Guenmai in Bangkok Dec 2005/Jan 2006

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So folks I made it. It wasn't easy. About 4 weeks ago I twisted my knee really badly and have been in a lot of pain. I was doing quite well 3 days before departure and then accidentally retwisted it again the day before departure. So, that put me back to the beginning with the knee and when my mom picked me up to drive me to the airport she commented that she thought I should cancel my trip. Now my mom knows me too well to even suggest such. She knows that if I have to bite a bullet, which I've almost had to do, then I'll just bite it and go on with my life. Smiles.

So, I arrived to the new Bangkok airport in style...by wheelchair. I was the last person off the plane. They sent a hydrolic lift for me so I wouldn't have to walk down the stairs. So I got on the lift, was told to hold onto the rail with both hands, and down I went...smiling and waving to the folks below...well a little Hollywood never hurts. It's taken a lot of humor to get me through the pain. The workers were just laughing. Then I limped into the building and sat for about 3 minutes and a wheelchair was sent over along with this tiny little guy that looked like Popeye before the spinach. Bless his heart...he didn't look strong enough to wheel Barbie, not less me, my carry-on suitcase(on my lap)and a carry-on bag,too.

We went up an elevator and then through the Fast Track line and to baggage claim. My baggage was already twirling down the belt. As soon as we walked over to the area, I noticed my suitcases and said to him,"It's that one... the red one...grab it!" He went scrambling for it and then I yelled,"Oh, and the big one next to it...grab it". The poor thing looked so stressed out. He could barely lift the little 23-inch one which wasn't even heavy. Then he stood there with me in the wheelchair, and two suitcases on the floor and a puzzled look on his face.

He then was trying to figure out how he was going to wheel me and pull two suitcases. So, he pulled up the two suitcase handles and tried pulling them while pushing me, but nothing was moving. So, I got out of the wheelchair and told him to push the luggage cart...now with three suitcases on it...two 23-inch carry-on sized ones and one 25/26-inch one that wasn't even heavy. I plan to fill that one on the way home. One of the small ones was filled only with stuff I use at the apartment and the other 23-inch one was filled with all of the clothing I need for 3 weeks in case the big one got lost or stolen.

So, he couldn't figure out how he was to get me and the luggage out of the baggage claim area, so I got up out of the wheelchair and told him to push the luggage cart while I pushed the wheelchair. As I was pushing the wheelchair, I noticed that it was a little hard to push. Well, he had left one brake on and then without warning me, released the brake. Off I went flying...out of control...and hollering like a mad woman due to the knee pain which was beyond belief. Now, I've heard that childbith is painful, but I can't imagine it being anymore painful than that moment with my knee.I was hollering as if I were delivering triplets!

By the time he and I got past the checkpoint area, I was in such pain until there was no way that I would make it down to the lower level to get a taxi so I went to the limo counter that's right there, in your face, when you get out of the customs area. It was supposed to be 1200 baht into town. I argued and then it was 900 baht.

The driver came right away and was great. He told me that his mom worked in Los Angeles for 10 years and had a green card. She was a housekeeper and nanny to a family that owned a furniture company. He said that she's very old now(67) and she has pain in her joints. He also said that he's always dreamed of visiting Los Angeles, but now that he's 47, he's too old. I then told him that I'm a few years older than he is. He turned around and looked at me...while driving out the expressway... and said," But, you look young". I said,"Thanks...keep an eye on the road!". He just laughed and then went on to tell me his life story. A real nice guy. When we got to my apartment building, I couldn't get out of the car. I was stuck because of the knee situation. So out ran the guys from the apartment building to assist. I went out feet first. If they had toe-tagged me I'd have looked as if I'd left this world. The receptionists stood behind the counter, peeping out the window and waving back to me as I was being pulled out of the car. The driver then came around and gave me a big wai and took my hand very gently and then gave me the number of the limo company and told me that if I ever needed a driver to call.He then gave me another wai and took off.

So, I don't know how much I'll get done this trip, but yesterday I did get to my dressmaker...across town... to start working on my clothing for my GTG. I then had the taxi driver take me to the saladang skytrain station and I went into the Thaniya Plaza to check on something and then walked to Jim Thompson on Suriwong...painful...and then back to the skytrain station and home. I was too physically tired to do anymore.

Then today, I actually went to Central Chitlom,Amarin Plaza,Erawan tearoom,and Gaysorn and then took the skytrain back to Emporium Mall where I've been sitting at the internet cafe...for two hours now. I had a lot of e-mailing to do. So, tomorrow I'll go for my first fitting with my dressmaker and see how much physical energy is left before planning the rest of the day. I have a feeling that I'll end up at Bumrungrad
for an appointment at some point within these three weeks. Well, got to go. Take it easy folks and have a great holiday season. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Sounds like the only way to go is up from here, Guen. At least you've been able to accomplish a few things. Hope the knee gets better soon.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:45 AM

guenmai
Sounds like you need a good Thai foot massage. Do you remember my tale of my very first day in BKK ever. I managed to sprain my ankle on the uneven pavement and was in pain. I was determined to do my sightseeing, and a friend suggested a Thai food massage. I went to Wat Pho and came out dancing!!! Amazing!!! Give it some thought...

Have a wonderful time. Sounds like you are off and running, even though you have a (small) problem, sigh.

Carol
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:46 AM

i am laughing so hard....did they do the toe tag correctly....we don't want that bag sent to africa instead of the usa....but i suppose you would pop up and tell them what to do if they were shipping you to the wrong place...

you always arrive like a queen, its just this time you needed a lift to accomodate you....sort of like queen victoria...or is it queen letiva??

go to bum. hospital and have them check you out....you might just need some pain relievers or something or maybe a brain transplant...

merry christmas and happy new year and keep the report coming

bob and karen

see you in LA

is the date still the may date by the way??
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Guenmai, I'm glad you are safely in Bangkok. Your knee sounds very painful! It's a good thing you've registered ahead at Bumrungrad! Take care of yourself.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Guen,

Great post....haven't laughed so hard reading a post in a long time. Hope your knee gets better soon. Keep us informed!

Aloha!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM

i have just posted a solid gold toe tag with jade decoration to you in care of the emporium so don't die for a day or two until it arrives....its post paid to your mother's address...
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Guenmai-hope your knee heals quickly. Of course, this may reduce the number of your ever-amusing stories. I loved the airport saga. I can see it in my mind's eye.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Goodness Gracious, Guenmai! Sounds like a painfully wild time there!

So hows the weather...Hot, hotter or Hell Hot?

...and you're having more outfits made for the GTG? I loved your Boston ones!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:25 PM

"a girl never has too many>>>"
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:45 PM

God, after reading your report...I am leaving for Goa and Vietnam/HKG next week and bout 10 days ago i did something to my knee..Yikes...Funny thing, i went to a fortune teller and she told me i was going to injure my left knee b4 Christmas!!

Anyhow...i had xrays, and have found i have liquid in my knee, combine with mild arthritis and torn cartilidge (sp?)...I have been taking anti inflammatories and the swelling has come down a little...

I am so hoping i am on the road to recovery and that i will be able to walk around....So it is nice to see that u carried on with your trip, as i intend to as well.

I hope u still have a great time and u have given me the incentive to carry on with my trip..

I have to say this is the worst pain i have had in my life....

So anyhow...have a Merry Christmas and good luck.

Tracy
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks for the well wishes and you folks are one,big,sick cookie....maybe we can get a group rate for therapy.Smiles. I just finished reading your posts and am laughing hysterically.
Bob, now you know I wouldn't let them do the toe tag incorrectly. If they were to even try, I'd sent my ghost back after them! Oh,and thanks for the solid gold and jade toe tag...hope it's 18 carat and Burmese jade. Just got to go out in style! I went to SJ yesterday and they have to make me a pair of matching earrings and a bracelet to match my pendant. Someone had the audacity to buy MY earrings....just like with my monk statues back in August,remember? So, the designer has been called in to whip me up a pair and by Friday. They said they'll deliver them to me at the apartment and send the credit card machine with the delivery person so that I can make the payment at my convenience. A close friend, who regularly vacations in Brazil, sent some Brazilian stones by me to have them transformed into earrings. She says that she trusts my judgement. I've been buying jewelry in Bangkok for her for years and there's not anything that she hasn't liked. So I met with the designer at SJ and we went over some sketeches. Her earrings are going to be beauties.
Oh, and Bob...yes the GTG date is still May 5th, but remember we'll finalize it in February since many folks commented that it's too far in advance to know for sure if they can come.
Carol...I will probably try the Thai massage. There's a Clarins spa right here in my apartment building.
Lucy...The weather is absolutely beautiful. It's cool and a bit windy. I have barely broken a sweat. It's definitely cooler here than it was in L.A. when I left.
So folks, today I went for my first fitting and was absolutely blown away. Remember I bought my fabric down in the garment distric in downtown L.A. before I left home. I'm one to bring my own fabric with me. So, it'll take until the 29th of this month and then all the clothes will be ready...including the matching handbag. I told Da to take the leftover fabric and whip me up a matching handbag, so we did some sketches. Fabulous. So, I'm just having myself a ball even with the pain. It was much better today though. I'm going to have fun no matter what. It's all about the SANUK! So, I'd better end for now. It's over an hour of e-mailing,etc...Take care. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Good job, Guenmai! Personally, I believe the pain-relieving qualities of jewelry shopping have been vastly underrated. With your new earrings and bracelet you'll be floating on air!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 09:52 AM

knock off all this talk about clothes for the GTG or i will find myself paying american prices for something new for karen!!!

my jeweler said 18K would not be appropriate for you , that instead it should be either 22 or 24K so i left it to her....the jade is not burmese but a far more rare and valuable piece from krypton....
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

KATHIE...Yes, sapphires do help to ease the pain. When I get my AmExp statement though, the pain will come back. So, I'd better go back into Boots and get some more ointment for my knee. Smiles.

BOB... And I hope Karen demands a new outfit. I say...demand on...ladies...ease those dead presidents out of your husbands' pockets where they've been resting for far too long! Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 02:00 AM

The only dead president in Bob's possession is George Washington. Also, for the record, I note that Benjamin Franklin (the founder of my alma mater)is not a dead president.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:12 PM

Guenmai - are you using Hirudoid cream for your knee - we find it really good for that sort of thing and kicks by cows etc!!!! You can get a "forte" tube for about 240bt at any chemist and the ordinary strength for less. Slather it on a couple of times a day and it will take some of the swelling down quickly. We always stock up for home because its so much cheaper in Bkk.

Lucky you are such a persistent person and can make so much fun out of bad things - hope it continues to go well and the leg gets better quickly.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Gpanda...I needed my laugh for the day.

Mary...Thanks a million for the info. I can't remember what I bought. I only remember that it was by Squibb. The pharmacist recommended it. Since I'm in Emporium right now, I'll go down to Boots and ask about that ointment. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:38 AM

guenmai
So good to hear that you are on the mend. Shopping works wonders! lol

Your weather sounds lovely. We've had temps in the 40's with no chance of snow. Denver is finally digging out after a huge showfall.

Enjoy your time in BKK. Will you be making any side trips this time?

Carol
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Carol. I'll post more tomorrow. I'm running out of computer time. Happy Travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -