Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help me decide on these 2 Hong Kong hotels

Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my 4th trip to Hong Kong, and I'm going with someone who has never been. So I imagine we'll be doing a combination of both touristy and off-the-beaten path activities. We'll be there in the 3rd week of January 2011.

I've narrowed things down to these 2 hotels but keep flipping back and forth about which might be the better choice, as I've never stayed at either.

1. Butterfly on Wellington
2. Metropark Causeway Bay

Executive suite is about the same price ($200) at both. We'll be there for 4 nights. I don't want to change hotels during our stay.

Previously I've stayed at Sheraton (will not stay in Tsim Tsa Shui area again), Langham Place (a bit far away), and Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay (which I considered again - the only thing I didn't like was that it was a deceptively long walk to the subway).

I love the area where Butterfly on Wellington is located. And it's a new hotel, which I also like.
But I think the Executive room at Metropark might be larger, nicer and have a better view. It's also very close to the Tin Hau subway station.

Any thoughts from the Hong Kong experts or people who've stayed at either or both?
Thanks!
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 08:04 AM

Is Butterfly on Morrison definitely open? I walked by it about 2 weeks ago and it still was not open. But if you are able to make a reservation, then I guess it is open.

The location of the Butterfly is really hard to beat: walkable to most sights and tons of good restaurants. You can go from the sophistication of SOHO to the old neighborhood areas of Sheung Wan pretty easily. It’s right next to the interesting Peel Street market area as well. The Metropark is more isolated in that you will spend time on public transport getting to sights. (The neighborhood of the hotel is rather interesting and transitioning, but I am not sure it would be so interesting to the average tourist, esp. a first time tourist who may want to concentrate on other areas. But if you have been to Hong Kong before, perhaps you would enjoy a more local traditional neighborhood. It has two interesting temples and some fun backstreet areas where street noodle shops are mixed in with more upscale places. However, I do think the location is secondary if you want to spend time in Central, on the Peak, etc)

I would agree that Butterfly is unlikely to have any views, as it is hemmed in by tall buildings on all sides. It is on a very narrow street, and has pedestrian alleys on both sides as far as I can recall. (I don’t think street noise would be much of an issue because the street is one-way and not heavily trafficked.) Metropark would most likely offer some good views. That being said in January you never know if pollution and/or fog will obscure views (night views should still be good, but there is a more than even chance that you won’t be able to see across the harbour on most days).

I love the location of the Crowne Plaza. It’s near to the very scenic Bowrington Road street market and then Times Square boutiques and malls, and is walkable to the charming Happy Valley. But please please don’t bother with the subway if staying there! It is not at all necessary to trek to the subway, as the #10 bus and several other major buses stop right in front of the hotel and can take you to Central in minutes or east toward North Point etc; there is also the very fun and scenic street tram to Happy Valley and elsewhere. (You can also take a bus to or from the Peak from directly in front of the hotel.) You can walk to the markets of Wan Chai as well (flat walk). Taking the subway from that location is not at all necessary; even a cab ride to Central would only be about HK$25. If you decide to stay there, let me know and I will post of list of useful bus numbers.

I might lean toward the Butterfly just because I think the location is very good, but I don’t think you would be unhappy with the others if you want views and larger rooms.
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Cicerone.
Well that's interesting that you noticed Butterfly on Wellington was still not open a few weeks ago! It certainly 'appears' to be open now, as there are nearly 50 reviews on Trip Advisor, and yes, they are taking reservations through their own website and others.

I wish I had known about the busses from Crowne Plaza!
I thought the room there was great - so I'll look into their rates again for my dates and rethink that as another possibility. I do think I'm leaning towards the Butterfly though (can't stand the name however!)

And I do appreciate hearing that harbor views might be obscured in January - being able to get this kind of first-hand info from someone local in Hong King is really invaluable.
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 07:31 PM

If you end up at the Crowne Plaza, the following buses might be useful. The bus stop for trips to Cental is literally in front of the hotel, next to the tram stop. For return trips from Central, or trips in the direction of Victoria Park and North Point, the stop is across the street from the hotel in front of a 7-11:

10 – this runs on a loop from Kennedy Town at the far western end of the Island to North Point and back and makes several stops in Central. This is a great bus to take to or from Central and also just for going to neighborhoods like Kennedy town which offers a chance to see old-fashioned Hong Kong.

914 – from Causeway Bay via Hennessy to the High Court/Pacific Place II and then Central. This goes on via the harbour tunnel to Jordan/Mong Kok on the Kowloon side.

15B – this goes from Causeway Bay to the Peak. A good option to return or get up to the Peak if you don’t want to take the tram (or walk, I can give some directions for various walking options to or from the Peak.)

76 - to Aberdeen via Tai Tam and then Deep Water Bay, a pretty ride

92- to Aberdeen via the tunnel and Ocean Park. Not as scenic but faster.

948 – morning and evening only, to Pacific Place II, and the HSBC building in Central
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 03:17 AM

http://www.hotelclub.com/Butterfly-O...otel-Hong-Kong

Open and booking as far as I know great hotel

perfect financial district location my fav...

have stayed there from $150 on discounters like above.

Happy Hunting,
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Cicerone.
Unfortunately Crowne Plaza is out of my price range in late Jan.
I think I've decided on Butterfly on Wellington.