Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help me plan our first trip to Southeast Asia!

Help me plan our first trip to Southeast Asia!

Old Jan 12th, 2020, 06:43 AM
  #81  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 497
Jacketwatch: I have been in touch with Tri Dung Nguyen and he is arranging a tour for my wife and I.
I wish to suggest a day tour on Feb. 11 touring Saigon in 7 hours :
Pickup - Chinatown - Visit Heavenly Lady temple - Downtown Saigon - Post Office and Cathedral - Photo stop at Independence Palace - Lunch at Pho 2000 - Visit Ben Thanh Central market - Visit Hi-end shopping road, Catinat, in Saigon - Museum - Visit Handicapped arts showroom - End of tour - Return to hotel

Tour price : US$189/ 2 pax or US$94.5 per person fỏ group of 2.
Inclusive services :
Car & ES Guide
Entrance tickets
Lunch & Drink
Photos
Bottled water

Regards,
Zoom
Nguyen Tri DungThank you for the recommendation. I will certainly let everyone know how this tour turned out!
allyboy is offline  
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 07:04 PM
  #82  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,827
Originally Posted by allyboy View Post
Jacketwatch: I have been in touch with Tri Dung Nguyen and he is arranging a tour for my wife and I.
I wish to suggest a day tour on Feb. 11 touring Saigon in 7 hours :
Pickup - Chinatown - Visit Heavenly Lady temple - Downtown Saigon - Post Office and Cathedral - Photo stop at Independence Palace - Lunch at Pho 2000 - Visit Ben Thanh Central market - Visit Hi-end shopping road, Catinat, in Saigon - Museum - Visit Handicapped arts showroom - End of tour - Return to hotel

Tour price : US$189/ 2 pax or US$94.5 per person fỏ group of 2.
Inclusive services :
Car & ES Guide
Entrance tickets
Lunch & Drink
Photos
Bottled water

Regards,
Zoom
Nguyen Tri DungThank you for the recommendation. I will certainly let everyone know how this tour turned out!
Very good! I am sure you will enjoy his services. He’s a gentleman. . Thank you for letting me know.
jacketwatch is offline  
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 08:15 AM
  #83  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 497
Crellston: I am receiving a full refund from the company that I had paid for the Cambodia Visas! I wrote an email to them which was both respectful and firm that since I hadn't completed the application process ( no passport photos) and their site did not fully explain the process that i should receive a refund...and they agreed! So upon your advice we will get our visas at the Phnom Penh airport on arrival! Thanks for your help.
allyboy is offline  
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 04:11 AM
  #84  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 497
Leaving on our trip tomorrow evening!

Anticipating a bit of a letdown as I didn't realize until after all the reservations were made that we arrive in Hanoi on the first day of the Lunar New Year. Many restaurants, museums, places of interests will be closed during our time here and although there will be colorful celebrations going on it is disappointing, If anyone has any suggestions for being in Hanoi at this time I would appreciate them.

In any case sending out my thanks to everyone who too took the time to help us on our first trip to Southeast Asia!
allyboy is offline  
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 04:44 AM
  #85  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,354
I have not been in Hanoi during Lunar NY, but have been in Thailand a couple of times at different places and Hong Kong, I never had a problem finding things that are open and to do. Right now i am in Sri Lanka which is getting a huge influx of Chinese visitors. I think you’ll be fine. Enjoy your trip!
yestravel is offline  
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 05:24 AM
  #86  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,809
I have been in Hanoi a couple of times over Tet. The first time was 25 or so years ago when everywhere seem to be closed was closed and we even struggled to find anywhere to eat. The last time I think was 4-5 years ago and much more was open, more restaurants certainly. I think the museums will mostly be closed but the temples and pagodas will likely be busy.

The first day of Tet is the most important and when more places will be closed. After that te city seemed to come back to life, albeit gradually. The area of the old quarter north of Hoan Kiem lake always seems busy and that may be a good place to head to. One years they closed off the road at the top of the lake and put on a circus for a couple of nights which was fun. I think the water puppets are always open.

if you have flexibility, it might be an idea to head out to one of the villages close to Hanoi, say one in the Mai Chau Valley where Vietnamese hospitality will be in full swing. We spent a very enjoyable evening in the company of the local party cadre president who was hosting a party for his family and some students from Hanoi Uni. If you do want to experience Tet in the countryside, an agency like Ethnic Travel May be your best at this late stage.

A shame that you weren’t aware of it, but I don’t think all is lost. It is a very atmospheric time to be in Hanoi with all the celebrations, the burning of teh ghost money in te streets etc. Good luck
crellston is offline  
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 09:03 AM
  #87  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,827
Originally Posted by allyboy View Post
Leaving on our trip tomorrow evening!

Anticipating a bit of a letdown as I didn't realize until after all the reservations were made that we arrive in Hanoi on the first day of the Lunar New Year. Many restaurants, museums, places of interests will be closed during our time here and although there will be colorful celebrations going on it is disappointing, If anyone has any suggestions for being in Hanoi at this time I would appreciate them.

In any case sending out my thanks to everyone who too took the time to help us on our first trip to Southeast Asia!
Bon Voyage!!

All the best.

Larry
jacketwatch is offline  
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 05:30 PM
  #88  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,849
You are going to write a trip report when you get back aren't you!!!
isabel is online now  
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 05:34 PM
  #89  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,827
Originally Posted by isabel View Post
You are going to write a trip report when you get back aren't you!!!
I second that
jacketwatch is offline  
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 06:15 PM
  #90  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 68
FEW restaurants are closed because it is a very touristy time for the Viet an the Chinese. Some museums close for 2 days, pagodas and temples are open since the Asians go to pray. PLUS, lots of festivities in the streets. So, you will have an excellent time
Larsay is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 06:39 AM
  #91  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 497
I will most definitely write a trip report! In fact it starts tonight as we begin our 21 hour, 1 stopover in Hong Kong flight to Hanoi! In the past 48 hours I have arranged for a walking tour in Hanoi (despite the Tet New Year), a vegetarian cooking class in Hanoi ( the day before we head home) and a day trip down the Mekong Delta! Also received our first delayed flight noitice from Hanoi to Da Nang. This is going to be a very interesting trip!

I am a retired Theater Director/Acting Teacher and each trip that I plan is like the opening night of one of my productions. I have done all the research, "staging", dealt with all of the obstacles and now we are ready to go!! Thanks again!
allyboy is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 09:51 AM
  #92  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,809
Have a fantastic trip! I look forward to reading all about it.
crellston is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Tim_and_Liz
Asia
18
Apr 18th, 2007 11:37 AM
NatureGirl19317
Asia
23
May 21st, 2006 02:03 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO