Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Flight schedule from Shanghai to Huangshan Yellow Mountain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Huangshan from Shanghai in May 2007.

I guess the "easiest" way is to fly from Shanghai, but I have a real hard time getting flight information.

China Eastern website does not post a flight schedule. Ctrip website says there is a morning flight (China Eastern) from Hong Qiao (but when I "pretend" to book to get a schedule it says no flight available so I couldn't look at any schedule), some website says there is a Shanghai Airways flight from Putong. I searched Elong but there is only flight going one way but not return etc. etc. Then a Huangshan travel site says China Eastern leaves Shanghai in the afternoon, not in the morning.

Just cannot tell which information is coorect. I guess the problem is that lots of information are not up-to-date.

Can anyone help me and tell me where to look for a flight schedule: what airline flies between Shanghai (either Putong or Hong Qiao), and Huangshan (Tunxi)?? the time table. I can then plan whether I need to stay the first night in either Tunxi or Hongkou, or have time to go up to the hotel at the peak for the first night. Or on the way back, whether I need to stay overnight in Shanghai before flying to Hong Kong.

Is it just too early to plan????
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:38 AM

Way way way too early trying to book the flights. Try March of 2007. Or after you get to Shanghai, maybe...

Currently, the schedule from Shanghai to Huangshan is this:

MU5561 from SHA (Hongqiao) Mon,Fri 16:00
MU5563 from PVG (Pudong) daily 20:40
FM9265 from PVG daily 20:20

MU = China Easter, FM = Shanghai airlines

Next May should be similar. I'm looking this up on a Chinese-language only site. On some flights, they have fares up to mid-March. So, if you HAVE to book early, you may be able to find them in about 2 months.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Which website did you use, rkkwan? I speak and read Chinese although I left Hong Kong about 30 years ago. Thanks.

I actually checked both Elong and Ctrip websites. When nothig showed up for May 2007, I tried asking for next week, and also December departure dates. No matter what dates I gave, the Elong site would always say: no return flights available.

Same problem with Ctrip (couldn't even get past that "Delivery City" requirement.

Maybe Elong and Ctrips are not the best sites to book local flights within China?? maybe I should go to a travel agent instead??
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:30 AM

Johnmango - I used www.oklx.com/cn for searching for schedules and stuff. I have never booked any internal Chinese flights online. While my parents fly inside China all the time, they always just use a travel agent in Hong Kong.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:05 PM

Johnmango: Have you tried calling Elong? They speak good english, courteous and very helpful.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Shanghainese - I did call them a few days ago. Their web-listed phone no is 0086-10-64329999, and it took me a while to figure out what to dial: I tried dialing 0086..., 86...., then 011-0086... and finally got through dialing 011-86...

All I got was a recording saying that they were busy at the time. After waiting for 10 mins I hanged up. Today when I tried again, their reservation office was closed (it is not a 24-hour line). So I will try again to catch their day time office hours.

Suppose I can wait (as rkkwan suggested) till I get to Shanghai before I book the flight to Huangshan. But that would give me only 2 days in Shanghai to find a flight to Huangshan. So if the flights are full that will turn our itinerary up-side down.

Guess I am just not used to relying on travel agents, or booking last minute. I am the kind of person who plans 12 months ahead for the next trip.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:51 PM

There's no point calling them today, or find a travel agent today, as the flights and prices are not posted by the airline yet.

If you must get the tickets early, at least wait 3 months or so before doing it in earnest.

People do not plan travel this far out, and unless you're on a major holiday, flights are unlikely to be full if you buy just a few days ahead. And in the worst case, pay a little more for first class. The fare is very low on a short flight like this that paying FC isn't going to hurt you much.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM

Johnmango: Yes, I checked with our AT&T long distance operator, and you are correct -- 01186-xxxxxxxxx since the 1st 5 digits is China's country code.

I agree with rkkwan, unless you are traveling the golden week 5/1 - 5/7, 2 - 3 months is more than enough.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 02:09 PM

I use elong for lots of flights within China. If you can't see a flight then that means no seats are available. If you can't click on the date then that means the schedule hasn't yet been posted on their site. As far as I know the site doesn't have the 2007 flights listed yet.

An option is to go to Expedia.com (elong's partner) to see at least some options. DO NOT pay those prices though. Book the flight via a Chinese website or a Chinese travel agent.

I use Toby at [email protected]. He speaks english, is based in Shanghai and his company doesn't charge a fee if you use a foreign credit card. As you're not in-country you'll have to fax him your signature to pay for the flights or maybe you can wait until you arrive. I'd guess you'd have your PAPER tickets delivered to your Shanghai hotel. I've never had an agency - including elong - provide e-Tickets for a Chinese airline. elong delivered tickets to my house. Toby can usually get me hotels at lower than any price I can find too. I also have him set us up with local guides and drivers but guides have been a bit hit and miss. I suggest you send Toby an email with your requirements and see what he says.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan, Shanghainese and other experts:

Still totally frustrated with finding airfare information for internal China travel.

1) I really don;t know what's happening with sites like Elong, Ctrip etc. Rkkwan said the price may not be available for May yet, but last Nov I searched for Jan 07 dates and I could at least find the price (about $140 US). But now no matter what dates I entered in Elong (I even try next week), I would always get "no flights available". The Ctrip site just kept freezing up.

2) Through Kayak (as suggested by Paulchili) I got a price of US$177 return, but I could not directly book through them because they have no association with Shanghai Airline. Cheapo Air got me a orice of $140 + $60tax for a total of $200.

3) Is US$200 for a 1-hour flight from Shanghai to Huangshan (Tunxi) the usual price people pay? It seems expensive to me. But these are prices quoted when I inout travel dates for late Jan or early Feb 07.

4) Even a couple of travel agents I contacted (China Odessy Travel) said their price is $198. So why would I need to go through the agents if I can get that myself???
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM

I seriously feel that you should just get the ticket last minute after you get to Shanghai.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Try zuji.com. Recently I have found great fares (similar to the elong/ctrip, but much more user friendly) on them.

I punched in Feb 2, one-way fare is $72 + $13 fees = US$85 on FM9265 PVG-TXN that I've listed.

Nothing came up for May.

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:44 AM

That's probably a full Y-fare, and that's not what most people pay. People buy local, close to departure date, and pay less.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan

Both China Odyssey Tour and China Highlights (I think they are both based in either Beijing or Shanghai) told me that $85 one-way is the best they can do, and if I can find something cheaper - go ahead and book it myself.

So when you said: "buy local" you mean "wait till I go to Shanghai and walk into one of the local travel agents", rather than even going through China Odyssey or China Highlights, right?
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Yes, that's what I mean.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:52 AM

DO you have your hotel booked yet? Maybe you can contact the hotel desk and see if they can help.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Shanghainese ..

No I have not booked the hotel yet - but have decided to stay at the Astor House Hotel.

I sent them an email asking them about luggage storage about 4 months ago, and have not received any response from them, so there is no way they would care about helping us with airline tickets.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Johnmango: I called Elong and they said it's still to early to book, their schedules come out 4 - 6 weeks in advance. Probably try in March.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Hi, I just jumped in here and am trying to book one way multi city flights in China May of 07 as well.

I used www.flyChina.com and they sent me prices and itinerary for May. The only flight they didn't have a schedule for was Shanghai to Guiling.

I guess I'd just like to know why noone has mentioned this website. Has anyone used them? Are their rates good?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -