Guenmai's GTG/Part 2

Search

Guenmai's GTG/Part 2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guenmai's GTG/Part 2

Now that it's the beginning of the new year and I'm back from a VERY well-needed vacation, I can resume the plans for the May 2007 GTG.

Several of you had stated, in my Guenmai's GTG/Part1, thread that it was too early for you to make a definite commitment which was totally understandable. Therefore, I have held off, in order to give you time to figure out your personal schedules, before starting this new thread.

Second, I need your e-mail addresses. I have a few of them. Bob has recently sent a few to me, but some of your e-mail addresses he no longer has. Plus, his computer has crashed, so he recently e-mailed me from a public computer. If you could post your e-mail addresses and SOON, it would be of great help as GTG information will be sent by e-mail. If you don't want to post it, then maybe you could work out something with Bob and send it to him and then it could be forwarded to me.

I have the following people's e-mail addresses...Kuranosuke, Hawaiaantraveler, Simpson510, Bill, and Kathie and Laurieco(from last year), and of course those who posted to me on the forum under my Guenmai's GTG/Part1 thread.

Third,there's been a question of what hotels there are to"choose" from and if a rental car is necessary. As for hotels, I posted under my Guenmai's GTG/Part1 thread a Pasadena website that can answer many questions. There are a LOT of hotels to choose from as Pasadena it's home to the Rose Parade. The city isn't that big....about 20 minutes, by car, from one end to the other...so any of them will be suitable as far as distance is concerned.

As for a rental car, L.A.County is 500 square miles big, so a rental car is necessary unless one doesn't mind dealing with the massive public transportation system. Plus, it depends on what one plans to do and/or where one plans to go while here. That's an individula decision.

Regarding the layout of L.A.County, I suggest contacting your local AAA and having them send you out maps of both the L.A.freeway system and maps of greater L.A. Pasadena will be on the greater L.A. map. Also mapquest.com and mappy.com can be of assistance.Pasadena has an AAA office, but closed on Sat/Sun.

And last, but not least, regarding the location of the GTG. As I wrote in my Guenmai's GTG/Part 1 thread, that information will NOT be posted on the forum. When I get your e-mail addresses, I can then send you a "group" e-mail with that and other relevant information. The sooner the e-mail addresses, the sooner the information.

So, for now, let's first lock in the date and not put the carriage before the horse...as the saying goes. As of now, the definites are Bob and Karen(Mass), Simpson 510(Illinois),and Hawaiiantraveler and the Mrs, Kuranosuke(Hawaii). Waiting to hear from the rest of you. Happy Travels!

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Please excuse the above typos...I'm typing VERY fast. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Guen,

The two of us are definitely still in! Looking forward to it.

Would prefer not to post my email, so if you could let us either know Bob's email or how to get ours to him, that'd be much appreciated!

Can't wait to meet all of you in the coming months!

Best,
Bill
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Hi Guen,
I'm at Femi1 at msn dot com.
Thanks for going through all the trouble to arrange this!
Femi
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM

[email protected] for Andy. I'm a definite maybe.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:18 PM

anyone can send me their addresses and i will forward them to guen:

[email protected]

bob

we are in and have our plane and hotel res at the courtyard...

i think we will be at the courtyard on may 3...looking forward to the walk about 'a la guen'....i hope none of her old boyfriends are hanging about however: howard hughes, ronald regan, mr nixon, gary grant, lassie or arnold....all california men....
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Bob...Get some Democrats in there...maybe..uh...Lassie? Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

If you send your e-mail address to Bob to forward to me...PLEASE remember to include your screen name. Someone has just sent an e-mail address to Bob and I have no idea who you are. Plus, I need to know if you're a person who is on the first list I did or a possible waiting list person. Thanks. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

OK, Bill I just figured it out. I didn't notice the "Bill" at the bottom of your post. I just memorize screen names. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Hi!
Just sent my email to Bob in case you don't already have it.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Guen- I'm a pretty definite maybe...Daughter graduates May 6 up in Portland, so it depends 1) If she chooses to walk in the ceremony, and 2) what the schedule up there looks like.

At the moment, she's leaning toward not participating, so I'll be in Pasadena!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Guen - you have my email address from Bob. Note I am BillT (screen name) - not to be confused with the other Bill listed above. We are coming and that has been conveyed to you via Bob I believe.
We are not inclinded to rent a car- so we are interested in knowing where the restaurant will be in relation to the hotel. We will lock down our flights as soon as you lock down the dates. We have a reservation at the Courtyard currently.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:32 PM

You have my email, Guenmai. We have reservations at the Marriott. We'l likely just take a taxi to and from the airport. We'll be watching for good airfares.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Kathie,

Saw this recently

http://digbig.com/4qrxg

Aloha!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM

fyi: the price for my flight was $100 more than on american
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:24 AM

I'm watching prices on UA but have not purchased yet. Prices from PIA or MLI to LAX are running around $340 right now. From ORD to LAX is cheaper, but requires a 3-hour drive to ORD. Hoping for a price reduction!!
Carol
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:43 AM

After posting that I was watching airfares, I checked United and they have a sale going (as HT notes) and we bought our tickets. So we're ready to go!

The weather in Seattle has been very strange. It's been in the 20s for over a week and it's snowing like mad today. I ready to move to Bangkok!
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 03:12 PM

For all you Fodorites I look forward to meeting in Pasadena - someone help with a reaonable way from the airport to Pasadena Maybe a taxi is reasonsable - I just don't want to rent a car.

Thanks and see you there.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM

guen posted something about public transportation....she will be sending out more info shortly...i will ask her to include public trans....

bob
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

OK...there are 20-plus folks who have confirmed so the date will now be locked in for May 05th. I will send out a "group" e-mail by the end of next week.
As for transportation to Pasadena from the airport, which airport are you talking about? We have several. If it's LAX, then take the either the Supershuttle-blue van or Prime Time-brown van to Pasadena. It should be around $35.00. When you exit LAX just look for the orange/shared-ride sign and stand under it. It's very easy to spot. There are sometimes representatives from both companies there under the sign. A reservation can be made in advance, however I have never made one and I take the van home almost all of the time. Just wait until the van that says Pasadena on the front of it comes around and flag it down. It'll drive you directly to wherever you're going. Happy Travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -