Gifts for the Chinese?

Search

Gifts for the Chinese?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gifts for the Chinese?

Since everything in the States is made in China, what would you all suggest to bring as gifts to the Chinese? They have all our CD's and DVD's at a lot lower price. Anything very easy to bring, not take too much room?
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:34 PM

we like to take local pottery, something made near your home...we also bring maple suryp (sp)....anything associated with your area...
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM

Are you talking about substantial gifts to people you know or are meeting with, or small things for strangers you chat with on the street? If the former, I usually take a picture book of the area where I come from or else of a big city like NY or DC or whatever, where the pictures are the dominant thing, not the language. For smaller gifts, I take keychains from sports teams or my city, and postcards.

I was just reading earlier this week that there are some definite no-nos. For instance, clocks and umbrellas and things in groups of four, which is pronounced the same way as "death." I unknowingly did give some umbrellas to the hosts of a study group one time because they had flashlights built into the handles and I thought they would be very practical as well as out of the ordinary. Oops.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips rhkkmk and kudzu!

kudzu-I was thinking of gifts for both types you mentioned.

I really need something small and lightweight since I predict we will have trouble bringing only 1 suitcase a piece and 1 carry-on.

I read on one post they said the Chinese like Cross pens and Parker fountain pens.

I also read anything white is a no-no since they wear white for funerals. Knives no good-"cutting" your relationship. Not like you can carry knives on the plane anyway.

I'm trying to think of anything that is made in the US, but that maybe not what they are looking for either.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM

Most Chinese, needless to say, haven't been out of China, and most things Western tend to be interesting and cool (for heavens' sake, even McDonald's is cool!!) I'd say that something that visibly says "America", never mind where it was actually made, would hit the spot. (My daughters, who teach school in China, give small things bearing something distinctively Australian - usually wildlife - and these are very popular with their students.)

I'm not sure that bearing gifts for people you encounter "in the street" would be appropriate - to me that smacks a little too much of taking beads for the natives. Unless you have social or business connections in China, most of the interactions you'll have with Chinese people will be commercial in nature, and I think the others will be too brief to warrant gift-giving.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Brand name cosmetics would be very good gifts. It's brand name, nice and much cheaper here comparing to the price in China. To name a few: Lancome, Estee Lauder... Lipsticks, facial cream, perfume... They are all good. Anything local like syrup or pottery will be nice but won't make them elated. Plus it will be too heavy for you to carry. For guys, pens as you said will be good. Just remember, Chinese like brand names.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Good idea, wantotravel!! Cosmetics would be small and easy to carry. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM

L.i.C:

If you wish to gift your Chinese friend, a good host or business partner (Chinese) then I strongly recommend gold (preferably 999-24carats) and/or branded jewellery (can buy on flts/duty free shops)
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:37 AM

I was just at the Post Office and came upon a great gift to take to China. Though we're past Chinese New Year, some US POs may still have the New Year stamps. To my surprise, this year they are selling them in a beautiful card of 24 -- each of the 12 animals of the zodiac on each side. A card costs $8.88, also a very lucky number. These are virtually weightless in your suitcase and since most Chinese seem to collect stamps, it's a sure winner.

Incidentally, my previous comment "strangers you chat with on the street" was perhaps poorly worded. What I meant to do was to distinguish more casual acquaintences, as oppposed to more formal ones that may call for more substantial gifts. There may be someone who strikes up a significant conversation with you to practice his or her English, or who may go out of his or her way to help you when you may want to give them more than verbal thanks alone.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Kudzu,
I like your suggestion for the stamps since they are light and take no space.Didn't know lots of Chinese collect stamps. Thanks!