Reload this Page >

Help! Indonesian novice!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 11:01 PM
Mikey & Fuffy

My husband and I have travelled southeast Asia: specifically southern Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City), Singapore, Bangkok and Chiang Mai Thailand, Hong Kong, and Beijing. We are about to embark on a 15 day vacation in September, 99 and are considering Indonesia (with Bali of some interest). What are some opinions about spending 15 days in Indonesia? Should we be considering any other locations in Indonesia that may be more interesting? Does anyone have negative comments to pass along? <BR>We've heard possibilities of unrest due to the elections and are concerned about the timing of a September trip. Any suggestions/comments?? <BR>Any other locations that should be on a "must-see" list?? <BR>Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 03:56 PM
Stephanie

I hope you get some advice from the forum, because I am now searching for info on Indonesia.. my husband is going on business to India and later to Indonesia, and I can join him for one of the two trips, I am leaning towards Indonesia. Any advice out there?

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 09:49 AM
Stephanie

Traveling in Indonesia at the moment could be more of an adventure than you bargained for. The US government has posted alerts about traveling there at this time. Bali and Lombock would be a safe bet...but the rest of the country is a bit unstable at the moment. With the upcoming results of the election expected the end of this month...it could get even more unstable. <BR>Having lived there for 2 1/2 years...it really is a magnificent country, with a lot of awesome sights. But I would check with the State Department before planning your trips. <BR>Bali is probably the most wonderful place I have been...and can hardly wait to get back. So just be cautious and check out things before you jump. I personally wouldn't go at this time. I need to get there for some business, but have decided to postpone until I see what will transpire the end of the month.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 12:12 AM
Michael

Do not travel to Indonesia during the period you mention. It is the time of the Presidential elections (the elections being counted at the moment were the general elections) and the country will be unstable (more than normal). I travel into Jakarta around 6 time a year and I would recommend a visit to Indonesia at the right time but this is not it, I have been there when when there was a massive amount of civil unrest and it is just not a safe environment. Delay for another day, <BR>Rgds <BR>Michael

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 02:40 PM
David

I just returned (on July 20) from a recent trip to Malaysia and Sumatra. We stayed for five nights in the lovely hill town of Bukittinggi in the West Sumatra highlands. Do not believe what other people write about Indonesia being unsafe. That makes me very angry. They are writing off the whole country for what's happening in a few areas. (Imagine not going to visit other areas iof California because of turmoil in L.A.) Bukittinggi was one of the highlights of our trip. We never questioned our safety during our stay. We spent five nights there and could have stayed much longer. The town does not look like much but the people were very friendly, the prices of everything was very cheap and the cultural richness of the surrounding area was superb. Go and enjoy. You can e-mail me with any further questions.

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 03:21 PM
Keith

M & F, <BR> I'd like to second the comments of the previous post. I was backpacking through Indonesia last year shortly after the fall of Suharto. I felt perfectly safe and got to meet some really wonderful and upbeat people. (At that time, there were few travelers outside of the tourist areas, so finding lodging was a breeze and folks were glad to see a visitor). People seemed to be going about their normal business. I still have contacts there, and things seem to be going normally. <BR> As to the Sept. Presidential "elections", the popular voting has already occurred, and the people elected last month will be meeting in Sept (or Oct) to pick a President (like the US Electoral College if we had more than 2 parties) and vote on some proposed constitutional changes. Lot of backroom deal making will go on, but highly unlikely that there would be violence in the streets. (E. Timor is a seperate matter, and I would NOT go there in Sept.) Have fun in a truely beautiful part of the world - it will not be like the other places you've listed.