Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Have you found yourself quoted on other websites?

Dec 8th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

I recently ran across an old post of mine, attributed to someone in Tokyo, but responded to by another poster who refers to the Tokyo poster as "Kathie." It's clear to me that the posts were lifted from the Fodors board and simply given new names to the posters. The plagarist wasn't smart enough to change the names referred to in the post.

The offending website is www.goaround.org/travel-asia As best I can tell most of the posts are lifted from Fodors.
Dec 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM

interesting conundrum this one. How do you stop it?

www.goaround.org/contact.htm
From the site;

'Our mission is to provide high quality free information to web surfers.

Some of the information are shared from internet.if you believe that your work has been reproduced and is accessible on the Site in a way that constitutes copyright infringement,you may notify us by bellow email,and we will remove the article in question immediately.

Our contact email[email protected]
Dec 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM

I have no idea where that stupid smiley face came from. Not my style at all.
Dec 8th, 2008, 07:33 PM

[email protected]
Dec 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Well, there is no question they are reproducing info from other sites (lots of it from here). If it was attributed it wouldn't be so offensive. But I don't believe each of us holds the copyright to our posts on a site like this. (Quick, Dogster, copyright your stories!)

I'm hesitant to email these people, as I'll just end up with lots of spam from them!
Dec 8th, 2008, 08:05 PM

hey, they quoted you using my name, i guess we both need compensation!!

remember, kathie, you are very famous in the asia travel world and thus have to expect to be quoted just like the president whether they use someone elses' name or not...
Dec 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM

This stinks. Unless a poster on Fodor's surrenders copyright to any posted material to Fodor's (their terms should tell us), the poster holds copyright. Kathie, this normally means you can subsequently use your own material in any way you want--in a travel article, for example--but that anyone else using it would either have to attribute it or get permission. And their use of your stuff would be have to be within the terms of fair use policy (e.g., non-commercial)
Fodor's should have a big stake in going after this other site if lots of stuff posted here is appearing there.
Dec 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

I just went back to the site, clicked on a random question and found another of my responses and a follow-up response mentioning my name. I do consider myself to own my writing (and I do write travel articles from time to time), but I have not copyrighted my posts (though the articles I write are sometimes copyrighted).

The website is clearly commercial - it has ads all over the place. It's .org suffix notwithstanding, it is a money-making enterprise.

I think I do need to make some response to the site. I'd be interested in others' perspectives.
Dec 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Yes, I've found my writing from my website posted without my permission before. But more often it's my photos which get snagged and used without my permission which is really kind of irriating. I really don't mind as long as they give me credit and a link back to my site, but a lot of times they don't.
I'm not sure what you can do. I guess it depends on who runs the website, where they are located and what kind of ethics they have.
Dec 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM

I see "Aloha!" at the end of a lot of Japan posts. At lease we know who that is

Aloha!
Dec 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM

OMG, I just looked at the link to that website Kathie. I'm shocked at how much is lifted straight from here.
Perhaps the people at Fodor's should contact them? You might email Katie with the info too.
Dec 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM

I see "Aloha!" at the end of a lot of Japan posts. At lease we know who that is.....I think I feel violated )

Aloha!
Dec 8th, 2008, 09:19 PM

Well, this is very interesting!

If you scroll to the bottom of this page, you'll see that there's a Fodors' copyright claim.

If you scroll to the bottom of the goaround page, there's a Goaround copyright claim. LOL!

I do believe this is something for Katie and the Fodors folks to take up. He who claims copyright first should win.
Dec 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM

I've seen several of my photos being used on other websites as well as posts lifted from the Fodors board. A backhanded compliment I suppose, but a credit would be nice.
Dec 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM

I have experience that my photos have been used quite a lot without permission. One day I started getting hits to my homepage from gayoutdoors.com - turned out that they had written an article about Dubai and they had taken some of my photos to use in the article. At least they were kind enough to link to my Dubai trip report as well ;-)

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Dec 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Kathie says, "I do consider myself to own my writing (and I do write travel articles from time to time), but I have not copyrighted my posts (though the articles I write are sometimes copyrighted)."
My understanding of copyright law, at least in a Canadian context, is that a publisher can assert copyright on an author's behalf without thereby prohibiting the author from further use of the material. E.g., I included articles I had written for academic journals in a subsequent book without seeking permission from the journals' publishers.

This seems to be what Fodor's understands in its statement: "Subscriber hereby grants the Online Service Provider the non-exclusive right without limitation to edit, copy, publish and distribute any material made available on the Online Services by Subscriber." Note you are not granting Fodor's exclusive rights to your material, but presumably they can use it in one of their books if they wish. But Dogster could publish his accounts in book form without consulting Fodor's.

It is normally assumed that copyright resides with the author, except in cases where you sign an agreement with a publisher that limits your future use. You can't have another company publish another identical work.

I used to take steps to copyright things that I wrote, but was advised that wasn't necessary. So, Kathie, you do own the material you write without copywriting it. Fodor's is protecting its subscribers as well as themselves with their policy. They should be dealing with this violation.
Dec 8th, 2008, 10:50 PM

This is very interesting. In a previous life I've had much cause to investigate the safety of my intellectual property and, like WillJame, kinda gave up. The real issue came down to the fact that they could try and steal it all they liked - but, ultimately, they couldn't DO it.

They couldn't write the words, paint the pictures, think the music. So any theft is ultimately doomed anyway. People know.

But with the net, once we put it out there, I think we're fair game. If the music industry can't stop piracy etc. etc. I don't think we have a chance. Maybe Katie and Fodor's can monster them - but they seem pretty well hidden to me.

It's fascinating how 'outraged' this made me, briefly. I feel like our little club has been burgled...
Dec 9th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Like others have said, I wouldn't mind so much if I was given credit, if there was a link back to the originating website, etc. I though about this last night and decided I'm going to contact Katie. I'm still considering whether to contact the thieves directly.
Dec 9th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Lady Egypt (the ground handler for our January trip to Egypt and Jordan) simply lifted our entire blog and made it their "About Jordan" page! I realized it when I started to see hits from Lady Egypt's address.

http://www.ladyegypt.com/about_jordan/about_jordan.html

Dec 9th, 2008, 06:38 AM

I'm getting a user name/password requirement for goaround.org - anybody else?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO