Great Wall

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Wall

I'm going to the Beijing in a few days and just wondering what section of the Great Wall to see. I probably only have one full day to do it and I'd like to avoid the really touristy section. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 03:20 PM

If you want to avoid the huge crowds that are always at Badaling access point to the Wall (the closest access point to Beijing), I would suggest you go to the Mitianyu access area, about 1? hours by car from Beijing. You can arrange with your hotel for a car and driver, there may also be day-tours by bus to this section, although the car/driver is really not expensive. There are recent postings on this site about taking a bus or mini-van to various access points on the Wall, run a search. You can also then use the car/driver to tour around this area by car if you want, it is quite and deserted. There is a cable car, you can walk up or down if you want, a very steep climb either way! There are lots of obnoxious souvenir sellers at the bottom near the cable car, but once you get passed them, it is quiet and serene. You can walk quite a distance in either direction along the top of the wall. I would recommend that you go to Mitianyu, bit if you are really pressed for time, then the Badaling access point would be acceptable. You do not need a guide at the Wall, as it is pretty self-explanatory. Bring a picnic lunch and have a picnic on the wall.

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:53 PM

I took a bus tour to Miutianyu to see the Wall. You can't avoid going past the vendors, as Cicerone described, but it's not a real problem. The cable car was worthwhile. There were a couple of vendors (illegally, I think) offering a few things for sale, but it was "quiet and serene" as described above.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:01 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to the Simatai section in March this year. It was very early in the season so there were hardly any people there. The sun was shining, there were still a bit of snow left on the wall...it was just beautiful. I have posted lots of pictures and a trip report on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com if you want more information

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 07:18 PM

If you have not already left for Beijing I agree with the above posters. Mutianyu has much more scenery than Badaling, however is more of a climb if the tram is not working. Simatai is definitely the place to go if you have a full day, are active and can climb some fairly (not extreme) steep inclines, and like to enjoy less crowds.

Enjoy your trip.

Michael
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just returned from a nice walk starting from the Jinhaling (sp?) end to the Simatai end. We lucked out to have a beautiful day and I would recommend that hike to anyone. Just be somewhat in shape! Thanks again!