Flora Exhibit and - - - Chiang Mai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- Anyone going to be in CM in November for the Flora exhibition? I can't find any news if there have been delays because of the terrible rains. Have you taken the bus from CM to CR? Only choice - apparently no direct flights. Hope the bus make "pit" stops during the 4 hours.
Do you know of any "can't miss" shoppping, not the usual tourist stops in CM - Kathie, what about you -obviously you and others on this board have excellent taste. I chose to stay at the Golden Cupids - great reviews and out of town. We often go to BKK in Nov and use as base for other destinations but have never been north. My son and daughter in law will meet me in CR for a few days. Plan to stay at Anantara. My son was working at the new airport in BKK to get ready for the opening (he works for NWA) and said the taxi to Siam Square area was about 300 THB but expected it to go up. I haven't written on this board for ages but read the posts. Everyone has such great information. does anyone know what ever happened to Lynn/L./a. She did great travelogs in 2001 timeframe. Thank you all in advance.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Contact Paew at paewtravel.com She will be able to answer all questions as she is a tourist guide based in Chiang Mai. You won't be under any obligation and she is most helpful.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM

lynn----that has become a joke....all last year people kept asking to bring her info up...she has retired was the final prognosis....
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Well I expect to be here for most of November, unless I’m offered a job I can’t resist!

We already have our tickets for the Flora exhibition, a single for me and a multiple for SWMBO as she expects we will have many guests during the exhibition.

Chiang Mai City has not had any major problems with the rains – much as usual but problems in the province.

For shopping, try out the “Northern Village” in the Airport Plaza.

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Yes, we are going to the Flora exhibit. I was planning on buying a multi-entry pass while I'm in Bangkok. The website says they are available at Siam Paragon. Here's the website for the exhibition: www.royalfloraexpo.com/index.asp

I haven't been to CM for 20 some years, so the places I found to shop are no doubt gone. I'll be doing some exploring and have a number of things I'll be looking for in CM. One store I plan to visit is Orchid Jade, out by Doi Suthep.

In CM, we're staying in town at Yaang Come. I've never heard of Golden Cupids - how far out of town is it? Many of the places listed as being CM are an hour away!
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info- Unfortunately I will have to buy the ticket in CM - I will only be in BKK for a few hours and will be staying at Novotel-Airport. Golden Cupids is a little way out but looks very relaxing. Funny, Yang Come was the choice until I decided to stay out of town. I had read to try the Northern Village at the airport - anything special there? Thanks you again - RHKKMK - you seem to be one of the great contributors - any advice from you? Thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 06:28 PM

You can buy tickets either single or multiple entry at the Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai. Whilst there have a look at the two floorsof "Northern Village" a good selection of handicrafts for sale.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Note that you can now buy tickets online at the above link.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Wow! This looks very interesting! I may have to buy another 1 gig Sd card for my digital camera!

I am so happy that I will be there for this!

The tickets are normally 200 baht for one day admission but they are offering a discount on line and it is only 100 baht.

Cheers!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Tangata, the Flora Expo looks like it is very large. I was wondering if you have been by the area where it will take place?

I can't really wrap my head around whether a one day pass will allow me to see the entire exhibit.

Does anyone know what the times are that the exhibit is open? I couldn't find it on the website.

Thanks!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:12 PM

The area is 400 Rai, which SWMBO tells me is about 880 acres -- so iot will be difficult to cover it all in one day.

The hours are from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm, but bear in mind that at this time of the year it is dark by 6:00 pm. (I presume some of it is indoors or floodlit)

We bought tickets here at 100 Baht for one day and 200 Baht for a multiple entry.

Although it is the "cool" season, many people may still find it too hot to spend a full day there. At the moment daily temperatures range from a high of 34 or 35 to a low of around 20. Nearer Christmas expect mid twenties to around 12 overnight.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Tamara, we are getting the multi-day passes, as I can't imagine seeing all I want to see there in one day.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks Tangata. I just went to the website. The price on the website is more than 200 for multi entry. It shows the regular price is 800 but if you purchase online it is 400 baht.

I will only be in Chiang Mai for 3 days so I think I will just purchase 2 single entry tickets. I won't have time to visit all three days as I am also partaking in two different Loy Krathong parties while in Chiang Mai.

Thanks!