getting from hua hin to ko samet

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at staying in hua hin during june next year and want to combine it with a nice island without the hastle or expense of catching a plane.Does anyone know if it is possible to charter a speed boat for 10-15 people that would take us direct to ko samet?Is there any other options of an island closer to hua hin that would provide a more tropical beach type feel that we could stay for a week? Have been looking at apartment style accomadtion around hua hin and have come up with Ban Suansaran,which can provide us with 3-4 2 bedroom apartments and still has a resort style pool and gardens.We will be travelling in a large group to celebrate my 40th birthday and will be travelling with kids as young as 4 and my parents who are mid 60's so our needs will be wide and varied but we basically all want to relax and take in thai hospitality,play a little golf,eat seafood and have the odd day trip and night out.Any suggestions or comments?
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:20 PM

If yuo want condo style apartments on the beach in Hua Hin try Chom View Suites, right on the beach, large open style duplex apartments, but hotel style service

No, you can't get a boat to samet, you go by road cutting through south part of Bangkok and then heading south east, Samet is very quiet except for weekends.
My own suggestion would be to head south from Hua hin, about 3 hours by road gets you to Chumphon where you travel by boat or high speed jet Catamaran to Koh Tao island which is great for snorkeling/scuba and rustic style, you can also hop across to Koh Phangan and other islands and also Samui if you wish.
For a group a couple of mini-vans would take down there, easy to arrange in Hua Hin.

Golf is superb in Hua hin, 8 I think championship courses, the Chom View is ideal for a group, nice restaurants close by, it is near the Hyatt Regency and Wora Bura resorts and is good value, we have stayed there over the years. It is also at Khao takiab which is nicer beach area.

http://www.r24.org/beachsiam.com/hua...mview/details/

Actually the photos are bad, they do not do it justice! They should get another photographer!! Photos on the beach must have been the worst day ever!! Anyway it's a lot lot nicer than the photos show!!

Good day trips are Bang saphan and Koh Talu island for snorkeling and rock formations, lunch on the beach, another is half or full day around Sam Roi Yot National Park.

On Koh Tao Sensi Paradise or Thipwimarn are good

http://www.beachsiam.com/koh_tao.html

If you are staying in Hua Hin it makes a lot of sense to head south from there are along the coast and Koh Tao although quiet is a nice island.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:23 PM

There are also twice daily bus/jet catamaran combo from Hua hin to Koh Tao but with a group of that size 2 mini-vans would be cheaper and better. Local agents can arrange that together with Jet-Cat tickets.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:45 PM

I think those condos you mention are "Baan Sansaran"
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JamesA,you're right on the money as usual.Is it still easy enough to catch a tuk tuk from the chom view suites? The last time we went to hua hin we stayed at the marriott which was very conviently located and we loved all the restauraunts in central hua hin and along the pier.Is there a good selection of places near the chom view?Also,does Koh Tao have an assortment of bars massage,restauraunts etc?
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 02:16 AM

Chom View is down a road and around a corner just past the Hyatt Regency, but they have a mini-van ( note that mini-vans are usually 9+driver ) and they will always sort transport.
One of the nicest restaurants in Hua Hin "Let's Sea" is right next to Chom View and in addition to great food it is right on the beach and dare I say rather 'trendy', and great for a celebration ( take your own wine, and pay the bottle charge ) the individual bathroom 'facilities' are open and overlook water lily ponds, pretty unique ). Also near entrance to Hyatt hence near Chom View is the 'Sasi Bar" which has a live band, drinks quite cheap, nice place for late night drinks, earlier in the evening they have the Sasi Show which is Thai cultural show and buffet dinner.
New place in town is the "Hua Hin Thai Show" just off the market that has Thai and cabaret show plus dinner, also another new Cabaret near the Hilton, it has got quite busy this year.

Koh Tao is very laid back, lots of local restaurants and local bars with some music and drinks, easy to find massage and if staying at sensi or Thipviman should be able to get better massage etc.

Lomprayah does the bus/jet-cat to Koh Tao and Koh Phangan but you can continue to Samui also. If you wanted to go to Samet you can organise mini-vans from Hua hin, it takes about 4 hours Hua hin to pattaya so another say 90 minutes to Rayong, so with stops perhaps 6 hours from Hua hin to ferry boat point near Ranong to cross onto Samet.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 07:34 AM

Just a thought:-

We and also friends now always stay at the Ocean Breeze "le Club" when we go to Hua Hin, when we can get rooms(!), now this is a great boutique style B&B at Takiab Bay in Hua Hin, it's about 5 minutes past the Hyatt Regency, they only have 5 or 6 rooms rooms but they also have some holiday duplex places along the same soi, it is about 100 yards to the beach, if there is a big group of you and as June is about the quietest month season wise you 'might' be lucky and get a good deal if they had enough accommodation for your group.
It's a superb place service wise and on our last visit I tipped probably more than ever simply because the service was well beyond anywhere I have stayed. On the beach and one of the staff comes down with iced towels, fruit slices and fresh beach towels, when we returned from town at night there was hot chocolate and cookies for the kids, this place certainly has a 'wow' factor.
The only downside for you is that it is small and only has a small indoor dip pool, but as a group it might be nice to stay in a trendy place if you were lucky wenough to get 'all' the rooms. Normaly about USD 40 a night though for several rooms they might deal.
You could get lucky depending on dates, might be worth a try and I think they would be flexible with deals, they never charge us anything extra for the kids, dollar for dollar it's a pretty amazing place.

www.huahinwhatson.com/oceanbreeze.html

They are also on vbeachsiam and Huahin.20m.com

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 07:40 AM

Sorry my famous typos, that should be also on Beachsiam.com and Huahin.20m.com