Help! What to do in Phuket?

Sep 15th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Help! What to do in Phuket?

Hello. For part of my SE Asia trip, I will be in Phuket for 2 1/2 days. I won't be there to relax, but rather I want to use my time to see the most spectacular scenery and take the best possible pictures, oh yeah, and I'd also like to go scuba diving for a few hours. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking that I could spend one day in Ko Phi Phi and go diving there. Would I have enough time to dive, see the scenery in Ko Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Ley if I come in the earliest ferry and depart on the latest ferry in the same day?

I was also thinking that I could dedicate my other day to take John Grey's sea canoe day trip in the Phang Nga Bay. Is the Phang Nga Bay worth seeing? It sounds awesome, but the pictures I've seen aren't as nice as some other islands.

Maybe instead of Phang Nga Bay, I could go diving in the Similan Islands. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long question.
Sep 16th, 2006, 01:45 AM

To scuba you need to go 'off island', there are plenty of day trips to snorkel and scuba, you only have a very short time, decide if you want to take a day trip to Phi Phi, masses of tourist boats ply the route, Similan islands forget, you really don't have the time at all. Phang Nga interesting but again, your time is tight and it will take up most of the day, if you did a day trip to Phi Phi and did Phang Nga that is your time used us already.
Sep 16th, 2006, 02:08 AM

A good source of easy information is http://www.phuketgazette.net to give you ideas.
Sep 16th, 2006, 03:12 AM

I suggest you go to www.tripadvisor.com into the Phuket forum.. there are some really great reviews on stuff there... If you want to go to Phi Phi you are probably better doing a speedboat tour, although I have heard Similians are better for snorkelling/diving. You might want to look at doing the John Gray Hong By Starlight tour which starts at midday and goes through to about 10pm with a seafood buffet dinner. Heaps of great reviews on it on tripadvisor. There is also the Rehab Centre for Elephants that a guy on Tripadvisor helps at. He takes people up there and everyone says its a great day out. His name is Richard and his screen name is phuketrichard. You will see heaps of his posts on tripadvisor. He also runs a diving company in Phuket, so could be a good contact if you want to do a day diving. do a search, his contact details are in alot of posts on the phuket forum!

If you need more details let me know

Reeta x
Sep 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot JamesA and Reeta. This information is very helpful. I guess I'll spend one day in Phang Nga Bay and the other day in Ko Phi Phi.