Great Wall China tour

Search

Great Wall China tour

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Wall China tour

I will be in Beijing on October 5th of this year and I am looking for a one day tour that will take me to the Great Wall. I have found, on line a tour from a company called Chinavtour.com. Has anyone had experience with this company or can anyone suggest another tour with which you have had success?
Thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Most tours will last 6-8 hours with about 2 of those on the Wall. If you want to avoid the jade factories and shops and tombs and other stuff, and just do the wall, you can do it for under 90RMB (about $13) on your own.

Basically its just a subway trip to Jishuitan on line 2, then east about 100 meters to the bus station, and take one of the 50 buses labels "919" up to Badaling for 12RMB (or cheaper with a transit card)

Subway = 2RMB
Bus There = 12RMB
Entrance = 60RMB
Bus Back = 12RMB
Subway Back = 2RMB
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Three cheers for that very sound advice.

The 'bus station' is the Desheng Men (one of the few remaining city gates, although heavily remodelled) and the buses depart from the east side.

You need one of the following: 919, 919慢, 919大战快, 919支, 919快, but simply taking the characters for Badaling and showing them to the conductor will make sure you're on the right bus. These leave every few minutes.

Last year the entrance fee was only ¥45, so if it's ¥60 now that's considerable Olympic inflation (and at a time when foreign tourism to China has collapsed).

One caution: this trip is best done NOT at a weekend. Lines for returning buses on weekend afternoons can be very long. You can also return in a 'black' cab, though--local people run services into town for those who can't be bothered to wait. The car won't leave until all four seats are full (unless you want to pay a lot more), and you shouldn't pay more than ¥50 per person including being dropped at your hotel door. Do not pay until alighting.

Peter N-H
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Actually I should add you'd be best to avoid the 919慢 because it's very slow and much less comfortable.

Peter N-H
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Peter N-H: you might be correct in the 45RMB entrance fee still. I've paid so many entrance fees in the last 3 months that I am probably mistaken. I couldn't find my old ticket to double check, so I was going off memory. And those used tickets just take up too much space in my backpack these days, hahaha.

- Shaun
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM

I took the Mutianyu tour from whatever company it was that the tour desk at the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza used. I usually don't take tours but this was too easy. No jade factory tour, just bus out to the wall, the tour guide was available but not leading us on the wall, enough time on the wall and then back to the city.