Guide in Angkor - How much?

Jul 29th, 2005, 05:59 AM
SuY
Original Poster

Guide in Angkor - How much?

Have contacted a guide that has been recommended on ths board and was told the rate is $45 per day for the guide and driver and an additional $10 if we were to go to Banteay Srey. Is this the regular rate?

Also, have been reading about donating school supplies while in REP. I understand that there is a school on the way to the lake but it seems that's a school that has the most traffic. Any other ideas of where we can donate supples that is less trafficked?
Jul 29th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Yes, that's a pretty standard rate.
Jul 29th, 2005, 06:51 AM

traffic??----do you mean car traffic?? if so that is not an issue around siem reap....

that is a good rate....i paid $20 each for the driver and the guide---2 people...and going way outside town is always extra...
Jul 30th, 2005, 06:24 AM

I paid $50 per day for a guide & driver which in cluded use of the car & driver pretty much when I wanted it -not just for the temple visits. I think I paid $10 extra for the trip to Banteay Sreay (well worth the effort!) and $25 for a half day.

I visited the school I think you are refering to, which is on the way to Tonle Sap lake. The school is on a floating platform on the edge of the causeway (the day I visited it had broken away from its moorings and was being toed back to the bank - by the school children! The traffic from the boat dock on Tonle Sap passes bybthis school but there really isn't much (it's a dirt track) and few are tourists.

This school was very short of equipment and will be really grateful for any supplies you can give, as will any any school in Cambodia (why not keep some supplies back and just go in to any school you see on your travels - they will be delighted to see you. Incidentally, this is a great idea! SO much better than direct hand outs to beggars no matter how deserving they are or may seem (and you will see a lot).
Aug 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM
SuY
Original Poster

Thanks much for the response on the rates.

Apologies for the non-clear message. I meant traffic from the standpoint that a lot of toursits go to that school by the lake and donate supplies. Wanted to see if there was any other schools that may be less visited and would need the supplies more.