Changi Airpot - advice on time to get between terminals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner and I will be flying from Canada to Perth, Australia but for a cheaper way to go about it we are not booking Canada to Perth direct.

We will buy a return ticket Canada to Singapore, then buy a separate ticket from Singapore to Perth.

We will have 2.5 hours in Singapore to get from our United Airlines flight at Terminal 3 to Jetstar Asia at Terminal 1.

If we take only carry on luggage, will we have enough time to get between Terminals?

Alternatively, if we check luggage, will that still give us enough time to get between Terminals?

And this all assumes of course that the plane from Canada arrives on time!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 05:27 PM

What airlines are you flying? This makes a difference if your Singapore to Perth leg is on a budget airline, as they will not transfer your luggage. Even though you are on two tickets, full-service airlines will transfer your luggage. If your ticket is on a budget airline, you would have to go through immigrations and customs in Singapore then go to your next airline's check-in desk and re-check your luggage.

On full service airlines, 2.5 hours should be plenty, even with checked luggage.
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 05:42 PM

Terminals are connected by Skytrain (a monorail) which take less than 5 mins, and arrive every 5 mins or so. You should have no problems assuming 2.5 hours.

Have a look at www.changiairport.com for info on transfers, stay airside if you can, there's plenty to do. Otherwise, if you have to go through immigration and customs, time taken will depend on your arrival time.

Changi is my favourite airport for connections to SE Asia and everything west (I'm Australian), try the cactus garden for a drink at Harry's if you have time.

Have fun in Perth, a laidback and pretty city.
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 05:55 PM

Some budget airlines allow you to purchase baggage transfer, Scoot ( the budget owned by Singapore Airlines) has "Sccot thru" for about $20. To me that's well worth it to save the aggro of queuing.
Check with Jetstar or Changi.
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 06:00 PM

And I meant to say, Scoot now flies to Perth and have introductory fares for about $250 AUD, if you haven't already booked.
I don't work for the airline, just think they're pretty good value.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 07:27 AM

Since this thread was topped just as we were discussing transiting terminals at Changi, I thought I'd double check something here (thanks, kangagirl80 for letting me tag along this thread).

Daughter is arriving at Changi at 12:30 am later this week on United (Terminal 3). She needs to meet a few people arriving about an hour later on Delta (Terminal 1). From the map, it looks like she'll go through immigration/customs in Terminal 3 and then go upstairs to the departures level to catch the skytrain to Terminal 1 (runs until 2:30 am). Is that correct? Or is this walkable with a reasonable amount of luggage? Thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys, Changi Airport is super well organised and it's very easy to move amongst terminals. We arrived very early in the morning (like 4am) so at that time the skytrain between the terminals was not running, but there is a bus that takes you from one to the other. We had to transfer from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 on our way back through Singapore with 2 hours between flights and we had no issue.