Search

For Marmot

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
For Marmot

Hi marmot,

I've been reading about the awful flooding in Jakarta and was wondering (and hoping) that you and your family are okay. You'll remember that I got caught in that terrible quake in Yogyakarta on May 27 and was treated royally by the people there. I feel so awful about what has happened.

I realize that many are not able to get to their homes or are without electricity and that you may have much more pressing problems, but if you happen to see this and get a chance, please let us know you are okay. Your Fodors family is very concerned.

Laurie

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for asking, Laurie. It's actually much worse than you see on the international news.

Jakarta is underwater, in some areas a few inches, in some several feet. Roads are inundated, electricity and telephones (and internet) are down, families are marooned. Hundreds of thousands of people – nobody knows how many -- are affected and the government? What government? This is urban paralysis at the most unfathomable low.

The wealthy are affected as well as the poor, but of course those with money have been able to check into hotels or stay with friends in equally comfortable surroundings. A great many people simply have no where to go but the most abysmal of shelters.

It’s eerie; you drive by a familiar neighborhood and see people wading through waist deep water, like figures in a dream. Javanese are stoic to the extreme. You hear a lot about God’s will when these kind of disasters happen, but come on, God, cut these poor souls some slack!

Our house is fine, but we’re going to be untangling problems related to the business for months to come.

The problem is it’s STILL raining.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Marmot, I've been thinking about you as well, and was going to post this question, so glad to see that Laurieco beat me to it. I'm glad to hear that you and your family are ok. It really sounds like a terrible situation.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for replying marmot. I'm so relieved that you are alright and that your home isn't affected. It's terrible though to see it happening to a city you live in and love and to see the suffering. I truly hope the rain stops and the flooding subsides and people can begin to pick up the pieces and get back to their lives. Keep us posted when you can. You are all in our thoughts.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Unbelievable...please take care.

We are praying for you and all of your wonderful Javanese neighbors.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Glad to know you are coming through this latest gush from Mother Nature. My heart goes out to those less fortunate and more directly hit by this.