Search

Help critique Japan trip itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 07:11 PM
jat
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help critique Japan trip itinerary

I would greatly appreciate a critique of the following itinerary for a trip to Japan in November. My husband and I prefer to see a few areas in depth, and would like as few hotel changes as possible, which is the reason for all the day trips from Tokyo and from Kyoto. Any suggestions for revisions, or any other advice would be most welcome. Is this too much time in Tokyo? I am not a shopper and prefer temples, museums, historic sites, gardens, etc. Will it be too cold at Mount Koya at the end of November to be enjoyable? Thank you!
Mon. 11/12: arrive Tokyo 4 pm
Tues. 11/13: Tokyo
Wed. 11/14: Tokyo-Hakone day trip
Thurs. 11/15: Tokyo
Fri. 11/16: Tokyo-Day trip to Nikko
Sat. 11/17: Tokyo.
Sun. 11/18: Tokyo- Day trip to Kamakura
Mon. 11/19. Train to Kyoto
Tues. 11/20: Kyoto
Wed. 11/21: Kyoto. Day Trip to Nara
Thurs. 11/22: Kyoto
Fri. 11/23 (Nov. 23 is a national holiday -Labor Thanksgiving Day): Train to Himeji. Then take train on to Kurashiki. Spend night in Kurashiki.
Sat. 11/24: Morning in Kurashiki, then train back to Kyoto.
Sun. 11/25: Kyoto
Mon. 11/26: Kyoto
Tues. 11/27: Train to Mount Koya, spend night in temple.
Wed. 11/28. Day at Mount Koya, returning to Kyoto
Thurs. 11/29: depart
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 07:00 AM

I think the fact that you aren't going to a different place every day is fabulous and I think you are wise to focus your time in Tokyo and especially Kyoto based on your interests. I do think you might want to either eliminate a day or two in Tokyo (maybe delete Hakone) and add it to Kyoto or eliminate Kurashiki or Koya and add it to Kyoto. Kyoto is the heart and soul of Japan and you could easily spend your whole time there without being bored. One day trip I would highly recommend from Kyoto is to the Miho Museum which was a highlight of my trip.

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Great itinerary. I would agree with glorialf and recommend spending more time in Kyoto, given your interests. You will love it. I have not been to Himeji, Kurashiki or Mount Koya, but would recommend not cutting out Hakone. The Hakone "circuit" can get a bit touristy, but if you want to experience hot springs, Hakone would be a good place. It is also a great place to experience the fall colors (which will be around in November) - truly beautiful!
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 06:05 PM
jat
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. How does the revised itinerary below look? I have a few specific questions:
Do I have too many day trips from Tokyo? If so, which should I cut out?
Hakone day trip or overnight? If overnight, do it at end of Tokyo stay, then go to Kyoto from Hakone? Is spending the night in Hakone worth the hassle of taking luggage, checking in/out of hotels, etc.?
Is Kurashiki worth the hassle of going for just one night (all the changing of hotels)?
How difficult is it to get to Mount Koya to spend a night there? Will it be too cold to be enjoyable at the end of November?
Will things be closed or will trains run on a different schedule on the Labor Thanksgiving Day?
Mon. 11/12: arrive Tokyo 4 pm
Tues. 11/13: Sightsee Tokyo. Imperial Palace. Meiji Jingu Shrine. Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office building for views.
Wed. 11/14: Tokyo. Hakone day trip?
Thurs. 11/15: Sightsee Tokyo: Fish market. Hama Rikyu Garden, boat to Asakusa. Sensoji Temple. Tokyo National Museum. Edo-Tokyo museum.
Fri. 11/16: Day trip from Tokyo to Nikko.
Sat. 11/17: Day trip from Tokyo to Kamakura
Sun. 11/18: Train to Kyoto
Mon. 11/19: Kyoto: Nijo Castle, Kyoto Imperial Palace. Eikando Temple.
Tues. 11/20: Kyoto: Walk around eastern Kyoto. Sanjusangendo Hall. Kiyomizu Temple.
Wed. 11/21: Day trip from Kyoto to Nara.
Thurs. 11/22: Kyoto: sightsee.
Fri. 11/23 (national holiday - Labor Thanksgiving Day): Train to Himeji. Then take train on to Kurashiki. Spend night in Kurashiki.
Sat. 11/24: Morning in Kurashiki, then train back to Kyoto.
Sun. 11/25: Kyoto: Temple of the Silver Pavilion. Philosopher’s Pathway. Heian Shrine. Tyoanji Temple. Golden Pavilion. Kyoto Handicraft Center.
Mon. 11/26: Kyoto
Tues. 11/27: Mount Koya, spend night in temple
Wed. 11/28: Day at Mount Koya, returning to Kyoto/Osaka.
Thurs. 11/29: Depart
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM

I see that you have only 5 days in Tokyo but 3 day trips. I think that is too much, IMO. Focus on one or at the most two. Have not been to Nikko or Kamakura but we enjoyed Hakone. Depends on what you are looking for. From my understanding, these 3 places are significantly different in what they have to offer. So try reading up a little (and searching on this board) and see what you would appreciate.

Also, since you have limited time in Tokyo, you can skip the Hama Rikyu Garden. It is nothing to write home apart (esp. when you see the Garden at the Temple of the Silver Pavilion - that is what I would picture heaven as!)

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Good itinerary. I recommend going to Tsukiji on the 13th since you probably will be waking up very early on your first day in Japan (if comimg from N.America anyway).

You really would want to go to Meiji Shrine, and Harajuku, on a Sunday. Or go on Saturday. That weekend, the 17-18th, will be one of the weekends that families will be celebrating shichi-go-san.

My first day, ever, in Japan was on a shichi-go-san Sunday and the children at Meiji Jingu were absolutely adorable. Also, watched on as a Shinto wedding was held. The following explains 7-5-3:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shichi-Go-San
http://www.ginkoya.com/pages/shigosan.html

When you get to Kyoto it should be at peak autumn colors, or very close to it. I would probably plan to go to Ginkaku-ji on the 20th, or afternoon of the 19th.

You could visit Himeji and Kurashiki from a base in Kyoto if you want to minimize hotel changes. But you can leave most of your stuff at your Kyoto hotel and travel extremely lightly for the one night in Kurashiki. Except for that night and the night at Koyasan, you are spending all of your nights in the two big cities. Kurashiki is still city but might be a change of pace.

Or you could spend a nice day/night at a beautiful ryokan in Fuji-Hakone National Park area, or a ryokan in the woods in/near Nikko. The day-tripping from Tokyo has the benefit of not changing hotels but it means you'll be paying for Tokyo hotel nights while spending your days elsewhere.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:23 PM

I agree that you should go to Meiji shrine for 3-5-7 day (shichi-go-san no hi). It's a great chance to see lots of little kids dressed in kimono. If I remember right, 3-5-7 day is on the 15th, but is usually celebrated on the Sunday before or after. There might be some children there on the 15th, and there will be some on the 17th, but the best, busiest day will be on the 18th. Also, given your interests, I would keep Kamakura as a day trip. It has more temples and shrines than Nikko, and is easy to get around in.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:19 AM
emd

Add the markets at Toji temple (21st of the month) and Kitano Shrine (25th of the month) to your Kyoto itinerary. Go to at least one of them, they are great fun, great shopping, great people watching, great food stalls. And find out what temples in Kyoto will be lit up at night while you are there, and go see them at night. You can check that online.

I would not stay in Kurashiki overnight, there's nothing great about night time there unless I am missing something. Also, if you have a chance, try to get to one of the really pretty areas right outside Kyoto like Ohara or Kurama/Kibune, a short half day trip. It's a completely different experience. And go to Fushimi, a few stops southeast of Kyoto station, to walk the Fushimi Inari (fox) shrine (the one w/the thousands of red tori gates) and stroll along the sake warehouses (you can visit some of them). You will also feel like you are outside the city a bit there.

And IMO, you could skip Kamakura as you will see a lot of temples in Kyoto (unless you are trying to find things to do in Tokyo area while you wait for the weekend to go to Meiji shrine).

I'd stay in Hakone overnight in a ryokan. You can send your luggage head by luggage delivery service from Tokyo to Kyoto hotel, and just take an overnight bag to Hakone.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:54 AM
jat
Original Poster

Thank you for all the good suggestions. I have had trouble finding a hotel in Kyoto for November 23, 24, and 25-so far I have found only one. Therefore, I rearranged the schedule to spend a few days before that weekend in Kyoto and a few days after in Kyoto. Do you think I should stay in Kyoto at the no-so-great and expensive hotel (which would minimize hassles of going elsewhere and give me more time to see Kyoto and take day trips from there, when fall foliage should be pretty), or travel somewhere else for those three days? If the latter, one night in Kurashiki and two in Hiroshima? or one night at Koyasan, and then the rest in Kurashiki or Hiroshima (I need to look at a map and train schedule to figure out how that would work)? Other options? I am intrigued by Koyasan, but worried it will be very cold then. Thank you for any advice you might be able to give me.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:50 AM

We visited Koyasan in March this year.It was cold then - we had coats & at times gloves & hat were needed - there was still a bit of snow on the ground.
We stayed at Shojoshin-in - it was very nice (can be booked at japaneseguesthouses.com). In the room we had a big heater, an underheated table (kotatsu) and in the bed (japanese style on floor) a kind of hot water bottle which was very effective! I do feel the cold easily, but it was fine, although we did keep our heater on overnight. In the morning at "prayers" it is very cold in that room & so you need to go well dressed for that and in the larger eating rooms. If you are prepared I think its fine & is a very nice area.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM

You should be able to go from Kyoto, visit Himeji and Kurashiki, and stay in Hiroshima that night. Next day visit the Peace Park and museum in Hiroshima and go over to Miyajima in the afternoon and stay in a ryokan. See Itsukushima Shrine. I would book this toward the end of your trip amd as soon as possible as it should be esp. beautiful at that time of year.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Or day trip to Miyajima, returning to Hiroshima for a second night. There is a Granvia Hotel that is very convenient to the shinkansen tracks at Hiroshima station (with JR Pass discount).