H1N1 virus (swine flu) warning

Jul 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

H1N1 virus (swine flu) warning

After working hard to find suitable accommodation in Japan for October/November time frame, and after having all details worked out we were looking forward to our first trip there. Imagine my surprise getting this email from Oakwood Apartments Shinjuku:

"... We are contacting you today to inform you that due to the ongoing threat of the H1N1 virus and possible implications to health and safety, we have been instructed by the local governance that we are no longer able to accept existing or future reservations of less than 30 nights in duration.
Situation being such, we regret to inform you that we will not be able to honor your reservation. ..."

I'm beginning to think that they had enough inquires for 30+ day stays and are using H1N1 as convenient excuse. Anyone with similar experience?
Jul 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM

its another case of governments over reacting to a POSSIBLE problem down the road...

plenty of other places to stay and you have time....how about asking them to find you another place
Jul 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Oct and Nov is the start of the flu season in the N Hemisphere so I'm not surprised. I know you are disappointed but rhkkmk gives good advice about asking Oakwood if they would find you a place. I am answering from my iphone but when I get to my home computer I'll list some other sites to use

Aloha!
Jul 16th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

They did offer to find another place, but it was for studio (vs. 1 bedroom) at Citadines. There is nothing to say that Citadines or other potential choices will not cancel citing same "local governance".
No word so far from places in Kyoto and Osaka where we also made reservations.
Jul 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Don't think they would try to deceive you in any way. That is not the Japanese way of doing business, especially dealing with tourists.....

A couple of places you might want to check

http://www.tokyoapartment81.com/

http://www.tokyoapartments.jp/

http://www.tokyo-living.com/

Good luck!

Aloha!
Jul 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Citidines is a French company. Although I've not stayed at their hotel in Japan, I have stayed several time in their hotel in Barcelona. It's always very well run, clean, centrally located.