Reload this Page >

Going solo to Japan

Search

Going solo to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 06:35 AM
mdef

Going solo to Japan

I like to travel solo and don't know a word in Japanese, but this is a place that i'd like to go by myself someday. Do you think this should stop me, or is it possible to travel around Japan only knowing english?

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:09 PM
Michael

You'll be fine, better to learn and understand some of the local customs rather than the language, you'll pick up some of the language along the way, simple piece of advice to to get someone in Japan at a hotel/tourist office to write down for you in Japanese simple things such as "train station", "fish" , etc on separate pieces of paper in case you get a taxi and the driver speaks no english or in case you wander off into a small local sushi bar (which you should) and it then may help. Japan is a fabulous country to visit and language will not be a barrier to a happy trip.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:10 PM
Michael

You'll be fine, better to learn and understand some of the local customs rather than the language, you'll pick up some of the language along the way, simple piece of advice to to get someone in Japan at a hotel/tourist office to write down for you in Japanese simple things such as "train station", "fish" , etc on separate pieces of paper in case you get a taxi and the driver speaks no english or in case you wander off into a small local sushi bar (which you should) and it then may help. Japan is a fabulous country to visit and language will not be a barrier to a happy trip.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 08:36 PM
Bob

I sure hope it is possible since I am leaving Saturday for 10 days solo in Japan and I don't speak Japanese either. I did find a web site that had some Japanese phrases and words and you even got the sound waves to hear the spoken words. I thought that was great and of course only on the Internet. I was in Japan for the first time last year but only stayed in Tokyo for 4 days. I was really impressed on how safe Japan felt (then again I am from the US, originally from Chicago so I am familar with large cities). I didn't think Japan was any more difficult to navigate than New York City and you didn't have to worry about being mugged!

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 09:44 PM
shrimpwonton

I live in Hong kong but i have been to Japan a few times. If you go to Tokyo, Oskaka and big cities it should not be a prblem. The only time that I have problem is when I stay at small Ryokans (Japanese Inn )in place like Horai, Kyoto, Hakone then they abosulutely DO NOT SPEAK ONE WORD OF ENGLISH. There are not many english bookstores in Tokyo but <BR>I bought a few pocket size book which is extremely helpful. <BR>1. Japanese Inn and Travel <BR>2. Japanese characters <BR>3. eating in Japan <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>All printed by Japan Travel Bureau, Inc. (JTB).They also have a telephone number , 24 hour hotline in English and if you are stuck , just call them from a booth. <BR> <BR>If you are going to Tokyo, I recommend going to the Fish market and see the Tuna Auction that starts at 5:00 am (I think ). Then all the stalls open and you can buy fresh sushi form the wholesale and get a bowl of noodles around the area . Breakfast for the guys there. Have fun <BR>