and more. Also changed the properties we're staying at based on Lonely Planet suggestions. Any comments?

Day 1: Fly to Udaipur (AM). Stay at Udai Kothi
Day 2: Udaipur sight-seeing
Day 3: Check-out & Drive early to Mt.Abu via Ranakpur. Stay at Palace Hotel
Day 4: Spend day sight-seeing in Mt. Abu
Day 5: Drive to Jaisalmer from Mt. Abu. Stay at Hotel Suraj
Day 6: Sight seeing in Jaisalmer.
Day 7: AM Sight-seeing in Jaisalmer: 3PM train to Jodhpur, Stay at Devi Bhavan
Day 8: Sight-seeing in Jodhpur
Day 9: Check-out and fly from Jodhpur
Nov 23rd, 2005, 08:29 PM

Guni,
Coming to Rajasthan & leaving out Jaipur, does not appeal to me personally. Jaipur has so much to offer in the way of sightseeing, shopping, cultural shows & for the urbane Indian/NRI, would you not like to shake a leg with your fiancee at Chokhi Dhani, so very popular with tourists with Indian roots?
b. Do not go to RTDC hotels as the service is poor & food below average.
c. The road from Mount Abu directly or through Palanpur is too long & you are on a honey-moon!
d. In Jaisalmer, stay at either Gorbandh, Fort Rajwara or Rajwansh. They will also arrange a dinner for you on the sand dunes.
e. In Jodhpur, stay at Ajeet Bhawan, you shall love it.
Hope it helps.
Nov 24th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Mr. Singh,

Again thanks a lot for your excellent advice. Much as I would have loved to do Jaipur, it was making our itinerary too tight. We're planning to do the Golden Triangle Delhi-Jaipur-Agra on a subsequent trip (anniversary??) instead.

The Abu-Jaisalmer drive is going to be rough, but we figured we'll get to stop at Barmer on the way and see what rural Rajasthan looks like. Coming up to Jodhpur instead would have forced us to do the Jodhpur-Jaisalmer stretch twice, which didn't sound appealing.

Thanks for the hotel recommendations, I will follow your advice.

Regards
Guni