For Craig - urgent Q re: Compass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have been so helpful in our trip planning -- thanks again! One more urgent question for you if you don't mind. We have been in contact with Compass about providing guide and driver services for our trip. They are asking for FULL payment upon arrival in India, saying this is company policy.

Did you have to pay in full upon arrival, or did you pay part at the outset and part at the end of your trip? Are we unwise to agree to pay all up front in case there are any problems?

Thanks again for your insights - we are grateful!!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 05:53 AM

I paid a small advance deposit and the balance near the end of the trip. When it was time to "settle up", were taken to the Compass office which is in south Delhi. We went straight to Agra from the airport at the beginning of our trip and did not tour Delhi until the end so it was our first opportunity to go to the Compass office. If you are spending time in Delhi at both the beginning and end of your trip, you might propose paying a portion on arrival and the balance near the end. Of course, that means two trips to south Delhi which will eat up valuable vacation time. If Compass booked your hotels, it is reasonable for them to ask for advance payment as they have paid a deposit to hold the rooms for you. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Craig - thanks for the reply. We agree that it would make total sense if they'd booked hotels, but we booked all of our own hotels (they are not out of pocket on anything). Compass is only arranging car/driver and guides for us. Do you think we should push back given the precedent of your trip, or do you think that we should feel comfortable just paying all up front? Given your personal experience with Compass, your insights are really valuable to us. Thanks much!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:25 AM

i guess i don't see what the issue is...what difference does it make when you pay....most tours would be paid in advance 100%, would they not?? this seems to be the same....you are asking compass to provide a car and driver and this requires setting aside someones time and eqpt, so why not pay in advance....
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I would just go ahead and pay it all up front - I went to India prepared to do just that but the logistics didn't work out.

I was just looking at your cell phone post - Compass supplied us with a cell phone but it could not call out of the country - don't know if that is what you want to do. With a cell phone, if you run into trouble (for example you get a really lousy guide), you can call Compass and rectify the problem on the spot. They should supply you with all of the contact and phone numbers for their reps in the different areas you are visiting.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for the input. We've definitely paid up front in other places, but were just checking in this case given that others had not been asked by Compass to do so -- just wanted to be sure that this did not limit our ability to get something rectified if any problems (or issues like the bad guiding one that Craig raised) arise.

Craig - lcuy gave us the name of a Compass guide in Delhi to avoid. Are there any that you would suggest we steer clear of, or even better that we should request? Thanks again for all your help!!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 09:00 AM

We had an excellent guide in Delhi - his name was Raj. Unfortunately I do not have a last name and although I received business cards from our other guides, I did not receive one from him.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Craig - we are just going for it, and will pay Compass up front as they asked. One other question for you -- how far is the Compass office from the Imperial, and is it close to any sights? We only have one full day in Delhi, so spending a lot of time going to their office would not be ideal. Is it far? Could we get them to meet us at the hotel for payment instead? Thanks again for your wisdom on everything!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 11:35 PM

it is quite a ways to their office from the Imperial- maybe 15-20 minutes driving each way. If you are paying cash, you can do it at the hotel, otherwise you need to go to the office.

When we did it, we went straight from there to south Delhi touring, but I remember it using up about an hour.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:08 AM

The south Delhi site Qutab Minar is reasonably close to the Compass office but as Lucy said, not close to the Imperial. We paid by credit card but it seems logical that if you pay cash, you would not have to go to the office. If you have only one full day, do old Delhi in the morning: visit the Jama Masjid mosque, from the mosque take a rickshaw through Chandni Chowk, skip the red fort if you are going to see Agra Fort, spend a moment at Raj Ghat (Ghandi memorial). In the afternoon, see India Gate and Raj Path then head to Humayan's Tomb. If you have time, do Qutab Minar. It will be a very full day.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a million for the day-plan -- fantastic to have! Sorry to be dense about the geography of Delhi, but we don't yet have a lay of the land and want to maximize our day. Are we best off to just go to the Compass office first thing in the morning and then head to Old Delhi from there?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Best to do Compass at the end of the day with the above itinerary.