Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hanoi, Vietnam hotels - Help - - Boss Hotel or Grand Gia Boa hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2010, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need Help. Going to Hanoi in late October, need help in deciding which hotel to stay in. Both near same location and appears new. Does anyone have a recommendation to choose between the Boss Hotel and Grand Gia Boa hotel.

Thank you,

Keith
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 01:51 PM

We have looked at both for about the same time period. We have been told that the location of the grand Gia Boa is a bit better. Have you looked at them on trip advisor? Some times that is the deciding factor for us.

When are you going to be in Hanoi? We are there the 1-5. We can let you know.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 08:08 PM

i guess we will be there from the 1-5 of each month?????

the boss meant we will be there from nov 1-5.... tonkin travel discouraged us from the boss hotel....i think they said the location was out of the way...
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM

Hello,

We were in the Gia Bao Grand the last week of June. I believe the Boss Hotel was directly across the street! So they are really the same location on Losu Street. If memory serves me, the Boss actually looked fairly nice from the outside. The Losu street location is quite good, very central and walkable to both the lake and Old Quarter (and the French Quarter is just a few blocks south - Opera House, Metropole Hotel, etc.)

We were sold the Gia Bao Grand on Tonkin's recommendation. We would have really preferred to have stayed at one of the Hotel Elegance's. The Gia Bao Grand is supposedly new, however we found it to be quite worn. (Note, there is also a Gia Bao further down the road, same outfit!) The breakfast buffet was the poorest we've had in all of our travels of Southeast Asia. I would rate the Gia Bao Grand a high 2 Star to low 3 star. Note: Staff was very friendly & spoke good English.

While we weren't very fond of our Hanoi accommodations, Tonkin Travel did a lovely job with the remainder of our 21 day itinerary.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM

david...tell us about your trip.... were we able to help you with the planning? what else did you see, etc? any other hotel tips?
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM

Hi rhkkmk,
Yes, most definitely, this and the Thailand Board have been very helpful. I've been a reader of these boards for years, especially the Thailand one. My partner and I made our 1st trip to Bangkok in 1996, and have become addicts of Thailand and South East Asia. We get over that way at least once a year. Our trips usually always begin and/or end in Bangkok. With the political issues going on this past Spring, we decided to bypass Thailand, and spent our entire 3 week vacation in Vietnam. I think I'll put together a little trip report in the coming days...
I always enjoy reading others, maybe it's time I share too. Stay tuned!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

KMKRNN - we will not be there until early November. So any info between now and then on the two hotels would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Keith
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM

watch for our trip report which i shall do from the road starting about nov 1