Flights Langkawi to BKK

Search

Flights Langkawi to BKK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flights Langkawi to BKK

I think i am going mad. I am sure i found a flight from Langkawi to BKK a few weeks ago but i can't seem to find it now. Does anyone know if there is a direct flight.

thanks
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM

there is an early morning balloon flight which sometimes drifts northward....

one in your party has plenty of hot air so it might work....
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM

kayak shows a malay flt from one to the other BUT a stop in K/L....3.5 hours total at about 100 pounds
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 06:16 PM

A different option would be to fly in/out of Penang (and take a ferry to Langkawi). I believe several different airlines offer this route. We flew Thai between BKK and Penang.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys
Think i will swap my intinery round and do Langkawi first, get the Ferry to Penang and then fly to BKK from there. (assuming this is our final one....too many places to choose)
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:06 PM

Air Asia did launch a flight between Langkawi and Bangkok but that has now stopped.
You can fly from Penang, Thai has a morning flight around 8 am or something like that, Air asia has a 1035 and 1705 flight ( but check their schedules as may change by season )

You can take the ferry from Langkawi to Satun in Thailand, takes about 1 hr 30 if you were heading to the South of Thailand. But I wouldn't suggest that as a means for getting to Bangkok as nearest airport to Satun ( Trang ) only has I think 1 flight a day to BKK ( Nok Air ).

There is the daily train from Butterworth ( mainland from Penang )to Bangkok via Surat Thani ( for Samui ) and Hua Hin.

If you were adventurous or perhaps wanted to head to elsewhere such as Koh Samui area. ( Change trains at border ) but ticket through. 2nd class a/c to border, the Thai train then has 1st and 2nd a/c, stops along the way from Hat Yai area at Surat Thani ( for Koh Samui and Koh Phangan area ), Chumphon ( for Koh Tao ) and then also stops in Hua Hin before final stretch into Bangkok.
That's a daily service.

That is only worthwhile if your 'destination' is in fact Bangkok itself. If your plan say was to head to some beach from Bangkok either that train or the ferry to Satun might be of interest.

Look at the other post about Langkawi I think from yesterday.
http://www.fireflyz.com.my/ is budget flight Langkawi - Penang and also Penang - Phuket and Samui (do check website though as flights can change / seasonal etc )
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

JamesA
Many thanks for your response. My biggest dilemma is my BF hates flying, so i have to keep them down to a minimum (a connecting flight counts as two as he hates the take off and landings) so i think the Penang - bkk direct is probably my best option flying wise. It's such a shame they stopped the direct Langkawi one.
Now i had totally forgotten about the train, i have a romanticised idea about this and fancy a train journey, although i am not sure time will allow.
Another thought i had (as we are keen to go to Phuket but can't add the extra flight)is there a direct ferry from Penang to Phuket? or is that a stupid question? That way i could substitute Langkawi for Phuket (just a thought i can always visit Phuket another time but i like to keep all my options open)

We are keen to do some snorkeling (did it for the first time last year in Aus and loved it) and have heard its great around Phuket.
Thanks
Smeagol
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 04:36 AM

Firefly have flights between Penang and Phuket, it's a 50 seater turbo-prop. Schedules 1 hr 10/20 but should be 1 about 1 hr. But is turbo-prop plane.

There are 'no' ferries except for that one from Langawi to Satun.

In case any use, if you take a look at a map you will see how close Langkawi is to Thailand. The ferry from Langkawi to Satun takes about 1 hr 30 mins.
From Satun there are small quiet offshore islands or you can take a var+driver easily from Satun to the pier to get across to Koh Lanta or go further north to Krabi area.
I don't know what time you have but using 'car+driver' ( readily available ) you can get hotel to hotel very easily.
If you don't mind road travel you can get from Saturn to krabi and leaving Langkawi early ferry you would be in krabi area after lunch.
Krabi is close to Phi Phi and Phuket so sets you in that area.

Time of year/weather could affect, but that would work if you have enough time. Ferry langkawi to Saturn and then to Koh Lanta or Krabi area ( Krabi more sceneic, more places to visit etc ) that is do-able without any hassle.

You can also ferry from Langkawi onto Malaysia mainland and pick up the Penang-Bangkok Express from there. Now that train as said is KTMB ( malaysia railways ) 2nd class a/c through to border, then you all board the Thai railways train ( 1st and 2nd class a/c sleepers - even 2nd class is quite ok as long as you are not thinking Orient Express style of travle !! ) and then you can leave train at Surat Thani, overnight in town and next morning down to the ferry for Samui or head over to Koh Tao if you want snorkeling ( May - late Sept time ), or continue with train and get off in Chumphon for the Koh Tao ferry.

http://www.langkawi-ferry.com/

Excellent site rail travel, all the details for Butterworth (Penang) route that goes into Thailand and runs up the Gulf Coast
http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

Rail line map:
http://www.seat61.com/Map-SEAsia.htm

Train leaves Butterworth 1420 and from Arau ( connection to/ from Langkawi 1708, arrives Surat Thai (for Samui ) 2320 and Chumphon 0210 ( acceptable a/c 2 star hotels in town) morning boat to Koh tao to snorkel, train continues Hua hin 6 am and then Bangkok 1050.

I would use 'only' if you want some beach in the Samui/Koh Tao area, if Bangkok is destination just fly.

If you want to do Phuket/Krabi/Phi Phi area then Langkawi-Satun boat and then car+driver.

If you plan on Langkawi and then Southern Thailand Langkawi-Satun is the easy way to do it.

Nothing against Langkawi, nice relaxed island, but you are not going to find/see anything there that you can't in krabi/Phuket/Phi Phi area nicer. Again, no offense against Langkawi but....
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:16 AM

Nikki...have you looked at the Tanjung Rhu Resort on Langkawi? We visited there when it was new. The setting is to die for. the beach was fantastic. We did not see the rooms, but from the site they look nice. Bob says 1/2 the price of the Datai. It is way out, but for a few days quiet.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:21 AM

datai is also way removed from things...
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

James thank you so mcuh for the detailed advice (i was hoping you would respond) I will check out the ferry/car route and see what the BF thinks.
We may however stick with Langkawi as we will need a bit of R & R so it does sound like a good spot (although i am a bit concerned we will get bored?)
Is Penang nice? we like to shop and eat and this could be a good after the quietness of Langkawi?
Bob and Karen i am going to check out that resort. I REALLY want to go to the datai but am concerned about thye location/price so was considering doing 2 days at maybe Bon ton 2 days datai but Muffin will HATE to have to pack again (but then his personal valet will do that - that would be me then)
This trip is still in early stages as i was hoping to go to Loas as you know but i may try and do that in the spring with my friend instead and then i wont have the worry of not arranging too many flights.... so that really is why i have turned ny attention to Malaysia it was after MrW post about the ferry.....
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:25 AM

its very hard to plan when you have "baggage" to tend with....
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:36 AM

The Georgetown area of Penang is really delightful. There is the famous hawker food as well as superb Indian food. Lots to do in Georgetown.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Firstly apologies for the terrible typos in my last post. I was rushing.
Kathie i noted your reco re the E & O last time so i am definately going to stay there if we do go with Malaysia.

One question for all you experts. The rate is way more favourable for corporate customers, if i booked and gave my work adress could i get this rate? (i dont want to do anything naughty) but all it ask for is my name ond organisation address?/
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Karen do you have a the hotel website for the tanjung resort, i can't seem to find it. I really like the look of this place and seems i a good price range. Is the location good?
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:48 PM

I don't know Tanjong Rhu but it's expensive !
I am guessing about double the Meritus Pelangi resort ( good location ) as one of few places where eateries etc are convenient.
http://www.asiaoz.com/malaysia.html and click on Langkawi
I don't konw Mutiara Burau Bay but that is way down in price from Tanjonr Rua and a lot cheaper than Pelangi.

On Langkawi getting a rental is a great idea ( there are 2 posts going at the moment for Langkawi so do check the other as there are other suggestions, car rental links etc there already ).

Langkawi is 'quiet'. There are though lots of 'eco tours' etc around the other small islands, so R&R mixed with kayak trips etc enough for a few days.
You can find a few beach bars here and there but it is 'very tame' and very low key - if that makes sense.

As often said, it is one isalnd where a rental really is a good idea, raods are quiet, well posted, driving very easy indeed.

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Nikki...I think I just googled the Tanjung Rhu Resort.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

K - I found it, (it was me being a dummy, didnt spell it right!!!) rates are better on Agoda and as James says it is expensive (but you know how i love a good hotel)
Thanks James for the other posts tips, will check them out.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

K i looked on a map and Tanjung Rhu looks really isolated, what did you guys think?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM

yes, at the time we went there it was way north and all by itself....rental car would be necessary....it was new at the time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -