First trip to Thailand with 14 year old daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling for 3 weeks in Thailand from Dec.20th till Jan. 5th...
We will be travelling from Brussels, I would like to combine culture, nature, beach and cooking...Thinking of 2 days Bangkok, drive to Chiang Rai, fly to Koh Samui...all ideas are welcome, for my daughter this will be a first contact with Asia..we are on a low to average budget
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 10:26 AM

You will be smack in the middle of the very high season in Thailand, which means higher prices. Can you give us an idea of your hotel budget range.

Two days in Bangkok is not enough, you need at least 3 and 4 or 5 would be even better. You have quite a long vacation and can afford the time in Bangkok.

Why are you going by car to Chiang Rai? I would think a plane or a train would be a better option than hiring a car and driver for that long a distance.

IMO Koh Samui is still a little bit on the rainy side in December, but not too bad and prices would be lower. If you are very much into snorkeling or scuba diving, you might want to skip it at that time, esp for diving, as water clarity is not as good. Phuket side is better (but prices are higher).

For Bangkok, take a look at prices at the Bankgok Marriott REsort and Spa , a great hotel and you can generally get good rates. They will match any rate you get from an internet site, so hunt around and then make them an offer. (There is also a JW Marriott in Bangkok, it is more of a business hotel and location is not on the river._ Most of the other chains will as well, you might consider the Sheraton Royal Orchid also on the river. The consensus of people here is that you want to be on the river in Bangkok. IMO the pool and grounds at the MArriott are the best (esp for a child) and they have shade, a welcome commodity in that heat and sun.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 03:52 PM

For good rates for hotel rooms try www.pricelines.com. Look at www.biddingfortravel.com b4 that to get tips if u have not used it before. there are a number of low cost airlines operating in Thailand now so you can look at those before you decide how to transfer between locations. Pull up JamesA's (double clik on his name in any post) earlier posts on the low cost airlines. I agree with Cicerone that 2 days in kk is very short - think both you and your daughter will enjoy the culture and activities in Bkk so budget, IM), 4-5.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:23 PM

i might suggest a longer time for you in bangkok and bag the trip north...spend time in bkk, then go to the beach and then return to bkk...marriott is an excellent choice for you or any of the centre point apartments which you might find cheaper...staying on the river is fun...
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:15 PM

if your on a low budget and want too go too the north quicly, cheeply try one of the budget arilines

airasia
nok
one2go

driving yourself is insane and if you crash "it's your fault? no matter what..

I think staying around Kao san rd.. is fun for young people.. lots of funky shops, jewlary, well just a young backpacker vibe.