first visit to vietnam and cambodia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently planning my first visit to cambodia and vietnam for three weeks. I am unsure whether to fly directly into either country or first to Bangkok and then stay there for a day before continuing on my journey. Any advice?

Also would you recommend getting your flights between the cities ( hanoi-HCM) from the USA or when I arrive.
BTW I leave in less than 30 days
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM

If you're not planning to visit Thailand at all, there's no reason to fly into Bangkok. There are lots of flights into Hanoi or HCMC from the US, via mainly Hong Kong or Taipei. You can get to Cambodia from either city, without going through Bangkok. It's something of a myth that you have to fly to Bangkok to get to Cambodia.

I'm one of those people who thinks waiting until you get some place to make travel plans is shear lunacy, so I would definitely make reservations for internal flights ahead of time. In this case, I also happen to know from direct experience that flights between HCMC and Hanoi tend to fill up a week in advance.

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM

I'd take a look at flight prices. Usually, Bangkok is the least expensive sity to fly to from the US. Flying into VN is often $300-400 more. So you might start by looking at prices and see what makes sense for you.

Like Michael, I have interest in spending my vacation trying to put together flights. Buy them ahead.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a flight between HCMC and Hanoi when you get to Vietnam. The only exception to this is if you're flying during TET. There are 19 flights (some days 20) between the 2 cities via either Vietnam Airlines or Pacific Airlines. If you feel you must book before you arrive, you can use one of these websites to do so for VN Airlines or you can book directly with Pacific Airlines.

http://english.ivivu.com/

https://www.pacificairlines.com.vn/Search.aspx

The going rate for airfare in February between HCMC and Hanoi is $194 on VN Air or as low as $154 on Pacific Air r/t.

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

thank you for your advice. It will surely help me in my planning.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Perhaps you could consider an open-jawed schedule, say fly into Bangkok and out of HCMC or Hanoi. I'm one of those lunatics who doesn't plan anything until they hit the ground, mind you I generally have more than three weeks up my sleeve.

Consider a couple of days in Bangkok, travel to Siem Reap (one day by road), 3 days to a week, Phnom Penh three days then on to Vietnam. I think two weeks is a bit shoret to see all of Vietnam, suggest two weeks in the south or the North or pick out a few highlights and skip the rest. I have friends who rated Phu Quoc very highly.

http://www.travelsinasia.com