Help Help Three days in Japan

Nov 11th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Sue

Help Help Three days in Japan

We will be in Japan for 3 days we will be staying at the international airport we have to fly to Singapore and we are afraid of the traffic to get back to the airport. What do you suggest we do in Japan for 3 days. What should we not miss.Should we go on tours?
We will be there beginning of December.Are we wise to stay by the airport?

Nov 11th, 2000, 10:11 PM
Sharon

I assume by the airport you are referring to Narita (the International Airport for Tokyo) although there is also another International Airport in Osaka. Narita is about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours from Tokyo (there is a train and the Airport "Limosine" Bus to get you to and from the airport). With three days you should stay in Tokyo. You just plan properly with the Airport Limosine Bus schedule (it goes from or near all the major hotels) and you'll be fine. You should take a 1/2 day city tour of Tokyo just to acquaint yourself and a one day trip to Kamakura to see the big Buddha and some of the shrines and temples is great (we did this on our own). The Keio Plaza is a nice hotel in the Shinjuku area of Tokyo (a very bustling area of town). E-mail me directly with questions, if you like and I'll do my best to be of assitance.

Nov 11th, 2000, 11:31 PM
Florence

I assume you'll enter Japan through Narita airport since Osaka-Kansai is on an island and has no hotel that I know of.
I suggest that you take only what's needed for 3 days and leave all other luggage at the airport. Ask at the Tourist Information Center for assistance. There's a company that will keep your luggage for up to 5 days if my memory serves me right, look for a yellow and black sign with a mother cat carrying a kitten.
You should book a hotel in Tokyo, preferably around Tokyo Station, Ueno/Asakusa, or Shinjuku since it is easy to go there by train of limousine bus. The cheapest and most convenient in my experience is the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno station. It takes 1 hour with only 1 stop at Nippori station, keisei ueno station is rather small and unintimidating but just next door to the main Ueno station with train connections to all of the city.

A 1/2 day tour is a good idea for a quick glance of Tokyo, but going on your own is very easy by subway.

Not to miss: Asakusa Kannon temple and neighborhood (there's a good ryokan there, the Asakusa Shigetsu)

Tokyo-Edo Museum in Ryogoku

Shitamachi Museum in Ueno next to Shinobazu pond

Nezu, Yanaka and its traditional houses

Look www.jnto.go.jp and www.jinjapan.org for ideas, informations, hotels addresses, what's on, etc.

I wish you a very pleasant stay.

Nov 12th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Patrick

If you can be an early riser, you might want to catch the fish market auction which operates from something like 5AM till about 7AM or so, followed by a less exciting vegetable and fruit auction. We found it fascinating as they auction off huge fish and loads of fish to be shipped all over the world. Afterwards have breakfast in a local "noodle shop" -- sort of a Japanese version of McDonalds --fast food noodles dirt cheap. There are tons of these places all around the market. That morning was one of the most fun times we had in Tokyo.

Nov 13th, 2000, 08:25 PM
HKjudy

Hi Sue,
You've got lots of great suggestions already; I'll echo a few and then make a few new suggestions:

Definitely:
- Kamakura (a great day trip)
- check out Eno-shima afterwards.
- Tsikiji Fish Market (very early morn)
- Asakusa Kannon Temple (and Ryokan Shigetsu - we stay there each trip to Tokyo now)
- The area around Asakusa is one of the few old parts of the city left - it's a great place to just wander around.
- Kapabashi Dori (the restaurant supply area - fascinating!)
- Shinjuku and/or Ginza and/or Rippongi at night.
- the gardens around the Palace in Ginza
- if you happen to be there on a Sunday, you can't miss Harajuku

I'd also suggest that you stay the last night in the town of Narita City. It is a really nice small(ish) city just about 15 min by train from the airport. They have a very beautful temple surrounded by wonderful gardens. If you'd like, send an email and I'll find the name of the minshuku (sort of bed and breakfast) that we stayed at that was quite nice.

Also - take a look at the Japan pages of our site for some additional tips from travellers to Tokyo.

Have a great time!

Judy in Hong Kong
Accommodating Asia... let travellers' experiences be your guide
http://www.accomasia.com

Nov 26th, 2000, 01:19 PM
Sami

Don't forget about Tokyo Disneyland. I think you can take a taxi from your hotel. It's a little pricey, bi\ut if you enjoy the parks here in the states, you will love this one! It is much larger and magical than Disneyland or Wlat Disney World.

Nov 26th, 2000, 08:57 PM
Florence

Sami, Why on earth go all the way to Japan just to see something you already have at home ? There is so much to see in Tokyo, it's a "crime" to waste a full day on such a short stay.