Search

Help ! Trip to Chiang Mai in December

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help ! Trip to Chiang Mai in December

Hi all

Will be in Chiang Mai for 5 nights, is it too long a trip ? This is my first time there and I have a rough plan as what we should do but I need more suggestions and reasurrance that we will not be bored during our stay.

Do not want to do any stays outside Chiang Mai as we live in Singapore and can visit Thailand any other time.

1 day at the tribes/golden triangle
1 day at the spa
1 day at the national park
1 day shopping
City tour on our own ?

What else is there to do will we be occupied ? Thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:57 PM

going to the golden triangle, chiang rai area is about a 3 hour drive each way...that would not leave you very much time for looking around...suggest an overnite, even though you say no above...or else skip it...
if you are a serious shopper you will need 2 days in cm....
you do not mention doi sutup (sp) temple, one of CM's premier sites??
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:19 PM

We stayed 6 nights a few years ago..1st night, we did nothing!! Second day we did a Cooking Class, Third day a city tour, 4th day snake farm/orchid farm/hilltribe village..5th day visited our foster child, 6th day rested by pool..Everynight we went by tuk tuk to night bazaar..We ran out of days to do anything else, but thought we could do the rest next time we go!!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 05:09 AM

I would also definitely go to the Queen's Botanic Gardens
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 05:38 AM

Hire a driver - don't take any tours. Wat Doi Su Thep is a must - you could combine this with a trip to the elephant camp. The orchid farm is on the way. Skip the snake farm - it is a tourist rip-off. As for a "city tour", there are about 4 other smaller wats in the city that are worth visiting - would take no more than a couple of hours. Skip the golden triangle if you do not intend to stay there. The hill tribes that you would see on a day trip will be people in their native garb selling stuff from stalls along the road - you will get little feel for how they live. The best shopping is in the handicrafts villages on the road heading east out of Chiang Mai - could take up the better part of a day. I did not think the night market was all that great. If you do spa for a day and a trip to the national park (don't know anything about this) then 4 days, 5 nights is about right.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 09:46 PM

definately stay a nite in golden triangle area...long neck womens villages, elephant camps...hilltribe villages that grow tea and coffee are in the mountains...its so beautiful/
go see the Mekong.....

you will not be bored...there are wats and temples on every block...great shopping...
the national park is wonderful...

go with an upscale spa...we did a 1400 baht
"spa package" and it was much less than we hoped for...no privacy...loud people talking...mosquitos....in a residential area....
they had leaflets and ads everywhere but i dont remember the spa name.. just the 1400
baht price was emphasized....

have a great time....chiang mai and surrounds are worthy of your time