Reload this Page >

Guide in Xi"an

Search

Guide in Xi"an

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Audrey

Guide in Xi"an

Would appreciate hearing of the experiences of others with guides to the Terracotta soldiers. Will be staying at the Hyatt. Do they have names of guides or does one go through a travel agent? Is a guide necessary? Has anyone gone with Clarence, who has posted to this forum? We will be leaving soon so all advice is welcome.

Old May 13th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Andrea

There are many ways to find a tour guide to the Terracotta soldiers. <BR> <BR>The way I would recommend you do it (this would also be the least expensive) would be to book just a car and driver at your hotel, and then hire a tour guide once you get to the site. <BR> <BR>Regardless of how you decide to book your car, be sure to decide ahead of time whether or not you want to be taken to extra stops along the way (porcelain factory, etc.). These can be fun, but they can also be annoying. The prices will generally be higher there than they will be at the market that is just outside the warriors site. <BR> <BR>Once you get to the site, there will be people there offering to be your guide to the site. Spend some time talking to them first to see how good their english is and how well you can understand their accent. I'm not sure what the going rate is, but if I were to go, I wouldn't pay more than US $12 (RMB 100), and I would try to do it for half that. Remember that when bargaining, when they name their price, you need to reel in shock (even if they only said US $5), then when you get close, say "Sorry, too expensive" and walk away. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR> <BR>P.S. Don't forget to look in the bookstore for the man signing books - it's the farmer that originally found the warriors! <BR> <BR>P.P.S. Start with the 360 degree movie - fun & interesting and good for setting the scene (only lasts 15 minutes or so & tells the story of the soldiers and their discovery)

Old May 13th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Cara

Audrey - We had the valets at the Hyatt help us negotiate a private driver for our visit to see the Warriors. Unfortunately our driver turned out to be a maniac. He drove on the wrong side of the road and nearly ran people off the road. At one point an old man had to dive onto the sidewalk while crossing the street to avoid our taxi hitting him. While I'm normally very calm in the car, I even was panicked on this ride through the city. Apparently the taxi driver was trying to impress us with his driving skills, as well as get us there and back in a quick manner so as to get another fare for the afternoon. So while I agree that the private driver is the best way to go, be sure to ask the valets to try and get you a save driver for the journey.

Old May 13th, 2001, 11:57 PM
clarence

Yes,there are many ways to find a tour guide to the Terracotta soldiers. But who's the best? <BR> <BR>Can you tell me why the terra-cotta warriors were discovered in 1974 by six local peasants,but there are many tombs,rob holes and a well find on the site that indicate that the warriors were found many many years ago for many many times. <BR> <BR>The warriors were burnt by some reason since we find so many black charcoal over the warriors.a movie in the museum tells you that a peasant uprising open the pits and set fire there 3 years late after it covered up .Can you do that when the strong wooden ceiling beried 5 M under ground without air inside? <BR> <BR>Why almost all the warriors have two different colours:reddish head and chest,dark blue legs <BR> <BR> <BR>Pit No 1 and 2 is a wild goose battle formation,how did they help each other at that time? <BR> <BR>Pit No 2 is so called four animal's battle formation,what are they? <BR> <BR>What's the differce between horses for chariots and cavalry? <BR> <BR>Pit No 3 is the army headquarters,how did they control the pit 1 and pit 2? <BR> <BR>why the head of the warriors in pit No 3 is different from pit No 1 and 2? <BR> <BR>Stop now,I bet,someone will feel sad to go there without me. <BR> <BR>Checklt;http://www.time.com/time/asia/travel...index.html&gt; <BR> about my tour to the cave dwelling village. <BR> <BR>My webpage: http://www.taxitour.com

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:02 AM
clarence

Yes,there are many ways to find a tour guide to the Terracotta soldiers. But who's the best? <BR> <BR>Can you tell me why the terra-cotta warriors were discovered in 1974 by six local peasants,but there are many tombs,rob holes and a well find on the site that indicate that the warriors were found many many years ago for many many times. <BR> <BR>The warriors were burnt by some reason since we find so many black charcoal over the warriors.a movie in the museum tells you that a peasant uprising open the pits and set fire there 3 years late after it covered up .Can you do that when the strong wooden ceiling beried 5 M under ground without air inside? <BR> <BR>Why almost all the warriors have two different colours:reddish head and chest,dark blue legs <BR> <BR> <BR>Pit No 1 and 2 is a wild goose battle formation,how did they help each other at that time? <BR> <BR>Pit No 2 is so called four animal's battle formation,what are they? <BR> <BR>What's the differce between horses for chariots and cavalry? <BR> <BR>Pit No 3 is the army headquarters,how did they control the pit 1 and pit 2? <BR> <BR>why the head of the warriors in pit No 3 is different from pit No 1 and 2? <BR> <BR>Stop now,I bet,someone will feel sad to go there without me. <BR> <BR>Check:http://www.time.com/time/asia/travel...131/index.html <BR> about my tour to the cave dwelling village. <BR> <BR>My webpage: http://www.taxitour.com

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Sarah

Audren, <BR>Yes, I used Clarence's servies and highly recommend him. He picked us up at the airport, took us to the Hyatt and spend an entire day with us. If you have any questions or would like more informatin, please feel free to email me.

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Sarah

Audrey, pardon my typo in your name!

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:28 PM
cheapskate

I just checked out Clarence's website and is it only me or does he charge double that of everywhere else? <BR>Are Xian guides more expensive because of it's popularity?

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:05 AM
Audrey

I agree!! I thought his prices were outrageous. I would appreciate hearing what others have done and their advice.