Search

From KimJapan in Chiang Mai

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From KimJapan in Chiang Mai

We are loving our time in Chiang Mai.

We left Japan in the middle of the biggest blizzard in over 50 years. Our 2 1/2 hour train trip to Nagoya from Kanazawa took us 7 hours, standing room only. We're lucky to have made it at all. Nagoya Airport - Centrair - was closed the day before our departure...but opened again in time for us to depart on time.

Arrived in BKK Dec 23 just before midnight. Though we had prebooked julietaxi, there was no one waiting for us. No worries, we looked for julietaxi's person on the left and right sides of the airport, and finally gave up and took a car from a limo booth. 600 baht, 20 minutes to the Conrad.

Conrad was more than we expected. Our stay was free with points, breakfast was complimentary with our HHonors Gold status. Room was large enough, nicely decorated, and the bathroom was very nice.
Breakfast was a lovely spread of anything you could want. Checked out after breakfast and took a meter taxi to the airport...departed the Conrad at 9:00 and were at the airport before 9:30 for our flight to Chiang Mai at 10:25.

Yaang Come Village staff met us at the airport and brought us to the hotel. Lovely trip. Lovely hotel, huge room with balcony, big dressing area, huge bathroom, too. Food in the restaurant is reasonably priced and tasty. Presentation is beautiful. Breakfast is buffet style and simple but certainly enough choice. Service is good.

Sightseeing has been fine...short bursts for us. Doi Suthep yesterday, and a bit of time in the nearby Meo village. Sunday afternoon walking market was fun. Today, umbrella village, and Teaghan painted her own umbrella with the help of one of the painters. Lovely souvenir for her.

In just a few minutes I'm off for my second visit to the Oasis spa...lovely place. There are lots of spas around, but I couldn't think of any reason not to go back to the Oasis after the first experience was so nice.

The Whole Earth restaurant in front is good. Staff is nice, food is good, though too spicy for Teaghan...we reordered for her to get something less spicy since what she ordered was unexpectedly spicy.

Spa time now.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Glad to hear that you arrived safely, Kim. Too bad about the glitch with Julie Taxi.

Enjoy your spa!
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:01 AM

kim it all sounds wonderful....keep us posted as you go along as you find time...

2.5 to 7 hours for the train....that is unbelievable....the schedule people in japan who keep things on time must have been ready to slit their throats....or resign in disgrace...
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM
CFW

Kim, Sounds like you're having a wonderful time despite a somewhat rocky start with weather in Japan & Julie Taxi no-show at the airport in BKK. Love the Oasis Spa! Thai massage will wipe away all stress. We'll be at Yaang Come Village in February, so glad to hear the nice report. Looking forward to hearing more as your trip progresses. Any other restaurants in CM you would recommend?
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

The House is getting good reviews and is pretty near to YCV. We haven't been there...maybe tonight. We actually haven't been hungry much at night. Last night we had dinner here at YCV, don't actually know what we ate by name. The manager chose for us - a chicken coconut milk soup and a fish with chili sauce. Both were outstanding.

We are totally relaxed now...at least I am. Have completely forgotten the snow!

Oasis spa is an oasis. YCV offers 2 hour traditional Thai massage in your room for 500 baht. Friends tried it and said it was very nice. Though I was tempted, the Oasis spa has me hooked. Spent 3 hours there yesterday...hair treatment, facial, herbal steam, oil massage...skin and hair are feeling lovely.

Today we are doing a cooking class with Yui...we chose a custom menu together and are having a private class for the three of us. Leaving soon for that.

Staff here are very accommodating, and it's easy to arrange car service for a reasonable 200 baht per hour. They also offer day rates and 1/2 day rates, as well as several private tours if you like. We are happy here. Interesting mix of guests...many nationalities and styles, families, couples...nice.

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 06:57 PM
CFW

Kim, Love reading your posts. YCV sounds great & we are looking forward to it. Sounds like a lovely family vacation and so nice to share all of these things with your daughter. We also traveled a lot with our daughter when she was that age, which was wonderful, and now she seems to have caught the travel bug from us.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 03:14 AM
CFW

Kim, Thought I would also ask if you have any recommendations for a tailor in CM for a women's silk jacket. I used Cotton House in BKK last year, but don't think we'll be in BKK long enough this trip.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Not sure of tailors...but do ask at Yaang Come Village to the owner or manager. They will be more than happy to help you find someone that is suitable for what you want.

We are off to elephant camp at the elephant conservation center this morning, and will be back at YCV on Friday. Getting a detailed tour of the place then...so any questions at all about the place just ask and I can find out.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 04:51 PM
CFW

Thanks. Have a great time at ECC - you & your daughter will love it. We just spent a half day there, but while we were watching the bathing we talked with some people who did the Mahout training program and they looked like they were really enjoying it & had become very attached to their elephants!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 04:52 PM
CFW

Oh, one question. How's the mosquito situation at YCV?
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

We just got back to YCV from 3 days elephant camp. It was GREAT! Full report will have to follow. WAY too much to include here.

Mosquitos at YCV...there are some, not so many. We asked them to spray our room in the evening when we were out because we were not careful about leaving the door open. We honestly have not been bothered by them.

We have been given the junior suite for tonight, so I'll take photos of it....also got deluxe room photos. They are 100% full tonight.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 02:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Kim, It sounds like you're having a great time. A very happy and healthy new year to you and your family!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:10 AM
CFW

Kim, Glad you're having such a wonderful time! Looking forward to your report & photos.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 08:02 AM

anxiously awaiting your reports and pics..happy new year