Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hang out at Delhi airport or the Imperial in early am?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive into Delhi airport(International flight) at 2 am and, in the interests of saving time and money, we'd like to just freshen up and eat breakfast before we head out sightseeing. I have tentatively booked 1 night at the Imperial (good rate for mid-March)but we obviously can't check in till much later. So should we go to the Imperial that early (? 4am) and hang around the lobby till their restaurant opens, or should we find somewhere to eat at the airport or...any other suggestions?
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM

You definitely do not want to hang out at the airport - it is quite the dump. After your long flight from Vancouver, you will not be happy hanging out in the lobby of the Imperial either. Why not pay for an extra night at the Imperial - you will appreciate being able to get some sleep and take a shower. After the long flight you WILL be jet-lagged and no matter how expensive it is, it will be worth it to get your vacation off to a good start, especially since you will only be there for a week.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 01:14 PM

You pretty much have to leave the airport after you've cleared customs and picked up your luggage. There isn't anything in the arrivals area to speak of.

E-mail the hotel to see if they will allow an early check-in without penalty. If they allow it, bring a copy of the e-mail with you.

Have you arranged transportation with the hotel to pick you up from the airport yet?
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM

As noted above, there is literally nothing AT the airport, it is quite unlike any other airport you may have been to, no restaurants, newsstand, shops or even a waiting area (other than some sofas for people waiting for the bus service to go to the domestic airport terminal). There are some money changers, an ATM and some pre-paid taxi kiosks and a place to get some tea and buns (no tables or chairs). Even the business class “lounges” inside the departure area are just glorified waiting areas without showers or any real facilities like work desks, and because of the renovation of the airport, some of those even less than the used to be. So, I would definitely not make any plan to stay at the airport.

I am not totally sure any of the restaurants at the hotel will be open, although their coffee shop probably will be (and perhaps the bar). I kind of doubt that the hotel will let you check in early, you would need to confirm that now I would think and have it in writing with you. If they say no, you might ask about being charged a “half day” rate if you check in at 3:30 am or later.

Another thing to consider if you can’t get a half day rate or early check-in is booking the very first spa treatment at the spa at the Imperial and using that as the opportunity to take a shower and change. They may open at 8 am or even earlier. Get a massage (probably well-needed) then a steam and a shower to revive and refresh. Or take a yoga class or whatever else you can do as a non-guest and then use the showers.

I would also recommend having a car service (Imperial or other) meet you at the airport when you arrive. You will be arriving late in the night, to a strange country and airport, and you will be a target for touts wanting to carry your luggage, etc (perfectly safe just tiresome after a while….) It is IMO so worth the small extra expense to have someone waiting to take care of you and your luggage. If not, then use the pre-paid taxi counter at the airport, look for it after you have come through Immigration and baggage claim and are walking out through the arrival hall towards the door, their kiosk are on the right. They will call out to you, don't worry. You can usually pay by credit card for the taxi. You really don’t want to go out and wait in the regular taxi queue.

The good news is that you won’t have any traffic at that hour. I don’t know that any of the floodlights will still be lighting the state monuments and buildings at that hour, but if you have a hotel car or even a taxi, it might be worth asking him to drive to the India Gate and then up Raj Path past the Secretariat Buildings to the president’s house and back to see them lit up. This would also kill a little time. These are all quite close to the hotel and you can walk the route at some point.

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:03 PM

msmango: just do what Cicerone says. lol. You'll soon see why.

What's your opinion on the Imperial Cicerone? I'm there for a few days in April. Bloody expensive, eh? Lordy. Any tips?

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM

I first stayed at the Imperial in 1992 and it was pretty rundown but completely charming. Chintz bedspreads and creaking wooden floors, pedestal sinks (before they were fashionable, these were the originals from the 1930’s I think). Roach bombs in the coffee shop. But that big lawn you where you could sit out under the palms, drink tea and read all afternoon in sagging chairs. I have an architect friend who says the exterior has “all the charm of a veterans hospital”, I don’t think he is actually far wrong; they try to refer to it as art deco, but I don’t think it really is, however the interior is quite nice. Their initial major redo a few years ago really knocked my socks off, in both a good and a bad way. I feel very much the same way about the Raffles in Singapore which is not even a ghost of its former self, at least the Imperial you can still recognize, and they keep on adding stuff (like the spa). And then they keep increasing their prices. But overall, I like it a lot, love the location, love the history, still love the lawns and the palms lining the drive. You can walk to many things in either direction so for a tourist, this may be the best location in Delhi. It truly is a “boutique” hotel in that it is the only one of its kind in the world. I think their prices have come down a good bit, and will come down even more this year.

For tips, I think that the rooms on the ground floor in the back on the pool side may be the best and quietest actually. Views are not much, but the rooms are quiet, and no rooms really have good views, many are interior courtyard views (if you want views go to the Oberoi). IMO this is one of the few hotels where I don’t like the suites that much, I don’t know if it is the size or that there isn’t enough furniture or art work on the walls, but there is just something that makes them seem spare and not really luxurious, so I don’t think they are worth the money (it may be the really high ceilings which this hotel has generally). Just their regular lowest category rooms really seem quite fine actually. But I would say to try for one at the back of the hotel, not overlooking the driveway definitely. And for some reason I think that the ground floor is quieter in this hotel. (That is my impression from staying at several locations within the hotel, hopefully there is nothing under construction next door currently that would change this.) Also to pay all that money to have an interior courtyard view is sort of a waste to me, but between that and a driveway room I would take the courtyard room.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:12 AM

I would not, under any circumstances, hang out at the airport though. Ask the Imperial for a 1/2 day rate or try asking them to throw in the airport transfer and breakfast to give you more value.

Cicerone- Are their prices coming down? My last stay was at about $500 for the cheapest room in october 07.

I just loved the Imperial on all my earlier visits. Loved the rooms (though I prefer the second floor) and loved the location. You can walk to all sorts of interesting spots, and rickshaw drivers all know exactly where it is. The grounds and the (old?) pool were lovely, and the front door people always remember me from the previous trips and are truly welcoming.

Last time I was there -- with my husband along-- I decided it was my last. Lobby too crowded, front desk staff were too full of themselves, and the promised spa was still in the permitting stage. The buffets, which I loved, was about 1/2 the former size, the number of waiters seriously cut back, and the restaurants all seemed to have doubled their prices. I left with the feeling that we'd been taken to the cleaners.

Last June, I stayed at the oberoi instead. Not nearly as convenient, and both taxis and rickshaws had trouble finding it. Room was wonderful and view fantastic. The fitness center was terrific, pool nice (but kind of "exposed&quot, food great. Lots of "suits", nad the staff definitely catered to them over us tourist types.

While in Delhi, I figured we'd go to Spiceroute at the Imperial, and that wasn't a great experience.

So, not sure where I would stay the next time!

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:51 AM

Thank you so much, both of you. So helpful. I've grabbed a room for 10,000 rs. I've also stayed at the Oberoi but it's too far outta town for me and, like lcuy, I just didn't care for the subtly second rate service from the front desk 'cos I wasn't in a suit.

I really chose the Imperial on location - and, of course, reputation. Sounds like a fine choice... as much as any of us REALLY have a choice in India. Thank you again.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:51 AM

Well, looking at their website and dates for next week, which is a slightly higher season than October, (but of course is post-Mumbai events and the start of the recession), their lowest category rooms are US$270, which includes breakfast and a 30% discount on airport transfers. And I have paid rates close to what you have paid in previous years, mostly also in 2007 (which we will all look back on as part of the good years I would say). So, yes I would say that their rates have come down.

I agree that the Oberoi is a good choice as well.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 03:10 AM

For what it is worth do take Cicerones advice about not staying or trying to linger at the airport , book a hotel pickup and just pay for another nights accomodation .It is / will be a false economy to not do so .

If all the talk of the relative charms or otherwise of The Imperial has made you wonder if it is worth it then consider The Claridges Hotel . We stayed there in December 07 and it was lovely .Old 30's place , refurbished and we got a lovely large room with terrace on the first floor .Staff nice and service / food good .Also in the lovely Embassy district near The Imperial but a lot cheaper .
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 04:42 AM

As someone who hung out way too long in the lobby of the Imperial at 2 in the morning, waiting for the reserved room that failed to materialize, I can assure you that nothing is open. It's like a big tomb. And they don't let you sleep on the couches...
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:01 AM

Definately book the room for the night beofre its worth it after such a long trip. the airport is kinda a kip and nothing there as the others mentioned. I ALWAYS book a car from the hotel to pick me up as its less hassle and they will do everything and take you and your bags to an air conditioned car. I am always in a heap arriving at 2am and that is from Ireland...much worse i feel from your distance!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Wow, the rates have come down! At 10,000 rs, I would be happy at the Imperial.

It's always the value, not the actual price, isn't it?

Have fun dogster, and say Hi to Vikran for me. he's a waiter at Breakfast in the cafe and a pool guy later in the day. He should remember me- I took a photo of him with my Eurasian looking daughter on one trip.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I will try to get an extra night or half-day rate at the Imperial. I picked the Imperial mostly for its location. I am a little worried, though, because I've read that some people have had trouble with the hotel honouring their reservation, if some "government delegation has stayed longer than expected." Hope that doesn't happen to us!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Don't worry, ms.mango. Given how much the Imperial has dropped its rates, I suspect they're not running full- to-the- brim these days. Even if they boot you they don't leave you on the street but take you somewhere. Try to negotiate a good deal with them for the early check-in, don't just take their first offer.