Four weeks in Taiwan

Old May 20th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four weeks in Taiwan

Hi everyone,
My family and I are thinking of spending a month (4 or 5 weeks) in Taiwan from late December 2011 to Late Jan / early Feb 2012.
Why Taiwan, well we like that it is an island (and so a manageable area to cover), and we're interested in Chinese and native culture, and it will be warmer than the mainland at that time of year!
We'll spend some time in Taipei, of course. But then we want to travel around. So three initial questions, in the hope that there are some 'old Taiwan hands' here who can help.
1. Would we be mad to hire a car? I've heard that the driving can be pretty wild. But we want to be able to get to more 'off the beaten track' places'...
2. Any ideas for an itinerary, covering most of the big sights?
3. Has anyone been to Lanyu Island? What is the trip over there like in winter? I've heard the seas can be bad (and I get sea sick!).
Hope to hear from some of you. THANK YOU
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just made a too short visit to Taiwan - see http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...-excursion.cfm

I recommend that you get hold of Lonely Planet's guidebook, which is the one I used, and which has suggested itineraries. I didn't drive, I took the train, and used a car and driver for Taroko Gorge, but to do the cross-island drives you need a car.

Don't miss the south, I loved the temples in Tainan. There are a number of day trips from Taipei, I only did one, but all should be OK by public transport.
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:17 AM

Although I've never done it, you're not mad to hire a car. Driving is American style, not English -- don't know your nationality, but that may make a difference. Keep in mind that language, especially out of Taipei is a big issue. Maps, directions, road signs (Romanization of Chinese words can vary dramatically) will all be challenging, as will asking for help.

The main highway on the west coast is pretty easy to use. I haven't driven the east coast -- it is less traveled (and more scenic).

Getting to some of the closer tourist sights near Taipei can be difficult w/o a car: Yehliu, the Ju Ming Museum, Jiu Fen come to mind. You could hire a taxi or car and driver to take you to some of these spots.

The trains are pretty good and will take you lots of places. You will want to spend some time in Taroko Gorge. You might want to look into hiking Ali Shan (which may require a permit). Tainan is nice. You can take the High Speed Rail to Kaoshiung. If you want to go to Kenting from there, a hotel will pick you up. I was unimpressed with Sun Moon Lake, but it is a popular destination.

Lonely Planet will be helpful.

Nice people, great food, pretty countryside. You'll have fun.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 08:38 PM

Hi,

I am from Taipei, it good to hear that you want to visit Taiwan.
1.Personally, I think it is OK to hire a car for your traveling except in Taipei city ,probably not in any big city.
2.I think you have long time here so many sightseeing spot can fit in your trip, such as Taroko Gorge, Sun Moon Lake, Kenting...etc.
3. I think you are right few people will visit Lanyu in winter. Even though I never been to there, I can image that.
By the way, if you want to visit Taroko Gorge you will pass by E-Lan country. It has become a popular place for traveling recently.You can experience a lot of local culture there. My family have a house there just for holiday; on that time I will be free because I will be waiting for going to study in USA. If you do not mind you can stay my house for few days for free. I am happy to be your tour guide.I can also provide you more information about Taiwan.If you need more information just email me. [email protected]