Reload this Page >

Health Precautions

Search

Health Precautions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 08:27 AM
phil

Health Precautions

I am looking to travel to India later this year but I am concerned about the health issues especially taking larium for malaria prevention. In addition Hep A & B, and Typhoid. My friends and family think I'm really crazy to consider a trip like this. <BR>I plan to visit Delhi, Jaipur, Agra, Khajuraho, Varanasi and Kathmandu in Nepal. <BR>Please give me your input, all I've gotten is negative responses back home! <BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 12:55 PM
Michelle

Go!!! Don't listen to the wet blankets!How many people in their lives can say they went to India? What a fascinating country. You seem to be aware of the medical issues; that seems like it would be half the battle right there! My guess is that you'll never regret going but you would always regret not having gone ("If only I'd..."). Go for it!!

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 01:14 PM
Emily

Do you belong to the Kaiser Permanente? They have a great travel service -- you call in and tell them where you're going and then send you information and prescriptions for all the various diseases you might get. <BR> <BR>If you are "medically prepared" for your trip, you will have a much better time. Don't let health issues keep you from going!

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 07:47 PM
sabita

Its not as bad as its made out to be. some advice: <BR> <BR>1. try to restrict yourself to mineral water (water in 3-5star hotels is okay) <BR>2. dont eat too much spice for more than 2-3 continuous meals if your system is not used to it. <BR>3. your preparation by way of various injections should be more than adequate to last out! <BR>4. dont eat roadside food, cos you dont know where the water they are cooked in came from <BR> <BR>general thumb of rule is to try and eat the hot rather than cold foods to minimise chances of infections. <BR> <BR>enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 06:44 PM
Sally

I just got back from 2 fabolous months in India/Nepal and went to most the areas you are going. Prepare yourself for the culture shock, the air pollution, the garbage, the traffic. Once you get over that, (It took me about 10 days) you will be enchanted with the people, the beauty, the color, and spiritual depth. Varanasi is so beautiful. I also loved Udaipur,which is near Jaipur. I probably would not take the larium next time but the anti-biotics that you take everyday. Mainly because it has such a bad rap and I'm thinking the reason I haven't been feeling well has to do with it's side effects. They do make you more sensitive to the sun so you'd have to protect yourself with sunscreen etc. I don't know if you can absolutely prevent illness. I got diahreea three times. Each time anti biotics (cipro) cleared it up. You can buy cipro over the counter much cheaper in India as well as flagel (for gardia). Indian doctors are excellent and there is one on call at most of the best hotels. I did get gardia which was diagnosed when I got back and have taken a course of flagel. I'm still not feeling quite back to myself yet, although all my test have not shown anything wrong. Don't let illness stop you. Use your common sense and don't drink the water. Let me know if I can be of any help? What is it that draws you India?